Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BRITISH or CANADIAN PASSPORT ?

BRITISH or CANADIAN PASSPORT ?

Old Feb 21st 2010, 2:35 pm
A Brit where every U live

Bad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: BRITISH or CANADIAN PASSPORT ?

Canadian (Five years verses 10 for the British/American)one is $87 but without photo's and other stuff just the renewal of it.

Has anyone heard if Canada is going to Ten years for there passport???
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bad1
But if one travels primarily to the U S and if you have to go while the passport(s) British (Mine) or American (Wife) is being renewed you can drive down on your Canadian citizenship card right??
Not any more.

If you don't have a passport there are only specified documents you can use, such as an enhanced drivers licence.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:49 pm

Bad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not any more.

If you don't have a passport there are only specified documents you can use, such as an enhanced drivers licence.
What is this I94 is this something that you get every three years if you go this route??

Canadian citizenship card and other than Canadian passport??
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Which is why many who are entitled to two or more choose to keep them active ... it means there is always access to one when the other is being renewed or sent away for a visa to be put in.
Thats a good point....but in my estimation, one not worth paying the extra to keep the UK passport going.

I came here in 87...my UK passport was renewed for free in 89 and expired in 99...been back to the UK many times and never missed it.

The UK one will always be available if you ever really felt you needed it. After almost 23 years here, that has not been the case.

I still have a valid UK driving license somewhere...was an idiot and changed the old paper one valid for ever for the credit card one....same applies to that, no need of it, even if I could find it.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not any more.

Does anyone know if these Enhanced drivers licenses are available in Alberta Canada???
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:03 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by airbornesapper

I still have a valid UK driving license somewhere...was an idiot and changed the old paper one valid for ever for the credit card one....same applies to that, no need of it, even if I could find it.
Sorry to jump in on the thread (and its off topic slightly)...but unfortunately (as I realise now) I changed my paper UK driving licence (valid until aged 70) for a credit card one 10 years ago (just renewed it after 10 years for £20) the paperwork that came with the renewal said:

'qualified drivers are still entitled to drive a vehicle if their licence has expired, but what they must be aware of is that they could be charged with the offence of failing to renew their licence. If the matter went to court, then the motorist could end up with a £1000 fine.

I don't think I'll be renewing it in another 10 years....not even sure its possible without an address in UK
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What is this I94 is this something that you get every three years if you go this route??

Canadian citizenship card and other than Canadian passport??
An I94 is not given for 3 years. It is given to holders of US visas as an admission document.

Arrive at the border without the necessary entry document - Canadian passport, British passport or other document approved by the US - and you will go no further than the border.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
An I94 is not given for 3 years. It is given to holders of US visas as an admission document.

Arrive at the border without the necessary entry document - Canadian passport, British passport or other document approved by the US - and you will go no further than the border.

I think if Alberta doesn't have this enhanced drivers license (If not already have them) I will stick with the Canadian passport till they do, no need to rock the boat to much so to speak.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 9:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

I think if Alberta doesn't have this enhanced drivers license (If not already have them) I will stick with the Canadian passport till they do, no need to rock the boat to much so to speak.
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

Passport is always needed to travel by air.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/eng_map.html

Passport is always needed to travel by air.
The wife fly's, when she is with me we drive to the states, I like to drive rather than fly myself............ (Just a preference is all)

But it is looking like Alberta is one of the provinces not yet going for this Enhanced driving license.