Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Driving Licence

British Driving Licence

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of
Default British Driving Licence

I've read people suggesting that it's a good idea to get a duplicate of your British Driving Licence before emigrating so that you have a copy even after trading in your licence for a Canadian one. Can anyone explain the advantage of keeping a British Licence, if all you have is a standard one? I don't have any HGV/bus etc entitlements, so I can't see that I lose anything important by converting my licence to an Albertan licence - even if I lose the right to drive a steam roller, I won't be overly concerned!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:53 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Driving Licence

You can have two, but are not supposed to carry two licenses. No advantage in having both. DVLA kept mine years ago when I sent it in to be updated. Never been a problem. OH still has it somewhere, never needed it. In the UK we drive on our Canadian license. Make sure you keep your driver number just in case you need any info from DVLA in future, such as a drivers abstract.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

Hi there is No advantage in having both. you should not hand in your uk licence they have no right to take of you, when you return to the uk you can drive on your uk licence or your canadian one, if you use your canadian licence they cannot put speeding or red light camera light points on it.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We received ours back when we asked after our Canadian driving test, more for sentimental reasons than anything else but also helps when driving in the UK
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:30 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
I've read people suggesting that it's a good idea to get a duplicate of your British Driving Licence before emigrating so that you have a copy even after trading in your licence for a Canadian one. Can anyone explain the advantage of keeping a British Licence, if all you have is a standard one? I don't have any HGV/bus etc entitlements, so I can't see that I lose anything important by converting my licence to an Albertan licence - even if I lose the right to drive a steam roller, I won't be overly concerned!

We moved to alberta in the bad old days when you had to retake your test. Thus we kept our UK one, it is in a file collecting dust. Never used it. When we go to the uk we use our canadian one, because the address is old on our UK one and if we get stopped I can say "live in canada, and talk my way out of it"
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Judeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant future

It can be useful as proof to show Canadian insurance companies that you have no points on your UK licence. We handed ours in when we arrived in Alberta, now I wish we had taken a photocopy!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi,
Don't worry about swapping in your UK licence (which you have to do within 90 days of becoming a resident), but it is good idea to photocopy the endorsements section of your licence, as this may be required for insurance purposes (as previously mentioned). Your UK licence will be returned to the UK and you do not have to notify the DVLA of the exchange.
This does not mean that you have lost your UK licence, as if you ever return to the UK you would just apply for a replacement and get your UK licence back.
Hope this helps,
Eddie.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judeandandy
It can be useful as proof to show Canadian insurance companies that you have no points on your UK licence. We handed ours in when we arrived in Alberta, now I wish we had taken a photocopy!
Why not contact the DVLA and ask for a print-out of your records?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wallace
Hi,
Don't worry about swapping in your UK licence (which you have to do within 90 days of becoming a resident), but it is good idea to photocopy the endorsements section of your licence, as this may be required for insurance purposes (as previously mentioned). Your UK licence will be returned to the UK and you do not have to notify the DVLA of the exchange.
This does not mean that you have lost your UK licence, as if you ever return to the UK you would just apply for a replacement and get your UK licence back.
Hope this helps,
Eddie.
Good God! Please never, ever use that font again.

If you do I'll sue for damages. Honest.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:15 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Well written, I am not quite sure why you would use it. Perhaps to damage all our eyes
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I like experimenting with the colours. Is this better....green is supposed to be gentle on the eyes
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:44 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wallace
Hi Guys,

Sorry, I like experimenting with the colours. Is this better....green is supposed to be gentle on the eyes
What's wrong with the Verdana font and colour?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:44 am
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What's wrong with the Verdana font and colour?

coz its sooooo boring
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the advice. I'm getting a copy of my driving records from the DVLA anyway, so absolutely no need to keep my licence!

Thanks,
Dan
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Judeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why not contact the DVLA and ask for a print-out of your records?
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll do that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.