Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Citizen with Dual Canadian Citizenship travelling through US

British Citizen with Dual Canadian Citizenship travelling through US

Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat088 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Citizen with Dual Canadian Citizenship travelling through US

I'm a dual Canadian and British citizen with a British passport, travelling back to England (to see my family for a holiday) through the US. I'm not sure if I can use the Visa Waiver document, or if I have to get a Visa. Not sure where I go to do this, or what I am supposed to do! Any help would be great
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:46 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen with Dual Canadian Citizenship travelling through US

Easiest thing would be to travel on your canadian passport

I guess you could use British passport plus ESTA ( visa waiver program ) if eligible. I don't see why you couldn't I just don't necessarily see why you would . As a Canadian you don't need the ESTA
I'm not sure if British passport plus proof of Canadian citizenship would suffice
They might be able to help on US boards
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizen with Dual Canadian Citizenship travelling through US

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Easiest thing would be to travel on your canadian passport
Yes, but the OP didn't mention having a Canadian passport - just a UK passport.

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I guess you could use British passport plus ESTA ( visa waiver program ) if eligible. I don't see why you couldn't I just don't necessarily see why you would . As a Canadian you don't need the ESTA
I'm not sure if British passport plus proof of Canadian citizenship would suffice
They might be able to help on US boards
If traveling on a UK passport, I would recommend getting an ESTA. You never know who will try to stop you without one. The OP might be stopped from boarding the first flight in Canada or the return flight from the UK (I'm assuming the OP is flying into the US from Canada outbound and from the UK on the way back).
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Citizens' passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.

All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or an Air NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...pLS1p1bA%3D%3D

My interpretation is if you are saying you are a Canadian citizen and entering the US by air then you need to present a valid CANADIAN passport.

By Land and Sea (including ferries) - Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea are required to present one of the travel documents listed below, and may generally visit the U.S. for up to six months. CBP will accept: Canadian passport, Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card, NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
My interpretation is if you are saying you are a Canadian citizen and entering the US by air then you need to present a valid CANADIAN passport.
I don't think that is true. I am a Canadian citizen and I have flown from Canada into the US without using a Canadian passport. I have used a UK passport in the past. Now that I am a USC, I must use my US passport (per US law).
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I don't think that is true. I am a Canadian citizen and I have flown from Canada into the US without using a Canadian passport. I have used a UK passport in the past. Now that I am a USC, I must use my US passport (per US law).
Any Canadian citizen travelling by air to the US needs a passport. USCBP will not allow you to travel by air on a citizenship certificate or other proof of Canadian citizenship. If that was the case nobody would be using their passports when travelling to Vegas etc.
I have yet to see any being admitted via air without producing a passport.
Im only quoting what the website says as described below.
All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or an Air NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

CBP are okay with a NEXUS card, but IATA rules require you to use a passport at check-in, so basically you have to have a passport.

I am a Canadian citizen and I have flown from Canada into the US without using a Canadian passport.
When though is the question.

If you've only got a British passport and you're flying in I'd recommend getting ESTA, theoretically he could use his British passport and enter as a Canadian by having some proof of Canadian citizenship but CBP may not accept that.

Or better yet, apply for and get a Canadian passport.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Any Canadian citizen travelling by air to the US needs a passport. USCBP will not allow you to travel by air on a citizenship certificate or other proof of Canadian citizenship. If that was the case nobody would be using their passports when travelling to Vegas etc.
I have yet to see any being admitted via air without producing a passport.
Im only quoting what the website says as described below.
Yes, I know that. My point was that it doesn't have to be a Canadian passport. I am a Canadian citizen and have done it on UK and US passports.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 11th 2013 at 11:36 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you've only got a British passport and you're flying in I'd recommend getting ESTA, theoretically he could use his British passport and enter as a Canadian by having some proof of Canadian citizenship but CBP may not accept that.
I agree - I said that above. It's not just CBP he has to worry about if traveling on a UK passport without ESTA. He might also have a problem with the airline.

Or better yet, apply for and get a Canadian passport.
Yep.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 11:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know that. My point was that it doesn't have to be a Canadian passport. I am a Canadian citizen and have done it on UK and US passports.
Me too. I'm Canadian but travel on my Australian passport. My Canadian one expired about 3 years ago, and I see no reason to renew it.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat088 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help everyone. I neglected to say that I ONLY had a British Passport. I'm hoping to apply for one before my trip, which will solve all the problems! If not I will get an ESTA and use that. I have used that before, but that was when I was just a Permanent Resident of Canada. The only proof of my Canadian Citizenship is my card.

Thanks for helping this girl out everyone
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Me too. I'm Canadian but travel on my Australian passport. My Canadian one expired about 3 years ago, and I see no reason to renew it.
The advantage is that the US treats Canadians differently from other nationalities. So there is a benefit to entering as a Canadian. Also Canada has more consular representation than any other country I can think of in the US.

CBP can at their discretion allow the use of non-WHTI documents, but they don't have to. So really the only options to enter as a Canadian and be certain about it are a NEXUS card, EDL or EIC (at a land border) or a Canadian passport. You could for example use a British passport to get past check-in then use a NEXUS card which says you are a Canadian citizen on it at the POE.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Also Canada has more consular representation than any other country I can think of in the US.
More than Mexico? I doubt it.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

In April this year I travelled by road into the US from Canada, on my British passport, but with my Canadian birth certificate to hand. I didn't want to have to pay the extra $ to get into the US, basically.

The US border official was a bit iffy about it, and at first tried to tell me that it wasn't possible for me to have dual nationality as the British didn't allow it (WTF?) but he did eventually decide he would allow me in without paying the extra.

My feeling is that you will have a smoother time if you have the ESTA in place. Apparently an ESTA is now allowed for entry by road as well as air.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

mohtechnix is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for being nosy, but how do you even get a quad citizenship? I thought you were only allowed two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.