Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is a British accent a help or a hindrance?

Is a British accent a help or a hindrance?

Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:43 am
Just Joined

se1zm1c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a British accent a help or a hindrance?

I get conflicting information..some of my relatives living nearby Toronto and Ottawa say it's a bonus some say it's better to tone it down and sprinkle some 'ehs' in the conversation ..btw the accent in question is 'RP' (Received Pronounciation).. just curious as to what you all think?

Last edited by se1zm1c; Feb 20th 2012 at 10:51 am.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:40 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a British accent a help or a hindrance?

I would say that in Canada it's a help, as the natives appear to accept British accents as evidence of natural superiority. It doesn't matter whether it's RP, as to them it all sounds the same. Even a Brummie sounds clever to a Canadian.

In the UK though, RP is a hindrance, as everyone automatically assumes you're either a useless posh tit or an insecure provincial social climber putting it on.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:41 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by se1zm1c
I get conflicting information..some of my relatives living nearby Toronto and Ottawa say it's a bonus some say it's better to tone it down and sprinkle some 'ehs' in the conversation ..btw the accent in question is 'RP' (Received Pronounciation).. just curious as to what you all think?
Doesn't matter one way or the other. It's the "it's all good" attitude that counts unfortunately.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I know many Brits who are irritated by the RP ("Queen's English") accent because they consider it pompous and snooty!

Personally, I don't think the accent matters that much. What type of person you are and how you treat others is much more important. If you constantly criticize Canada and tell anyone who will listen how much better things are done in the UK, then you'll quickly become a nuisance and a bore regardless of accent.

I have coached youth soccer for many years and sometimes the Brit accent does give you instant street cred with the parents as it leads some of them to believe you must know what you're talking about - although I've yet to hear any RP accents on the soccer field! However, some of the worst soccer coaches I've encountered are Brits! Given the complete lack of success of the UK national teams, I have no idea why anyone would think that Brits are any good at coaching soccer.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:51 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it's a pro and a con. I have a south-east slightly RP type accent and to most it seems to be fairly understandable, but quite a few don't understand me, for example, just saying my name (Mark) causes people to mistake it for Mike, Malc, Mawk, and Matt.

People also seem to think I'm Australian due to the accent. Perhaps there are more Aussies here than Brits?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
People also seem to think I'm Australian due to the accent. Perhaps there are more Aussies here than Brits?
My wife is English and has had more more trouble being understood in Canada and the US than I have. I'm from Northern Ireland and have an anglicized Northern Irish accent that sort of sounds almost North American now anyway (after almost 30 years spent in England, Canada and the US). My wife has been "accused" (her word) at various times of being Irish, Scottish, Australian and German! I'm not sure which one caused more offense!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 12:18 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I'd say it's a pro and a con. I have a south-east slightly RP type accent and to most it seems to be fairly understandable, but quite a few don't understand me, for example, just saying my name (Mark) causes people to mistake it for Mike, Malc, Mawk, and Matt.

Apparently, British, Australian and S. African accents all sound the same to most Canadians, as Canadian and US accents sound the same to Brits.
I have a Lincolnshire accent, although most of the roughness has worn off, and everyone thinks it sounds sophisticated in Canada, but whenever I visit back home I can't stand hearing that yokel accent - it sounds really bad.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 2:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The bog standard Canadian accent is dreadful. They all sound like they're retarded Norwegians.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

So long as they don't keep saying everything is 'brilliant'
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
So long as they don't keep saying everything is 'brilliant'
No its more, "err, yeah, awesome job there buddy."
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:34 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

at this thread.

It SHOULD be a hindrance by the way I've heard some Brits mutilate the English language.

idea = idear

My dad has the thickest Glaswegian brogue I have ever encountered but at least he can still say "idea".
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I think they should just bite the bullet and officially change the spelling of "mirror" to "meer". It's clear that none of them ever intend to attempt to pronounce it properly, so to hell with it, just change the spelling.

And why can't people, in a country where French is an official language, pronounce "croissant" properly?!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleepedy Bloops
at this thread.

It SHOULD be a hindrance by the way I've heard some Brits mutilate the English language.

idea = idear

My dad has the thickest Glaswegian brogue I have ever encountered but at least he can still say "idea".
Listen to the the TV, yanks and Canadians, they have a lot of trouble using the right words in the right context, I am amased at advertising signs that have the wrong spelling, word, reporters that are gramatically challenged. At least the BBC reporters get the language right (most of the time).

French is an official language, yet Coupe is pronounced coop (which is a chicken house not a car).
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator
Listen to the the TV, yanks and Canadians, they have a lot of trouble using the right words in the right context, I am amased at advertising signs that have the wrong spelling , word, reporters that are gramatically challenged. At least the BBC reporters get the language right (most of the time).

French is an official language, yet Coupe is pronounced coop (which is a chicken house not a car).
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:03 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I remember going into a store for bottled water and couldn't see any so asked the clerk if he sold waTer. He seemed not to understand and after several repeats and sign language asking for waTer he finally said, oh do you mean 'wadda'?
I said, "yeah, I mean wadda, you freakin' retard. Or is it 'redard ?"
(OK, I thought that last bit rather than said it).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.