Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Doctor (General practice/ family physician) wanting to work in Ontario

British Doctor (General practice/ family physician) wanting to work in Ontario

Old Jun 29th 2016, 12:54 am
Just Joined

mmm1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Doctor (General practice/ family physician) wanting to work in Ontario

Dear all

I am new to this forum and have never posted on one before.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am a qualified General practitioner from England and have MRCGP (qualification), i would like some information on the following :

1. Do I need to take conversion exams to work as GP/ family physician in Ontario. I have looked on the Canadian board website and it is slightly confusing as I understand their are a few exams that need to be taken but it also states Doctors who have MRCGP could be exempt? I have registered with the Health Force Ontario website , is this the correct way to go about this ?

2. If i were eligible to work in Ontario , would i then need to do placements/ residency before i could work as a GP / Family physician?

I would be extremely grateful for any help on the above, especially from General Practitioners that have already made the move

I look forward to peoples replies

Many thanks in advance
Old Jun 29th 2016, 2:14 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Doctor (General practice/ family physician) wanting to work in Ontario

Originally Posted by mmm1988
Dear all

I am new to this forum and have never posted on one before.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am a qualified General practitioner from England and have MRCGP (qualification), i would like some information on the following :

1. Do I need to take conversion exams to work as GP/ family physician in Ontario. I have looked on the Canadian board website and it is slightly confusing as I understand their are a few exams that need to be taken but it also states Doctors who have MRCGP could be exempt? I have registered with the Health Force Ontario website , is this the correct way to go about this ?

2. If i were eligible to work in Ontario , would i then need to do placements/ residency before i could work as a GP / Family physician?

I would be extremely grateful for any help on the above, especially from General Practitioners that have already made the move

I look forward to peoples replies

Many thanks in advance
Welcome!

My husband is a British GP and we live in rural ish Ontario. We moved about 2 1/2 years ago. If you have the MRCGP then you are exempt from the MCCEE, that's the first entrance exam, but you do have to sit two further exams before you can be given a full license. There are two route's to this, we came across on a Temporary work permit and found a physician to very loosely "supervise" my husband until he had sat and passed both exams. This took approximately 18 months but did not affect income or limit his practice in any way. There is some advantage to having a bit of Canadian experience of working to pass exams. We obtained PR after we came here.

The other route is to sit the two exams from the UK, obtain PR at the same time and then take your pick and choose of jobs free of a need for supervision.

The process is long either way - say about 18months from when you start to when you land so there is no advantage to not gaining PR before you come even if you decide to sit exams afterwards. Luckily for you, doctors are in demand and with your level of education and experience the new Express Entry is tailor made to speed you through the process of PR quickly. There are many steps in between (obviously)and the Family Physician thread details them well so I'm not going to rehash them here although I can answer any other questions.

Incidentally there will be a brand new facility opening where we live who are actively recruiting for doctors. My husband will be moving jobs to move into this practice. There are different models of payment in Ontario which can be downright confusing, he has been working on a fee for service basis but will be going to a Family Health team which is about the closest model to the UK system.

Do speak to Health Force Ontario- they were very useful in outlining steps and providing advice..

Last edited by Tirytory; Jun 29th 2016 at 2:18 am.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 2:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Doctor (General practice/ family physician) wanting to work in Ontario

Some relevant stuff here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...ioners-781626/
Old Jun 29th 2016, 2:50 am
Just Joined

mmm1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Welcome!

My husband is a British GP and we live in rural ish Ontario. We moved about 2 1/2 years ago. If you have the MRCGP then you are exempt from the MCCEE, that's the first entrance exam, but you do have to sit two further exams before you can be given a full license. There are two route's to this, we came across on a Temporary work permit and found a physician to very loosely "supervise" my husband until he had sat and passed both exams. This took approximately 18 months but did not affect income or limit his practice in any way. There is some advantage to having a bit of Canadian experience of working to pass exams. We obtained PR after we came here.

The other route is to sit the two exams from the UK, obtain PR at the same time and then take your pick and choose of jobs free of a need for supervision.

The process is long either way - say about 18months from when you start to when you land so there is no advantage to not gaining PR before you come even if you decide to sit exams afterwards. Luckily for you, doctors are in demand and with your level of education and experience the new Express Entry is tailor made to speed you through the process of PR quickly. There are many steps in between (obviously)and the Family Physician thread details them well so I'm not going to rehash them here although I can answer any other questions.

Incidentally there will be a brand new facility opening where we live who are actively recruiting for doctors. My husband will be moving jobs to move into this practice. There are different models of payment in Ontario which can be downright confusing, he has been working on a fee for service basis but will be going to a Family Health team which is about the closest model to the UK system.

Do speak to Health Force Ontario- they were very useful in outlining steps and providing advice..

Thank you for the instant reply. I was not aware about this express entry ?
Also , how did your husband go about looking for the jobs and organising the supervision . Is this something health force Ontario would do?

We're the exams on par with uk exams and simple enough to get through for a uk GP

Finally, is he happy with the work life balance compared to the uk ? And the lifestyle out there compared to the uk , would you recommend it ?

Sorry for the long list of questions
Old Jun 30th 2016, 12:08 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote a long reply earlier and it got lost in the etha... So annoying but will write again!!
Old Jun 30th 2016, 7:40 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by mmm1988
Thank you for the instant reply. I was not aware about this express entry ?
Also , how did your husband go about looking for the jobs and organising the supervision . Is this something health force Ontario would do?

We're the exams on par with uk exams and simple enough to get through for a uk GP

Finally, is he happy with the work life balance compared to the uk ? And the lifestyle out there compared to the uk , would you recommend it ?

Sorry for the long list of questions
So Express Entry is the visa route, you should be able to obtain PR within six months, you may or may not need a job offer to get enough points. This, at least for a doctor is pretty easy. The choice will be where not how..

Health Force Ontario sent out my husbands CV when we were in a position to go forward and highlighted thus he needed supervision. The ones that could provide it responded and then we whittled it down from there.

The exams are entry exam for residents so as an experienced GP they shouldn't pose a problem. My husband did the bare minimum of study.

Work life balance has definitely changed for the better. He now has total autonomy over his hours and annual leave which means we have gone from the situation where the kids complained they never saw him to him now being to help out with after school activities and the kids never complain. Our lifestyle is amazing I have to say. Some of it is due to the change we made when we came from city to country, but we now ski, skate, tube in winter and boat in summer. Where we live owning a boat is seen as pretty normal and we have a lot of friends who live on the lake. A boat is just another form of transport and you can boat to various different restaurants and resorts. This is how I got to wine club at my friends the other night...
Attached Thumbnails British Doctor (General practice/ family physician) wanting to work in Ontario-image.jpeg