Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British driving licence

British driving licence

Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British driving licence

Originally Posted by orly
You could be subject to a fine though. Unlikely...as you're not in the UK so it's a bit irrelevant. But if you went back and got pulled over it would be curious.

You do have to be resident for the licence to be valid...so yours is currently a useless piece of plastic
I'll confirm Blossom23's point of view. And add that I got "pulled over" last year driving in UK (North Circular closed by an accident late at night, & I got totally lost on a diversion through North London suburbs & was driving too slowly, while trying to find a spot to pull over & consult a map).

The police were initially suspicious (breathalised me), asked questions about my residency, checked both Qc & GB licences, had no problem with either, & led me through London maze to Camden High Street from where I made it "home".

I'm insured in the UK as a named driver on 2 family members' cars, and 2 different insurance companies don't have a problem with that. They know I live abroad.

DVLA don't seem to be bothered either.

Just to complicate the thread further (), I hold a third country driving licence too...

SB
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'll confirm Blossom23's point of view. And add that I got "pulled over" last year driving in UK (North Circular closed by an accident late at night, & I got totally lost on a diversion through North London suburbs & was driving too slowly, while trying to find a spot to pull over & consult a map).

The police were initially suspicious (breathalised me), asked questions about my residency, checked both Qc & GB licences, had no problem with either, & led me through London maze to Camden High Street from where I made it "home".

I'm insured in the UK as a named driver on 2 family members' cars, and 2 different insurance companies don't have a problem with that. They know I live abroad.

Just to complicate the thread further (), I hold a third country driving licence too...

SB
Until they need to pay out.. then they'll find issue with it!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
Until they need to pay out.. then they'll find issue with it!
Not according to the written riders I have from 'em. However, this, & other threads in a similar vein HAVE got me thinking & checking

SB
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:25 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

SB
They may know you live abroad, but do they know you're effectively driving on an invalid UK licence? I'm sure the police would still have helped you if you'd only offered a Qc licence. What address do you give when renewing your UK licence? Do you actually live at that address? Are you resident in the UK? These are all requirements - from what I've read - for a licence to be valid and, therefore, legal.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
These are all requirements - from what I've read - for a licence to be valid and, therefore, legal.
Yep. "Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country."
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
They may know you live abroad, but do they know you're effectively driving on an invalid UK licence? I'm sure the police would still have helped you if you'd only offered a Qc licence. What address do you give when renewing your UK licence? Do you actually live at that address? Are you resident in the UK? These are all requirements - from what I've read - for a licence to be valid and, therefore, legal.
This is turning into a serious thread swerve, far removed from the OP's original question

I hold a valid Qc license, as well as (AFAIK, but am checking) a valid GB one. Insurance companies have both on file. And have done for years.

I use my UK property address for DVLA. Maybe I' ve been lucky, and perhaps unknowingly illegal, regarding UK licence, for 30 yrs because of this; same address I lived at when I passed my driving test.

Insurance co's have my CDN address on file, & use it to communicate with me occasionally.

As I said, serious thread swerve.

SB
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep. "Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country."
That's interesting, pertinent, & has me rechecking my credentials!

Thank you, Christmasoompa!!

SB
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:08 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

This is turning into a serious thread swerve, far removed from the OP's original question

I hold a valid Qc license, as well as (AFAIK, but am checking) a valid GB one. Insurance companies have both on file. And have done for years.

I use my UK property address for DVLA. Maybe I' ve been lucky, and perhaps unknowingly illegal, regarding UK licence, for 30 yrs because of this; same address I lived at when I passed my driving test.

Insurance co's have my CDN address on file, & use it to communicate with me occasionally.

As I said, serious thread swerve.

SB
The OP was effectively asking at the start whether anyone had obtained a new UK licence by deception (the assumption being the original had been knowingly exchanged), but pretending it had been lost. It would seem all the DVLA information confirms that you cannot hold a valid UK licence unless you are resident there.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:11 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting, pertinent, & has me rechecking my credentials!

Thank you, Christmasoompa!!

SB
It says clear as day on the govUk website that to hold a GB licence you must be resident in GB.

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry, but I don't see any way that your licence (and therefore insurance too) is valid if you're not in fact resident at the address on it.

I'm sure you have to declare UK residency when renewing or obtaining a licence, and give your current address - which would be your Canadian one, as that's where you actually reside!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Christmasoompa,

I'm going to bow out of this thread, as all along I have mentioned that I have a valid license in my country of residence. UK car insurance are aware of this. I'm going to verify my GB license, thanks to the insistence here. The rest is serious thread swerve.

SB
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a thread swerve surely? The OP was asking how to maintain a GB license from Canada, the posts have shown this isn't legally possible.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks to all of you who have pointed out the possible downfalls ... and I'm sorry if my comment has cause a major swerve to this post ... not my intention... honest

I did drive on the UK licence when I was back in the UK for 6 months in 2010 and my Dads insurance guy set up additional insurance on my Dad vehicle knowing full well that I was over for an extended period from Canada ...and using my UK licence.. In fact he preferred it, I had both of them with me ... But I wonder now just how secure that was when I read all your comments

I have to be honest, I haven't used when I've visited since. I use my Canadian license as I purchase insurance through my canadian Visa ... Certainly it's food for thought though and thanks once again to all of you for pointing it out ...

And just to add a little fuel to this little controversy ... When i went to the UK for those 6 months, I travelled to the UK on a UK passport and back to Canada on a Canadian one ... Lets see what you all make of that ...before I admit that they were both one-way tickets..
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blossom23
And just to add a little fuel to this little controversy ... When i went to the UK for those 6 months, I travelled to the UK on a UK passport and back to Canada on a Canadian one ... Lets see what you all make of that ...before I admit that they were both one-way tickets..
Why do you think there might be comments on that? There's no issue there.

Although one unrelated question might be asked. Depending on your province, you might have violated rules concerning your health card.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Blossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond reputeBlossom23 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Novocastrian;11210675]

Why do you think there might be comments on that? There's no issue there.

There's no issue with lots of comments on the forum ... but it doesn't stop folks jumping all over them ...

Last edited by Blossom23; Apr 8th 2014 at 10:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.