Reload this Page >

British Columbia or Alberta?

British Columbia or Alberta?

Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:08 am
Just Joined

The Doyleys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Columbia or Alberta?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guts might be able to help. We are defo looking to get over there but we keep hearing conflicting opinions on the areas. We hear that Alberta province is very nice but the weather can be quite severe ranging from -30 and the winter lasting for 6 months of the year? Which is a bit off putting, and have to say we would probably prefer something a little milder, in which case should we really be focusing our attention on British Columbia?
I suppose I am asking in your opinions what really is the best area ( i know it is very much personal preference) but still it helps A LOT to hear from people who know more than we do.

Thanks you guys
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all
Default Re: British Columbia or Alberta?

Hello the Doyleys,

I guess a lot of your decision is based upon the area that you work. The climate is colder but from what I understand it seems to be dryer in Alberta. I would be the principal applicant and work in the Petrochemical sector. Alberta is by far the best place for my work experience - although in a ideal world Vancouver would be the place I would choose.

Therefore it is not just a choice of climate, you can adjust to that. France and Spain have beautiful climates, however these are not practical for other reasons.

Best of luck.

JET
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JET747
Hello the Doyleys,

I guess a lot of your decision is based upon the area that you work. The climate is colder but from what I understand it seems to be dryer in Alberta. I would be the principal applicant and work in the Petrochemical sector. Alberta is by far the best place for my work experience - although in a ideal world Vancouver would be the place I would choose.

Therefore it is not just a choice of climate, you can adjust to that. France and Spain have beautiful climates, however these are not practical for other reasons.

Best of luck.

JET

Hi Jet,

Thank you for that, I totally understand what you mean. My Husband could work any where with his profession so I suppose I was asking what in peoples opinion is the best place to focus our attentions on. rather than just apply for jobs anywhere I would rather focus on a nice area. We don't want to move for the sake of moving, it's for a better quality of life and so we want to make the right choice when we get there and not be unhappy with the area.

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Have you been out on a recce ? Vancouver was named the best city to live in the world in a recent report based upon several factors - crime, cost of living, infrastructure etc.. I am sure that if you went there you would not go too far wrong.

However, I am sure people from Calgary, Edmonton and even Toronto would happily have their say regarding their cities. Vancouver Island is another area where I am led to believe is beautiful.

If you can make a trip out and see several areas yourself it would be an advantage, but I am sure others will give you some advice and also the WIKI section covers some although not all areas.

JET
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Doyleys
Hi Jet,

Thank you for that, I totally understand what you mean. My Husband could work any where with his profession so I suppose I was asking what in peoples opinion is the best place to focus our attentions on. rather than just apply for jobs anywhere I would rather focus on a nice area. We don't want to move for the sake of moving, it's for a better quality of life and so we want to make the right choice when we get there and not be unhappy with the area.

Thanks
You're very lucky that your hubby can work anywhere (what does he do by the way?) but it might help people to recommend one area over another if they knew a little bit more about your circumstances i.e. if you have children, whether you want a city or somewhere rural, what sort of income you'll be living on, etc.

BC is certainly the mildest climate in Canada but it's also the most expensive place to live!! Weather across the rest of Canada can be severe in winter and temperatures are frequently in the minuses (and yes, some provinces seem to skip spring altogether so winter can be very long) but then if you wanted year round sunshine you'd be emigrating to Oz right?! If you really don't want long cold winters then I would have to question whether or not Canada is really for you.

If you give a bit more info then hopefully people will be able to suggest whether BC or Alberta will suit you and your circumstances more.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I am sorry I don't mean to be so bad at this...

My husband is in Tourism/Media Management and based on that we can really go where ever there is a job which would have him. Hence why we are open to area, I have to say though, and I apologise having not given more information at the beginning that we would like to look something semi rural small town etc. We live in the country at the moment and Simon is happy to travel to get to work at the moment its normally an hours commute for Simon and his job is normally field based so he works from home and then travels to an area. We have one daughter at the moment who is 4 and we also have 2 dogs, I have to say I am a country girl and not a city girl. We would be happy living in or near a nice town. I don't mean to be so vague but we are really just so keen to get in that we would consider almost anything. I have spoken to someone who is shortly moving to Kamloops and have to say this kind of town size/area looks lovely, but are uncertain on other towns like this one.

Thanks
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:10 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

BC is certainly the mildest climate in Canada but it's also the most expensive place to live!!
Sweeping statement dont you think? Edmonton, Calgary, TO, Montreal are all more expensive than Cranbrook to live in. A days skiing in Sunshine\Louise costs more than a day in Kimberley
............................................ but then if you wanted year round sunshine you'd be emigrating to Oz right?!
Another sweeping statement Perths annual Rainfall is the same as that of Manchester and I'm sure the people of Tasmania would tell you its quite a temperate climate in Hobart .........................
............................................ long cold winters
I'm reasonably sure that the winters in Vancouver are not that long or cold
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Sweeping statement dont you think? Edmonton, Calgary, TO, Montreal are all more expensive than Cranbrook to live in. A days skiing in Sunshine\Louise costs more than a day in Kimberley
Another sweeping statement Perths annual Rainfall is the same as that of Manchester and I'm sure the people of Tasmania would tell you its quite a temperate climate in Hobart ......................... I'm reasonably sure that the winters in Vancouver are not that long or cold
Oooh nitpicker! You know perfectly well what I mean - yes, I'm generalising but I haven't got time to list every bit of info about every town in Canada! I'm just trying to give the OP a rough idea and they can then do some more indepth research via Google etc themselves.

BC is the most expensive area of Canada to live in if you take an average. I was of course referring to Vancouver and the surrounding area as the most expensive place in Canada rather than the whole of BC but my statement is still correct. I realise that there are cheaper areas in BC but as a whole, it's still the most expensive province.

And yes, I realise that areas of Oz are not sunny all year round but my point was that if they wanted year round hot weather they should head somewhere else i.e. Oz where they could choose somewhere with the most chance of sunshine all year round i.e. Cairns. Perth may have the same amount of annual rainfall as Manchester but Vancouver has a lot more than even London so it's still wetter. My point was they need to decide what's important to them and if it's hot weather all year round then they've picked the wrong country.

And yes, winters in Vancouver are not that long or cold (as I said earlier) but they are in the rest of Canada - a generalisation but still valid.

Sweeping statements, yes - but that's all I've got time for, and hopefully they were still helpful to the OP and raised a couple of points for her to think about. If I had a spare couple of hours to sit and list all the pros and cons of each province in Canada then I'd happily do it but I don't!! You feel free though.............

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 1st 2008 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Steady guys.... I was just asking, and you have been very helpful Christmasoompa.

We are just chatting generally it isn't a test.

Thnks though
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

P.S what does OP mean
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:39 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh nitpicker! You know perfectly well what I mean - yes, I'm generalising but I haven't got time to list every bit of info about every town in Canada! I'm just trying to give the OP a rough idea and they can then do some more indepth research via Google etc themselves.

Still not convinced that BC is on average the most expensive area to live.

And reading the OPs subsequent posts I'm not convinced that cost of living is that great a factor anyway.

Given that she(?) mentioned Kamloops, Tourism and an hours Commute I would Be suggesting Revelstoke\Golden, The whole of the Okanagan, Fernie\Crowsnest Pass, Cranbrook\Kimberley. IF a 'big city' atmosphere and great shopping (does anywhere in Canada have great shopping) were NOT important.
Personally I wouldn't consider anywhere outside of Alberta because I like the (generally) drier, sunnier climate. BUT hey thats just my taste.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:40 pm
Banned

P.S what does OP mean
OP=Original Poster.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:55 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Which is a bit off putting, and have to say we would probably prefer something a little milder, in which case should we really be focusing our attention on British Columbia?
AB has all the higher end jobs, money and shitty weather. Go there to work (live to work).

BC has the lifestyle and weather and funky stuff to do. Go there to have a life and to play (work to live).

There you go, I never thought I could answer this debate in two lines. That's value for money, I believe.

R.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rich_007
AB has all the higher end jobs, money and shitty weather. Go there to work (live to work).

BC has the lifestyle and weather and funky stuff to do. Go there to have a life and to play (work to live).

There you go, I never thought I could answer this debate in two lines. That's value for money, I believe.

R.
Gee Rich when you put it like that........................................
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

So... Butch Cassidy wouldn't suggest anywhere outside of Alberta, but I had heard it was really cold and the winter went on for ever......

But when the summer does come its nice and hot which we like.... and we like the snow too.

And as for Rich we have done too much working to just survive we want to make the most of the great outdoors.... oh crap i am still none the wiser.

I think we need to just carry on with our research on the areas, and in all honesty see what my hub hub gets offered for a job which will be a big deciding factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.