Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit or Canadian

Brit or Canadian

Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit or Canadian

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you accept that there's a culture of fighting in pubs and streets in the UK ?
Yup...I do...as is the case in many European cities....and Toronto is no exception I fear. If my stepson and daughter are to believed, its not an uncommon event in down town Toronto... Brits have yet to be mentioned specifically. The culture you detail above is the plague of many (if not all) big cities to some degree. However it does not mean that we (as in expat brits) should all be stereotyped as 'Street fighting men' so to speak... ..

Having been involved in dealing with such incidents on more occasions that I care to remember in my old life in the UK prior to retirement, and having discussed this very topic with a number of Officers serving in the GTA...the problems experienced by them and society in general, are almost identical...the only difference being the accents. Such is City life my friend, it seems to go with the territory so to speak...hence my choice of Rural living... . Having seen that, done that, having more tee shirts than I can deal with...city life has no place in my life anymore....or 'street fighting men' wherever they originate from . As I have said so often on this forum...each to their own...

Amen
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Yup...I do...as is the case in many European cities....and Toronto is no exception I fear. If my stepson and daughter are to believed, its not an uncommon event in down town Toronto...
Maybe. I haven't seen a fight not involving my brother but I suppose they may happen.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Maybe. I haven't seen a fight not involving my brother but I suppose they may happen.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Are they all the same?

Britain, Canada, Australia, US, all have one thing in common. The language which enables people from different origins to communicate easier, I say that as yes one can speak French in many countries or locations of the world but French is not used as widely as English to communicate through day to day and business to business.

One major thing they also have in common is that by and large each of these countries including Britain is made up of mongrels. A mix of different backgrounds and cultures and histories that have been bent and twisted. Britain is simply and older version of the same. Depending on how far back you like to go Britain has been French ruled, Italian ruled, German ruled, Dutch ruled etc etc . I absolutely hate the national English pride that comes out when the statement... best country in the world ensues. It aint. It is just different and does not suit everyone.

(This made me laugh. Our youngest has started school and naturally like all kids all her friends state that they would love to go and live in England as it has so much history (confused with culture, as everywhere has culture) and they think everyone lives in cottages and speak Oh so POSH. So our girl remindes them of the swathes of terraced communities that forms the working class backbone of England with their 12 x 12 feet lawns and the look of horror on the faces coming back spoke volumes). Each person has a view that somewhere else has all the answers.

Only sometimes a place has some of the answers. And then not always forever.
It's always the same the grass is greener on the other side.....I laughed at my Nephew who told me he wanted to live in England...that was until i told him he would live in Liverpool on a street just like Coronation street. (because that's were our Rellies live)....he would have to take the bus!!!!!! no horses... no skateboarding... no sking...and the worst of all no Vancouver Canucks!!! we wont go into all the stuff in his bedroom!!!!!!!!
I do want him to see were i came from but it'a a world away from his life here...
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:19 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JezHarper
Is there a point in time, once you have immigrated, that you become 'Canadian' rather than being a Brit in Canada? I don't mean becoming a Canadian Citizen, but being regarded as Canadian by fellow Canadians?

It seems that some do not become fully immersed in Canadian life, i.e. still missing things from the UK, needing to keep up with UK sports, meeting up with other Expats.

This is not meant as a critisism, I'm just interested to know if you ever lose interest in the UK. Do you still regard it as home?
I'm British, and have been Canadian citizen for two years now. That didnt change me, but my colleagues and friends saw it as a step of permanence, a commitment to the country if you like.

What has changed my outlook far more than my own citizenship is now having two children born here, they are Canadian and always will be. They are British too, but that will be secondary to them, and now I see myself as more and more on the Canadian side of the fence..take the Olympics for example, in the past I would have followed the brits, but this time I dont really care.

Frankly it doesn't really matter, I chose to live in Canada cos I like it, and thats all that matters. If I drift away from my britishness, so what? I still follow the footy though, and rely on the BBC and Guardian for news, although ironically mainly for there international outlook.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:03 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not every British person is English to begin with
So very right! My Dad is Canadian, my Mother Scottish & I was born in Wales, but live in England, depends what mood I'm in as to my nationality
Old Feb 20th 2006, 3:55 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wrong - there is no such thing as an "EU passport"

The EU is not a country. While passports are issued in a common format (like some other international organisations do, eg Mercosur) they remain national documents.
Well that makes me as mistaken as Jez then doesnt it!!!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 1:02 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

just looking at my passport and it has the following in order from the top of page.

EUROPEAN UNION

UNITED KINGDOM OF
GREAT BRITAIN
AND NORTHERN IRELAND

(PIC OF COAT OF ARMS)

PASSPORT
Old Feb 21st 2006, 1:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
just looking at my passport and it has the following in order from the top of page.

EUROPEAN UNION

UNITED KINGDOM OF
GREAT BRITAIN
AND NORTHERN IRELAND

(PIC OF COAT OF ARMS)

PASSPORT
And on the inside of the page it's made clear the passport is issued in the name of Her Majesty the Queen, not the President of the European Commission.

Looking in further detail, on the ID page you should see "Code of Issuing State" = GBR (not EUR) and the nationality section says "British Citizen" (bit of a giveaway, that).
Old Feb 21st 2006, 1:18 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And on the inside of the page it's made clear the passport is issued in the name of Her Majesty the Queen, not the President of the European Commission.

Looking in further detail, on the ID page you should see "Code of Issuing State" = GBR (not EUR) and the nationality section says "British Citizen" (bit of a giveaway, that).
Yep, my passport deffo says I am a british citizen, although I would prefer it to say English!
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep, my passport deffo says I am a british citizen, although I would prefer it to say English!
May your next 'motion' be an exceedingly large thistle....
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by macadian
May your next 'motion' be an exceedingly large thistle....
only the red rose of lancashire would be passed through my delicate english bottom
Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

only the red rose of lancashire would be passed through my delicate english bottom
Or a rather large lad from York..... Shire