Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British, Arrogant? Qui moi?

British, Arrogant? Qui moi?

Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British, Arrogant? Qui moi?

Gone are the days when Brits could fill in a few boxes on a piece of paper ... then jump to a new country and open up a tea room!
Old Aug 17th 2015, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Mind you, most Canucks seem to have no idea of the hoops a potential immigrant has to jump through either.

Plenty of times, I've heard folk bang on about, "these frikken' immigrants, eh?" in the same tone I recall my old man talking about the 'Pakis' way back in the late 60s/early 70s in the English Midlands. Clearly, they are confusing the non-English speaking 'refugee/asylee' type immigrant with the more usually industrious type who intends to make the True North his home.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 1:10 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Gone are the days when Brits could fill in a few boxes on a piece of paper ... then jump to a new country and open up a tea room!
No wonder at the current dearth of tea rooms then.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 3:58 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Mind you, most Canucks seem to have no idea of the hoops a potential immigrant has to jump through either.

Plenty of times, I've heard folk bang on about, "these frikken' immigrants, eh?" in the same tone I recall my old man talking about the 'Pakis' way back in the late 60s/early 70s in the English Midlands. Clearly, they are confusing the non-English speaking 'refugee/asylee' type immigrant with the more usually industrious type who intends to make the True North his home.
I really don't like the way this is phrased..
Old Aug 17th 2015, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Neither do I, but I'm hoping it's one of these situations where communicating by text rather than viva voce doesn't always "translate" well.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would you think they should? I only have an idea of the hoops potential immigrants to the UK go through because of forums like BE. If I weren't on BE et al I'd be totally ignorant of the procedures they go through.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 2:33 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Originally Posted by Shirtback
Neither do I, but I'm hoping it's one of these situations where communicating by text rather than viva voce doesn't always "translate" well.
It also perhaps shows the attitude towards immigration over in Alberta versus other places.

In Toronto where half the city wasn't born in Canada and most of the other half grew up within a 2 to 4 hour radius people simply don't seem to discuss immigration or pass comment.

That might change as you venture out but my general feel is that Toronto is highly liberal which I think will be a good thing with the upcoming election as the Conservatives won't get a look in.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 2:46 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting how the popular culture lags behind the realities. There was a time when Britain would just waltz in to a country with an army if Brits wanted to go; Send the gunboats in if there were later objections. Then the colonies went and got all independent and had their own rules. Some have not caught up yet.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I said I thought that "he" was arrogant. IT was more the point of assumption that he could just move to Canada if he felt like it.
Funny I have met a lot of Canadians who think the British can easily get into Canada because its a British colony. Are they arrogant too? Just saying.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:40 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Funny I have met a lot of Canadians who think the British can easily get into Canada because its a British colony. Are they arrogant too? Just saying.
Thats low self esteem.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:50 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
I have to admit that I've met a few Brits here and thought quietly to myself "how the hell did you get in?". I'm sure there's always a perfectly reasonable explanation and it's just a personal prejudice against people less intelligent, educated and cultured as myself.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
... it's just a personal prejudice against people less intelligent, educated and cultured as myself.
That sounds like a quote which Mr Jeremy Clarkson would have at his disposal!?!?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:13 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
That sounds like a quote which Mr Jeremy Clarkson would have at his disposal!?!?
It's all my own work. I wouldn't rely on anyone less able than myself. I'm British you know (and I live in Canada already); unlike the guy in the original call centre.

So I suppose I must be better than him?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

I think we could all improve our approach, sensitivity, understanding and up our levels of professionalism and social graces ... kinda like this fella!!

"Quite".