Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British driving licence

British driving licence

Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British driving licence

[QUOTE=Blossom23;11210685]
Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Why do you think there might be comments on that? There's no issue there.

There's no issue with lots of comments on the forum ... but it doesn't stop folks jumping all over them ...
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:53 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xiangxiang
I have similar question. Thanks a lot.
?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:55 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply for a UK license and use your UK address for your so called UK residence then how long before the TAX man comes knocking and asking how have you survived for so long without paying into the UK tax system ?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:03 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I genuinely can't see what a legitimate reason would be to go to all the trouble of obtainng an invalid driver's licence. Surely, ultimately it can only lead to trouble?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 10:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Christmasoompa,

I'm going to bow out of this thread, as all along I have mentioned that I have a valid license in my country of residence. UK car insurance are aware of this. I'm going to verify my GB license, thanks to the insistence here. The rest is serious thread swerve.

SB
It's not serious thread swerve at all, imo, it's very pertinent to the original question. And frankly, if we tried to keep all threads on track on the forum, I'd not have time to eat!

And your 'valid license in [your] country of residence' is great, as long as that's what you use when you drive in the UK. That way, you're not using an invalid licence, not risking a £1000 fine, and you're complying with the conditions of your insurance by having a valid licence. Nobody has ever said you can't use a valid foreign licence, it's only the UK licence that you can't use unless you're actually resident there.

HTH.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I genuinely can't see what a legitimate reason would be to go to all the trouble of obtainng an invalid driver's licence. Surely, ultimately it can only lead to trouble?
Perhaps but I retain and use a UK license for use in third countries, specifically the US. The reason for renting a car using the UK license in the US is that points accrued for speeding find their way from the US to one's Canadian license if that's been used. If the UK license is used they're lost in Vermont, or wherever.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could just stick to the speed limit
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's not serious thread swerve at all, imo, it's very pertinent to the original question. And frankly, if we tried to keep all threads on track on the forum, I'd not have time to eat!

And your 'valid license in [your] country of residence' is great, as long as that's what you use when you drive in the UK. That way, you're not using an invalid licence, not risking a £1000 fine, and you're complying with the conditions of your insurance by having a valid licence. Nobody has ever said you can't use a valid foreign licence, it's only the UK licence that you can't use unless you're actually resident there.
Re thread swerve: the OP asked about *illegal* means of acquiring/renewing a GB license.

I think what Blossom & I have been trying to point out is that one *can* LEGALLY be in possession of a GB license, when non-resident.

The OP does not appear to be in this position.

SB
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps but I retain and use a UK license for use in third countries, specifically the US. The reason for renting a car using the UK license in the US is that points accrued for speeding find their way from the US to one's Canadian license if that's been used. If the UK license is used they're lost in Vermont, or wherever.

So in extreme circumstances where somebody has actually had their licence suspended for whatever reason could they just whip out another one in that case? (I mean when driving in a third country, so e.g. got banned from driving in Canada, but still hold a UK licence so when visiting US just use UK one)
Would the driving authority even know in the US. Or would it be a bit of a pick a licence, any licence scenario?
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Re thread swerve: the OP asked about *illegal* means of acquiring/renewing a GB license.
Surely the OP asked about what you've done i.e. renewing your licence when you're not actually a UK resident and using an address that you don't live at? Seemed the same thing to me, hence why I didn't see the 'thread swerve' connection.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
So in extreme circumstances where somebody has actually had their licence suspended for whatever reason could they just whip out another one in that case? (I mean when driving in a third country, so e.g. got banned from driving in Canada, but still hold a UK licence so when visiting US just use UK one)
Would the driving authority even know in the US. Or would it be a bit of a pick a licence, any licence scenario?
I've done that but I think it's a bit different from the scenario I described above. In the usual case I've rented the car using the UK license but am, in fact, driving legally on the Canadian license. Fines still reach me (Dashie's option not having crossed my mind before now), points don't, because the ticket is typically initiated electonically based on the vehicle license tag. The rental company cares to recover the fine money and does so based on the credit card used to rent the vehicle, not the license used. If there's no Canadian license then one is driving without a license which some might consider to be a bigger deal than point redirection.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Has anyone, after giving up their British licence for a Canadian one, got another British one after?

i.e. told DVLA they lost it and had a replacement?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Surely the OP asked about what you've done i.e. renewing your licence when you're not actually a UK resident and using an address that you don't live at? Seemed the same thing to me, hence why I didn't see the 'thread swerve' connection.
Which is why I mentioned that my contributions are serious thread swerve I am not in the same situation as the OP, & did not/would not attempt to acquire a DL by deceit.

For the record:

A very long time ago I moved to France. While there, I was - erroneously, apparently - required to obtain a French DL. I was not required to give up my GB one. I still have the French one.

A long time ago I moved to Canada, & back then, I was not required to exchange my GB licence for a QC one, only to show it. So I still have French & GB licences, + QC.

In 2012, I returned to live in UK. Checked validity of UK licence. Although at the time, my return was intended to be permanent, unfortunately life had other plans, & I'm back in Canada. At that time, DVLA advised me that my licence was still valid, recommended that I upgrade to "new" (to me) photo licence. For various reasons, which included commuting UK-CA over 9 months, I never got a round tuit.

To conclude, I still hold a valid UK DL. And a French one. Without being resident in either. Of course, I agree that to renew either, I would need to be legally resident.

Hope that explains my "thread swerve" comment.

SB
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I've done that but I think it's a bit different from the scenario I described above. In the usual case I've rented the car using the UK license but am, in fact, driving legally on the Canadian license. Fines still reach me (Dashie's option not having crossed my mind before now), points don't, because the ticket is typically initiated electonically based on the vehicle license tag. The rental company cares to recover the fine money and does so based on the credit card used to rent the vehicle, not the license used. If there's no Canadian license then one is driving without a license which some might consider to be a bigger deal than point redirection.
Problem I see with that though is it seems then you are making the decision that speeding shouldn't count as a bad thing?
Accruing enough points could eventually result in you in theory losing your licence couldn't it?
At which point do you draw the line and say ok well fair cop if I'd just had one licence and had all those points I would have to stop driving so i'll go and surrender them both now...
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Problem I see with that though is it seems then you are making the decision that speeding shouldn't count as a bad thing?
It's not a bad thing I'm concerned about.

Accruing enough points could eventually result in you in theory losing your licence couldn't it?
It does from time to time, that's how I came to try using the UK one to rent a car in the US; the Canadian one was suspended.

At which point do you draw the line and say ok well fair cop if I'd just had one licence and had all those points I would have to stop driving so i'll go and surrender them both now...
I don't think there is any such point.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's not a bad thing I'm concerned about.

It does from time to time, that's how I came to try using the UK one to rent a car in the US; the Canadian one was suspended.

I don't think there is any such point.
Which is why IMO I think there shouldn't be a way for people to hold more than one licence at a time -or at least they should be linked cos in theory some lunatic could go and mow someone down in one country, get one licence revoked but continue on as if nothing had happened driving with another. (I'm not suggesting you would do that (I hope) but the possibility is there in that case)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.