Reload this Page >

Britian wanting to marry Canadian

Britian wanting to marry Canadian

Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Vivienne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Britian wanting to marry Canadian

Hi Everyone

I hope someone can help me by pointing me in the right direction ..I am British and my boyfriend is Canadian we are both 51 and have been together as a couple having a long distance relationship for 7 years I visit Canada once each year for 4/6 months and he due to work comes to visit me in Scotland for a month every 2 year we want to get married and to be honest have no idea what we need to do to take the first steps to make this happen I am planning on going to Canada in June and was wondering what I would need to do to get married there and I would also need to come back to Scotland to get my affairs in order here before moving permentantly would this be ok?
Many thanks to anyone who can help
Regards
Vivienne
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britian wanting to marry Canadian

Go to Canada, get married. Theres no trick to it

How you approach the PR situation after getting married may need some thought..you can come here, but wont be able to work for a while until you get official "approval in principal", or you can return to the UK and wait for approval... info in the wiki about that I guess.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 18th 2010 at 2:15 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:41 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good info here, in case you're unaware:-
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vivienne
Hi Everyone

I hope someone can help me by pointing me in the right direction ..I am British and my boyfriend is Canadian we are both 51 and have been together as a couple having a long distance relationship for 7 years I visit Canada once each year for 4/6 months and he due to work comes to visit me in Scotland for a month every 2 year we want to get married and to be honest have no idea what we need to do to take the first steps to make this happen I am planning on going to Canada in June and was wondering what I would need to do to get married there and I would also need to come back to Scotland to get my affairs in order here before moving permentantly would this be ok?
Regards
Vivienne
Pretty much what IainK says, but I'll give you a little more detail.

In Canada, each Province has their own process though I figure they'll all be pretty similar. You'll find them easily enough if you Google 'Marriage' and whichever Province you're heading to.

Here in Ontario, the information is found here
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on making a distance relationship work for 7 years it sounds like you're really meant to be.

Good luck.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Hi Everyone

Regards
Vivienne
Whereabouts in Canada would you be going to ?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
Whereabouts in Canada would you be going to ?
I would be living in Nova Scotia
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your help I was wondering if i get married in canada do i need a fiance visa to get married .
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Only if you want to live and work there for a while beforehand.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
No just want to go for my normal 4 months and get married when i am there and then for ken to sponser me
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Far as I know there is no such thing as a fiance visa in Canada?. Its common law / spousal / conjugal PR status thats the issue, regardless of a marriage ceremony. Might be different for non "visa waiver" passport holders though as the intent of the trip is to marry with a view to gaining PR?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No just want to go for my normal 4 months and get married when i am there and then for ken to sponser me
Should be easy then.

I married my Canadian wife in Quebec and then I returned to the UK to make arrangements to return later.

There was an interview to attend and the wedding was about two or three months after. It was all easy.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Should be easy then.

I married my Canadian wife in Quebec and then I returned to the UK to make arrangements to return later.

There was an interview to attend and the wedding was about two or three months after. It was all easy.
Did you need any visas or did you just need the regular things to get married birth certificate ect and did you have to do anything special before you went back to the uk and for your return ..sorry to ask so many questions
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Did you need any visas or did you just need the regular things to get married birth certificate ect and did you have to do anything special before you went back to the uk and for your return ..sorry to ask so many questions
I don't know anything about Nova Scotia's rules, but here is some info from the Provincial website, plus links to further information.

Good luck.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
I don't know anything about Nova Scotia's rules, but here is some info from the Provincial website, plus links to further information.

Good luck.
Thank you for that link It will be very helpful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.