Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Gifts for Canadians

British Gifts for Canadians

Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Gifts for Canadians

Affordable car insurance. Developed driving standards
Old Jun 19th 2015, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

This is kind of a strange one, but hear me out... Sainsburys Jute Grocery Bags, the sort of "burlap" style ones. (http://www.dhtcollections.com/images...012.18.1.1.jpg) I brought back a BUCKET of these bags as I generally liked them for groceries - I like the longer handles, that they are quite sturdy, and that they are lined so easy to wipe clean if I get anything gross in them, plus they look smart. I get comments on them EVERYWHERE. Grocery baggers, cashiers, other shoppers, I get asked on probably 60% of trips where I have those bags where I got them or how great these bags are. The baggers love them because they actually stand up and hold their shape, and I like them because of everything I mentioned above.[/QUOTE]

I second this! I too get loads of comments about what great bags they are! We have got bags from the shops here but they are tiny and hold no weight. My Tesco and Asda bags ( just as good as Sainsbury's- I do miss Sainsbury's ) are looking a little sad, and the liners are peeling off but they are still my fav.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princesstigger
you can get Green and Blacks in Bulk Barn here in Regina, but you do pay an arm and a leg for it!

Recently found it in our local Foodland (Mount Albert) but in the organic section, not with the other choc
Old Jun 19th 2015, 2:21 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

Green and Black's is stocked in our local Shoppers - it's with all the other chocolate. Also, PG Tips is definitely not the same here! We did find a source of proper PG in the States but there's rarely more than 3 or 4 small boxes available.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:19 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Cadburys chocolate
Cheeses (hard only.. stilton's etc)
Hello Magazine (for the sad royalists)
Harrods bags ( for snobs)
He is talking about gifts for Canadians not Brits in Canada.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:22 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nasher011
Hello I am going to Saskatchewan for the summer and wanted to know what British gifts (edible or otherwise) would be welcomed. I do not want to haul a tonne of stuff over to find it in the local Walmart. I am taking a couple of Superdry T-shirts for the teens as they are the label to have here, although the Japanese inspired logos may be a little confusing as it is a British clothing company - we are left confused too!
I know you can get most things over there and see most of our chocolate brands appearing. Not Thorntons though and they are delicious so they might not make the plane journey
If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear from you.
Thanks in anticipation
Who are you visiting in Saskatchewan and why do you feel the need to bring gifts for Canadians?

Canada is not a third world nation where you need to bring gifts for the natives.
Old Jun 19th 2015, 3:26 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Blackpool Rock
Old Jun 19th 2015, 5:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Coloured loo roll and kitchen roll. I've known Canadians take that back home with them.
Pillow slips with a fold at the end so your pillow doesn't come adrift.
Pears soap.
Paramol.
Hobnobs,
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Nasher011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Who are you visiting in Saskatchewan and why do you feel the need to bring gifts for Canadians?

Canada is not a third world nation where you need to bring gifts for the natives.
I was asking a genuine question for advice on a gift to take to my hosts in Canada. I do not think they are a 'third world nation' where I am bringing 'gifts for the natives'!
This is an offensive post.
Thank you everyone else who has given me some really great suggestions.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nasher011
This is an offensive post.
I think you're misreading it - the 'wink' smilies indicates that the person who wrote it was joking and it's certainly not meant to be offensive.

HTH.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Blackpool Rock
never, it has too be Southport rock

As well as a bag a 'Victory V' lozenges & 'Uncle Joes'
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Pears soap and hobnobs are available in Victoria as well as many other items which seem to be on the wanted list by ex-pats. I will try to post pics. of what are available in my local Thriftys Store here.
It may take me awhile to do this. Maybe tomorrow. It is now 10.20 pm . Way past my bedtime.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
...a bag a 'Victory V' lozenges & 'Uncle Joes'
And Fisherman's Friend. Doesn't everyone like to suck on a Fisherman's Friend?
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And Fisherman's Friend. Doesn't everyone like to suck on a Fisherman's Friend?
That would be carrying coals to Newcastle. Readily available at drug stores here.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:01 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't British but it's what I'd want from the duty-free (big bottle and 160 proof). One drop on the tongue tastes like biting into a Cadbury rum and butter candy bar. It's what the Boys From Brazil put in their tea.
In all seriousness I think it's very nice of you to put so much effort into choosing gifts for your hosts and I hope you have a great time in my province.
Attached Thumbnails British Gifts for Canadians-strohrum.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.