Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Family moving to BC

British Family moving to BC

Old Apr 12th 2018, 3:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Family moving to BC

Originally Posted by julia1973
To that end I’m starting to lean toward the Kelowna area, otherwise it'd just be swopping one rat race for another (albeit with better weather!).

If there are any other areas you think we should consider (not further than 4/5 hours from VC) I’m happy to take any suggestions. We’re planning a trip to the Okanagan in July, so we should be able to get a good idea of what the area is like when flooded with tourists and at its’ most ‘uncomfortable’.
Be aware that traffic and commuting across Kelowna can be a chore - the summertime exacerbates it, and getting from one side to the other of the city can easily take 45min +
Old Apr 12th 2018, 3:53 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have just moved to Vernon last month! My wife is from Kelowna and we lived there together for a couple of years when we first met (some 12yrs ago) but have been in the UK for the past 12yrs. We have visited family many times since of course and know the okanagan very well. Personally, moving to Vancouver or anywhere on the coastal side of the mountains is akin to staying in the UK, its expensive, busy, and rainy and cloudy. The Okanagan on the other hand is a delight! Dry, cold snowy winters, hot and dry summers, very little humidity so even when its knocking on 40degC it is bareable. Kelowna is way too big and way too busy for my liking, especially in summer. Everything is spread out and far apart. That being said, people who complain about traffic here have clearly never lived in or around London (im from Berkshire).
We fell in love with Revelstoke but its very small and abit remote, especially in the winter, for a family wth kids and also little employment opportunities. Vernon was the perfect middle ground (for us) - about 40,000 people, everything is close I can drive across town in about 10minutes, if not less, it has everything you need and Kelowna is only 40mins drive for bigger shopping like costco. Vernon also has the beach on Kalamalka, far nicer than the downtown beaches of kelowna in my opinion, also the delightful kal park, ellison park, the ski hill is only 25mins drive (big white is about 50mins from kelowna) I could go on for days. We did alot of research, know the okanagan well and we just absolutely love Vernon. Someone above said something about being over 55? Everyone I have met is middle age (30-50) with kids and has moved there for the outdoor lifestyle, hiking, biking, watersports, skiing, etc. Lots of good schools, lots of parks, a cinema, skating rinks, a pool, somebody stop me now I could go on all day. As for community everyone seems to want to help, so welcoming and friendly. Any questions you have just let me know.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 4:10 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

We’re planning a trip to the Okanagan in July, so we should be able to get a good idea of what the area is like when flooded with tourists and at its’ most ‘uncomfortable’.

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback, every bit is very helpful.
By the way we will soon have our 2 bedroom basement suite (with its own living room, kitchen, bathroom and access to a garden and hot tub) on airbnb if you need a place to stay and some recently relocated brits for advice! It's on Middleton Mountain, South Vernon (almost Coldstream) , just minutes from the beach on Kal lake.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 4:30 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much!
If you want to do a house swap with me during the IOM TT this year (or next) let me know. I live in Kamloops, would be a good base for you to explore the area and me fulfill one of my dreams
Old Apr 12th 2018, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

TrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to behold

If there are any other areas you think we should consider (not further than 4/5 hours from VC) I’m happy to take any suggestions. We’re planning a trip to the Okanagan in July, so we should be able to get a good idea of what the area is like when flooded with tourists and at its’ most ‘uncomfortable’.

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback, every bit is very helpful.
What about Vancouver Island? I lived in Victoria for a 11+ years and really enjoyed life there.

While housing prices in Victoria have risen rapidly over the past few years, there are other towns on the Island where homes can be found at more reasonable prices. Nanaimo, Ladysmith, Duncan and Courtenay-Comox to name a few.

You're seeking a place to live with plenty of outdoor options. There are few places better in B.C. for this than Vancouver Island.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
On what basis would you be emigrating?
...So, for the purposes of this post, my focus is on where, as opposed to how we move over...
So for clarification purposes, is the underlined part your response to Snowy in that you already have the immigration requirements accounted for.

It's just that there are sometimes questions from people who are unaware there's more to it than deciding to move to Canada.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

TrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to beholdTrickyTreeRed is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by madeupname3
Does Canada have segregation problems? Its portrayed as a multicultural paradise and I've wondered what the reality is. I don't feel things are going particularly well in that respect over here in the UK.
It depends. I now live in Metro Vancouver and observe that many (but not all) whose ancestry is from China, India other countries in Asia do not fully integrate into a Canadian way of life. They tend to conduct their lives, private and business, within their own 'communities' and stick to themselves. Sometimes the old politics of the 'mother country' also play an important role. An example being the Khalistan issue for some Sikhs. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-violence.html

That being said, many of my friends are immigrants (as am I) or sons and daughters of immigrants from differing backgrounds who have fully integrated into Canadian society. I was even going to marry a lady of Tamil ethnicity (until her parents told her she could not marry a white man - but that's another story).

I've also lived in Ottawa where i noticed no issues of segregation, unless the Toronto Maple Leafs of Montreal Canadiens was discussed. Same in Victoria.

At the end of the day, anyone who wishes to embrace a Canadian way of life will be embraced.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 9:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTreeRed
It depends. I now live in Metro Vancouver and observe that many (but not all) whose ancestry is from China, India other countries in Asia do not fully integrate into a Canadian way of life. They tend to conduct their lives, private and business, within their own 'communities' and stick to themselves. Sometimes the old politics of the 'mother country' also play an important role. An example being the Khalistan issue for some Sikhs. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-violence.html

That being said, many of my friends are immigrants (as am I) or sons and daughters of immigrants from differing backgrounds who have fully integrated into Canadian society. I was even going to marry a lady of Tamil ethnicity (until her parents told her she could not marry a white man - but that's another story).

I've also lived in Ottawa where i noticed no issues of segregation, unless the Toronto Maple Leafs of Montreal Canadiens was discussed. Same in Victoria.

At the end of the day, anyone who wishes to embrace a Canadian way of life will be embraced.
There's no segregation in Canada. No division of busses according to the colour of the passengers, no areas where banks will only grant mortgages to whites.

There are concentrations of people of particular ethnicities, where shops, restaurants and even house architecture tailored to that ethnicity but it's not segregation; people travel to Greeektown to eat Greek food and to Brampton for curries. There is nowhere one cannot go because of colour.

I explicitly do not embrace the "Canadian way of life". Today was a day for wearing ice hockey shirts to the office. It was plain that about 15% of people embrace that conceit and own suitable garments. There's absolutely no need nor reason to join in with what the cradles do and most people do not. Cradle Canadians are just another minority.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 9:35 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by madeupname3
Does Canada have segregation problems? Its portrayed as a multicultural paradise and I've wondered what the reality is. I don't feel things are going particularly well in that respect over here in the UK.
Canada probably has a reputation as a 'multicultural paradise' because it was the first Western country to adopt multiculturalism as an official policy back in the 70s.

I thought when I lived in London that people of different backgrounds were more integrated and there was more mutual respect between people of various ethnicities. That was over 10 years ago though. I also find in the Lower Mainland that there is a certain amount of self-segregation in neighborhoods and even in some workplaces.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 9:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
I also find in the Lower Mainland that there is a certain amount of self-segregation in neighborhoods and even in some workplaces.
That's what a multi-culture is. Every day I here people talking, about work, in "Chinese" and in Hindi, occasionally there's a meeting in Russian. If there are people involved in the conversation who do not speak the preferred language then everyone switches to English. Canadians make a huge deal of this though, in fact, the same happens in Milton Keynes and King of Prussia.

People tend to congregate, especially if they have extended families including members who do not speak English. Over time the area is modelled to suit them (no gardens or trees in Brampton, for example). That's not wrong, that's what we do too; all trudge along to Oakville or the Beach because the pubs suit us.

Segregation, state sponsored discrimination, doesn't apply here, as it does not in the UK. I question the motive for using such a loaded term.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 12th 2018 at 9:45 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 10:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Today was a day for wearing ice hockey shirts to the office. ..
Why? Something to do with last Friday's tragedy or something else?
Old Apr 12th 2018, 10:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Why? Something to do with last Friday's tragedy or something else?
Tasteless cash in on some sort of bus crash.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 10:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

No different to the plane that crashed with all the Man U players on in 1958. The country mourned together then, and still do today.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 2:07 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

And this just reminds me exactly why I very rarely publically post on here any more
Old Apr 13th 2018, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

what a disgusting comment

There was no money raising associated with this, at least not by the organisers.

As Donny B posted ...

No different to the plane that crashed with all the Man U players on in 1958. The country mourned together then, and still do today.
The deaths of the Busby Babes caused a very similar outpouring of grief. I lived close to Manchester, and Man United were "our" team.

Last edited by scilly; Apr 13th 2018 at 3:08 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.