Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Gifts for Canadians

British Gifts for Canadians

Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Gifts for Canadians

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Don't recognise the tim tam things but that's just like one of the Sobeys stores here. Not sure if the others have that selection too.
Timtams are Australian biscuits.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Occasionally I will treat myself to the odd genuine UK treat but there are North American equivalents or similar just as good. Over time and the longer you stay you will eventually lose that Oh I must have some UK food.
Generally true. But there are exceptions. Walmart, Bulk Barn and Sobeys stock large pickled onions in brown vinegar; Rose's Lime Marmalade, Branston Pickle, Custard creams, Bourbon creams, walnut whips, flakes.

There's obviously perfectly good chocolate here but walnut whips and flakes do not have an equivalent. Pickled onions here are those little silverskin things and they're really not the same.

I've not seen any version lf Lime Marmalade. There are Orios and Maple creams but they're really not the same and is there something like Branston?

Now Dad's Oat cookies...they're on a par with Hobnobs

Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.caffeinecam.com/img/prod/4da4f9e8d525a.jpg
When I was on the CPR section gang in the 70's if we were working east of Regina sometimes we'd stop at the Dad's Cookie factory in White City and buy a big bag of broken cookies for $1 and eat them in the truck on the way back into town.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Generally true. But there are exceptions. Walmart, Bulk Barn and Sobeys stock large pickled onions in brown vinegar; Rose's Lime Marmalade, Branston Pickle, Custard creams, Bourbon creams, walnut whips, flakes.

There's obviously perfectly good chocolate here but walnut whips and flakes do not have an equivalent. Pickled onions here are those little silverskin things and they're really not the same.

I've not seen any version lf Lime Marmalade. There are Orios and Maple creams but they're really not the same and is there something like Branston?

http://www.caffeinecam.com/img/prod/4da4f9e8d525a.jpg
Sorry my pics were not very clear. On the shelves there were jars of Roses Lime marmalade, Flaky bars and walnut whips and Branston and Ploughman's pickle, large pickled onions etc.
Or were you perhaps saying that there is no Canadian equivalent of these items. .Sorry I misunderstood
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo
Sorry my pics were not very clear. On the shelves there were jars of Roses Lime marmalade, Flaky bars and walnut whips and Branston and Ploughman's pickle, large pickled onions etc.
Or were you perhaps saying that there is no Canadian equivalent of these items. .Sorry I misunderstood
Yes, the second one....no Canadian equivalent.

I happily have Canadian baked beans, cadburys, marmalade and many others.

Oh...Colmans cook in sauce mixes are a miss too. Oh yes, and some of the many UK stuffings - apple and herb, sage and red onion, chestnut, roasted garlic and herb, lemon and thyme, Cranberry and Chestnut etc etc.

What do we get here, stuffing with a few cranberries or without.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Nasher011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Largo
Hope this works today. All found in my local grocery store.Thrifys in Victoria. I think it is owned by Sobeys, or one of the other chains.
Wow - thank you. This makes me feel right at home. Love my custard, brown sauce and Tunnock's teacakes.... (but not all together)... hungry now.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Bit non-plussed about the comments to bring over Cadbury's, you can get that anywhere, they sell it at the gas station.

I appreciate the basic stuff made in Ontario isn't quite as good as the British stuff, however all the stuff with banana bits, etc. in is imported from the UK, look at the wrapper. Also the 1Kg bars they sell at Christmas are imported.

And this assumes that the person in question is fussy, I don't find Canadians as a rule are as interested in confectionery as British people.

I noticed that the dark chocolate Kit Kats are imported from the UK as well.

My suggestion would be Lucozade (the original variety) if you want to give some sort of unusual food item. Liquid glucose is pretty much unknown here and it does have quite a bizarre taste by Canadian standards. Booze is a good idea as well but then you have to get it past CBSA.

Or possibly some bizarre flavour of crisps? Like a few bags of Monster Munch?

But personally I think some naff souvenir is probably the thing to go with.
Old Jun 27th 2015, 1:54 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Steve_
...Cadbury's...the stuff with banana bits...
Well that was a surprise