Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British driving licence

British driving licence

Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British driving licence

Originally Posted by JAJ
No exceptions? Really?

So firstly, the U.K. would be in breach of its European agreements since a valid member state licence is supposed to be used by the holder in a new country of residence unless and until it is exchanged for a new one from that Member State. There is usually a 6 month waiting period.

Secondly, a person who moves (for example) from Great Britain to Ontario would be unable to use their GB licence in the 60 days that ON sets to get a local licence. A person who moves with a work permit to NSW, Australia, may not be able to get a local licence for some time (if at all), so would they become effectively banned from driving? NSW allows temporary residents to use foreign licences indefinitely as long as they remain valid.

Parliament could change the law to anything it likes, however I don't know of any jurisidiction that automatically revokes otherwise valid drivers licences upon cessation of residence.
I said such as to make the point. Obviously someone moving from the UK to Ontario would deemed to have a valid licence for X amount of time until they swap it over and of course vice versa. NSW is in Australia and we are talking about UK law. If the Aussies are OK with that then who am I to argue.
As you can see just from this thread the legislation is open to interpretation to the average lay person and they don't fully understand this. Look at the language in the legislation and you don't need to be a genius to figure out it was written by lawyers to keep them in a job Doesn't the same confusion appear on the Do I need a PR card to travel back to Canada threads?
Keep the legislation simple is all Im saying.
I passed my driving test in 1976 and I emigrated in 1988 so do I still have a valid driving licence Yes. Did I change my address when I moved to Canada NO. Did I swap over my licence No as it wasn't mandatory. I still have the old green one piece no photo ID licence which was issued to people and usually expired on their 65th birthday.
I have no intention of driving in Canada or the UK on it but if I did move back its proof I held one and could be used as supplemental ID if necessary.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British driving licence

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
We'll have to agree to disagree.
Sounds like an excellent idea to me! Done

(I actually think we agreed more than it might appear from this thread, & some of the particular circumstances & scenarios posited herein ).

S