Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British driving licence

British driving licence

Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British driving licence

Originally Posted by neilg14
It's better to get a replacement DL before moving here then hand over the replacement one for the Canadian DL, keeping your original.
I've had a motorbike licence for 35 yrs but when I swapped in Canada, lost that entitlement, now when I go on holiday I cannot rent a motorbike anymore.
I didn't expect Canada to give me that entitlement but didn't know Canada takes your UK DL.
Hindsight..............
It is illegal to hold more than one driving licence in Canada.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:29 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day, with this thread, who really cares? Anyone with any sense must be able to acknowledge that a UK licence is not valid in the UK if the person named on that licence is not resident in the UK. You may still "have" a UK licence because no-one ever asked you to exchange it, but if you were in any trouble that required the validation of said licence, I think you would find it is not valid. I think the moral issues, semantics and all the other "yeh but's" in this debate are broadly irrelevant. Unless you can give a valid UK address at which you reside and you are legally a resident of the UK, it would seem pretty unequivocal to me that you cannot hold a current "valid" UK driving licence. If anyone is, frankly, arrogant enough to think all these laws don't apply to them for some reason, then welcome to the world shared with my father in law!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:37 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

No one cares until you are in a shunt with a non insured driver. Ouch.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
It is illegal to hold more than one driving licence in Canada.
Really?

I'm aware that it is illegal in Alberta. Don't know about other provinces, & would be very interested to see any Canadian law/regulations on the subject.

SB

Last edited by Shirtback; Apr 10th 2014 at 12:56 am. Reason: Toning done the sarcasm ;)
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Really?

I'm aware that it is illegal in Alberta. Don't know about other provinces, & would be very interested to see any Canadian law/regulations on the subject.

SB
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing.../other-country

Giving up your previous licence
Please note that when you qualify for your new B.C. licence, you’ll need to surrender your previous licence to ICBC. B.C. law requires that you only have one driver's licence.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing.../other-country

Giving up your previous licence
Please note that when you qualify for your new B.C. licence, you’ll need to surrender your previous licence to ICBC. B.C. law requires that you only have one driver's licence.
At the risk of stirring up a particularly murky pot, I'd like to leap to the defence of Shirtback.

I am also in possession of two driving licences (only one of which, the Ontario one is valid for driving). The other though (in my case as it happens a German one) is still legally in my possession and has not expired (it will expire on my 70th birthday, yet some way off).

I can (and will) swap it for a French licence next year, thus avoiding having to take a test there. It's proof that I am licensed to drive in the EU even though I can't use it to drive in the EU.

HTH

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 10th 2014 at 2:07 am.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:08 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
At the risk of stirring up a particularly murky pot, I'd like to leap to the defence of Shirtback.

I am also in possession of two driving licences (only one of which, the Ontario one) is valid for driving. The other though (in my case as it happens a German one) is still legally in my possession and has not expired (it will expire on my 70th birthday, yet some way off).

I can (and will) swap it for a French licence next year, thus avoiding having to take a test there. It's proof that I am licensed to drive in the EU even though I can't use it to drive in the EU.

HTH
You're quite correct in what you say and in that context it makes sense that you can convert your German licence for a French one without having to apply for a new ~German one. I suppose it's a bit like being, say, a chartered accountant. You can have passed all the exams and been admitted to the institute, but unless you pay your annual dues, you are not entitled to call yourself a Chartered Accountant. Same with the licence; you might possess it, but it doesn't mean anyone is entitled to use it.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
You're quite correct in what you say and in that context it makes sense that you can convert your German licence for a French one without having to apply for a new ~German one. I suppose it's a bit like being, say, a chartered accountant. You can have passed all the exams and been admitted to the institute, but unless you pay your annual dues, you are not entitled to call yourself a Chartered Accountant. Same with the licence; you might possess it, but it doesn't mean anyone is entitled to use it.
That's a good analogy.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I am also in possession of two driving licences (only one of which, the Ontario one is valid for driving). The other though (in my case as it happens a German one) is still legally in my possession and has not expired (it will expire on my 70th birthday, yet some way off).

HTH
I was just showing that ICBC explicitly states that BC laws requires you're previous license to be surrendered.. of course if you are not asked to surrender it then that is on them for not enforcing their own laws.

I had to hand mine over before being given my BC license though.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

HTH
Yeah me too... It is not illegal in the whole country, just select provinces. A few on here have attested to the fact that it is perfectly legal in provinces out east...

And about the whole residency thing, like you explained Novo you may have the license but not be entitled to use it.

In my case when I move to Malta, I will have to take a Maltese test as I cannot simply exchange the Canadian (ontario) one for a Maltese one. I will then have two licenses. Only one will be technically valid; the Maltese one, because I am residing in Malta. The Ontario one would be invalid unless I became again resident in Ontario. It would then become valid without me retaking the ontario test. (Correct me if im wrong but im fairly sure thats how it works)
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:37 am
Just Joined

orchardroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i have an international driver's license can i use it in UK? Thanks!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orchardroad
Hi, i have an international driver's license can i use it in UK? Thanks!
Most likely , but what country is your national drivers license from?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
It is illegal to hold more than one driving licence in Alberta
FTFY , now get your facts right on the rest of Canada .
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario:
You are required to surrender your licence with the exception of Japan.
http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing...l-Licence.aspx
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another question.
I know a woman that's been here 6 years in Sept, on a TWP and still driving on her UK licence. I know this is illegal in Alberta but because she is still a resident of the UK, can she legally use that licence elsewhere ?
BTW, she has been caught speeding 5 or 6 times in that time as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.