Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British education vs Canadian

British education vs Canadian

Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British education vs Canadian

Originally Posted by gengo
The OECD programme for international student assessment (PISA) 2009 rankings can be found here:
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/54/12/46643496.pdf

See also http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11929277

At this point this time, Canada performs better than the UK in the overall ranking (6th vs. 25th). Having taught at Universities in the UK and Canada, I am not surprised by this outcome.
Surveys and averages are fine but as the previous posting suggests I tend to think individuals are more important than systems. That said the fact that Canada ranks 6th as an average is a good thing, although the results for the PISA 2009 on the Alberta education which show the individual provinces vary widely with Alberta top suggest the standard is not uniform across Canada. Even if systems were considered the most important issue the Canada compared to UK debate which crops up now and again is something of a flawed comparison as education is a provincial matter in Canada and within the UK systems vary also.

The top european country in the PISA 2009 is Finland. I recall reading something within the last year which said that that Finland acknowledged it did well at getting the majority to a certain standard but was less successful at stretching the top end.

The UK results were broadly similar to other large western countries ie France, Germany and USA so I suspect they're not exactly a disaster. It would be interesting to know the survey results for 10%, 25% for each country to see the range and how that compared to the average.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

Thanks Gengo, I knew I had seen it, the story must be based on the report that you posted a link to.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Bernadette I is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh! That was a bit hard on me, but thanks for all the responses. Needed to check how the educational system would impact on my girls before submitting an application.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you can tell us which visa you'll be on and which province you'll be going to, then people can advise you better. As I'm sure you are aware, each province in Canada is like a mini country with it's own rules, laws and regulations. Consequently, the education system will vary, so we really need more info to be able to help you.

Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by jericho
I find it hard to fathom how people can investigate moving to places that they dont even know the name of. New Columbia? Burlington in Alberta?

Sweet Jesus.
how long have you lived in sherwood park?
we lived there for 2yrs before moving towards red deer......i loved sherwood park!!!! was there for new years eve yeah !!!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bernadette I
Gosh! That was a bit hard on me, but thanks for all the responses. Needed to check how the educational system would impact on my girls before submitting an application.
Perhaps you should read this so as to be better informed about Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada
Old Jan 18th 2011, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

My two pennieth. Stop worry about the girls, they'll be fine. The education system is as good if not better than the UK, just different. I teach in Calgary and have found the kids much more focused in general.

Decide where you want to be and go for it.

Poppit.