Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British-French family wanting to immigrate

Wikiposts

British-French family wanting to immigrate

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 9:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British-French family wanting to immigrate

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
I sure hope they're not trying to stamp out sensible things like septante, octante, huitante, nonante, etc.
They, at least the gang I currently work with, use huitante but not nonante. But then they're in Canada so they use French with Imperial, not metric, measures. Perhaps that explains it.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 10:59 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
They, at least the gang I currently work with, use huitante but not nonante. But then they're in Canada so they use French with Imperial, not metric, measures. Perhaps that explains it.
I've never heard anyone here use those words, not even navvies. I thought they were a Belgian/Swiss thing. I don't recall hearing them when I lived in France.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvy
I've never heard anyone here use those words, not even navvies. I thought they were a Belgian/Swiss thing. I don't recall hearing them when I lived in France.
Yes, they are mainly Swiss (possibly Belgian too, I can't remember). Some areas of France, mainly those close to the border with Switzerland (French speaking part), used to use them: I remember my great-gran, and occasionally my grand mother too, using them. Not heard anyone French say these words since though! They are seen very old fashioned and regional.

Last time I actually did hear anyone at all say these words, was the Swiss girl at the check-in at Geneva airport.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nerdherd
Not heard anyone French say these words since though! They are seen very old fashioned and regional.
I believe they were once used by the vast majority of French-speaking people outside the Ile-de-France. French centralisation policy eradicated it, just like most regional languages in France. Except in places where the French govt. could not exert its influence - like Switzerland or Belgium. Hence my surprise at French Canadians not using those words?

The words make a lot of sense to me, though. I use them and Francophones understand them, it does amuse them somewhat though.

When I was in my teenage years, I used to "get back" at the French (as in citizens of France) for their silly numbering system by translating ninety-two as huitante-douze. That taught them!! I've since lost my appetite for collective punishment ;-)

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Apr 3rd 2012 at 11:48 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:15 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they were once used by the vast majority of French-speaking people outside the Ile-de-France. French centralisation policy eradicated it, just like most regional languages in France. Except in places where the French govt. could not exert its influence - like Switzerland or Belgium. Hence my surprise at French Canadians not using those words?

The words make a lot of sense to me, though. I use them and Francophones understand them, it does amuse them somewhat though.

When I was in my teenage years, I used to "get back" at the French (as in citizens of France) for their silly numbering system by translating ninety-two as huitante-douze. That taught them!! I've since lost my appetite for collective punishment ;-)
Why would French Canadians talk like the French? Things have changed rather a lot over the last few centuries. French Canadians are North Americans, not Europeans. I'll admit that I find it easier to speak French with Europeans but that's only because I learned to speak French in France (and still have the accent, apparently).
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would French Canadians talk like the French? Things have changed rather a lot over the last few centuries. French Canadians are North Americans, not Europeans. I'll admit that I find it easier to speak French with Europeans but that's only because I learned to speak French in France (and still have the accent, apparently).
I agree - that's why I found it odd that French Canadians don't use huitante/nonante/etc. Perhaps the Francophone parts of Canada remained French just long enough to receive a dose of French-state language harmonisation?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - that's why I found it odd that French Canadians don't use huitante/nonante/etc. Perhaps the Francophone parts of Canada remained French just long enough to receive a dose of French-state language harmonisation?
Down here in South West Nova Scotia the Acadians say huitante etc...

I really enjoy eavesdropping on them, although I struggle slightly with their accent...
The other day one was giving directions to another. At one stage he said "tu vas une miette plus loin". I loved it!!!
I told him I thought it was funny (he's my hairdresser, I don't verbally abuse random people on the street!) and he was shocked that the French didn't use that expression!!!!

Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Down here in South West Nova Scotia the Acadians say huitante etc...

I really enjoy eavesdropping on them, although I struggle slightly with their accent...
The other day one was giving directions to another. At one stage he said "tu vas une miette plus loin". I loved it!!!
I told him I thought it was funny (he's my hairdresser, I don't verbally abuse random people on the street!) and he was shocked that the French didn't use that expression!!!!

A crumb?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 12:47 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

I regularly used the septante and nonante when living in Brussels. Like you, I've never heard them used in Ottineau or indeed in my travels in Quebec.

Interesting to hear they are used in NB though!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A crumb?
Yep! Quaint isn't it? I suppose a crumb is small so telling somebody to go a "crumb" further suggests just going only a little further. Easy!!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Yep! Quaint isn't it? I suppose a crumb is small so telling somebody to go a "crumb" further suggests just going only a little further. Easy!!
I suppose the professional translation would be "go a tad further".
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I suppose the professional translation would be "go a tad further".
That works for me. I'll eavesdrop some more to see whether I can come up with some other gems...