Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brit or Canadian

Brit or Canadian

Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit or Canadian

Originally Posted by JezHarper
Racism, based purely on skin colour, nothing to do with being from a foreign land. Not xenophobia

Maybe so, but that still doesn't show a direct connection between national pride and xenophobia.

And yet you made it all the way to a different continent

No, national pride is about pride in the achievements of your nation and it's citizens.
Racism, I suppose I should point out, is rarely just, or even, about skin colour. Manuel, in Fawlty Towers, is classically racist but not against people who look different from him. Not mentioning the war is racist but, again, it's not about colour.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Racism, I suppose I should point out, is rarely just, or even, about skin colour. Manuel, in Fawlty Towers, is classically racist but not against people who look different from him. Not mentioning the war is racist but, again, it's not about colour.
Manuel? Are you sure?
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

JezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really niceJezHarper is just really nice

Of course, just as masses of people are interested in the world cup. They all cheer for whatever country they came from (just as well in the case of the world cup). I think it's all a bit silly but I did enjoy being in Greektown when Greece had the moment of glory.

I see racism and nationalism as being indivisable, your "I don't particularly like the UK (on the whole) and often find myself in Europe pretending not to be British" is not be more or less offensive because "British" doesn't imply physical characteristics.
Racism is a dislike / hatred of another race, creed, nationality or ethnicity, regardless of the impact they have on our culture.

Nationalsim is the protection of your nations culture digarding any other cultural influence there may be.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about me pretending not to be British. My only reason is that I don't wish to be 'tarred with the same brush' in regard to the opinion many europeans have of the Brits.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:56 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodel
I would imagine a large part has to do with the age at which you moved. It'd be interesting to hear opinions of those that moved with teenage children or people in their mid 20's.
I moved here when I was just 31. I am now 41. I am and will remain British, as that is where I was born and spent 31 years of my life. My Dad was born in Glasgow but raised in Ireland. My mother was born in Belgium to an Austrian/Belgian Catholic mother and a British/Belgian Jewish father with East European familial connections. I am a Heinz 57, I guess. My own kids are split, in that two were born in England and three were born here. They all (well except the baby, he's only four months old) consider themselves British first and Canadian second, although I would beg to differ. They are all more "Canadian" (North American) than they know.

I am a Canadian citizen, I hold the passport and abide by the laws in this country. I will never become "Canadian" however as my sense of identity as a British person is just too strong. This country will never be my home, but I choose to make a home here for now. Later on, it will be somewhere else. I will still be British and quietly proud of it. It doesn't mean that I believe we are superior to anyone else.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

debiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud ofdebiharper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dingbat
I moved here when I was just 31. I am now 41. I am and will remain British, as that is where I was born and spent 31 years of my life. My Dad was born in Glasgow but raised in Ireland. My mother was born in Belgium to an Austrian/Belgian Catholic mother and a British/Belgian Jewish father with East European familial connections. I am a Heinz 57, I guess. My own kids are split, in that two were born in England and three were born here. They all (well except the baby, he's only four months old) consider themselves British first and Canadian second, although I would beg to differ. They are all more "Canadian" (North American) than they know.

I am a Canadian citizen, I hold the passport and abide by the laws in this country. I will never become "Canadian" however as my sense of identity as a British person is just too strong. This country will never be my home, but I choose to make a home here for now. Later on, it will be somewhere else. I will still be British and quietly proud of it. It doesn't mean that I believe we are superior to anyone else.

Yes I can see where you are coming from,I will always consider myself to be Irish,when I talk about home I am always referring to Ireland. As much as I will embrace Canada and everything about it, Ireland is in my blood.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Is there a point in time, once you have immigrated, that you become 'Canadian' rather than being a Brit in Canada? I don't mean becoming a Canadian Citizen, but being regarded as Canadian by fellow Canadians?

It seems that some do not become fully immersed in Canadian life, i.e. still missing things from the UK, needing to keep up with UK sports, meeting up with other Expats.

This is not meant as a critisism, I'm just interested to know if you ever lose interest in the UK. Do you still regard it as home?
Interesting..........We bumped into a lady who came to Canada about 12 years ago the other day, and at first she sounded Canadian...However upon hearing our English accents, her accent crept into conversation.

So although we may wish to become Canadian Citizens...we'll probably always remain British.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debiharper
Yes I can see where you are coming from,I will always consider myself to be Irish,when I talk about home I am always referring to Ireland. As much as I will embrace Canada and everything about it, Ireland is in my blood.

But not everyone feels the same way about the country they started out in. Perhaps these are the people more likely to really call Canada (or Australia, the U.S. or New Zealand) "home".
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Manuel? Are you sure?
Not of the spelling, no. The little Spanish fellow.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

My only reason is that I don't wish to be 'tarred with the same brush' in regard to the opinion many europeans have of the Brits.
I think that, by denying your being British, you're indulging racism against the British. Understand though that while racism is an emotive term, I don't mean every reference to it to be inflammatory, I just can't buy the idea that there's a Canadian identity.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by debiharper
Irisihness, or Oirishness, is a whole other thing. In America I count as Irish (grandparents are enough, have a Guinness). In the Crown in Cricklewood I very much aint. Somehow, Irish is an ancestry to be cherished, whereas, Welsh for example, is not.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

I think that, by denying your being British, you're indulging racism against the British. Understand though that while racism is an emotive term, I don't mean every reference to it to be inflammatory, I just can't buy the idea that there's a Canadian identity.
I suppose in a way I am, but I think it is more that I am completey devoid of any national pride.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I consider myself to be very much Canadian.

I am from England and some still see as English (still some trace of a Liverpool accent usually spotted by other expats). I came to Canada in 1963 when I was sixteen and can't say exactly when I felt that I was Canadian it just seemed to happen over time.

I still like some English things and still check to see how Liverpool did in soccer (beat Man U today in the FA cup 5th round) but as for home that is Canada no doubt about that.
I see Britain as a nice to visit, beautiful countyside, but not somewhere that I would like to live.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I suppose in a way I am, but I think it is more that I am completey devoid of any national pride.
Voila, you belong here.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hangman
I consider myself to be very much Canadian.

I am from England and some still see as English (still some trace of a Liverpool accent usually spotted by other expats). I came to Canada in 1963 when I was sixteen and can't say exactly when I felt that I was Canadian it just seemed to happen over time.

I still like some English things and still check to see how Liverpool did in soccer (beat Man U today in the FA cup 5th round) but as for home that is Canada no doubt about that.
I see Britain as a nice to visit, beautiful countyside, but not somewhere that I would like to live.
I have been in Canada 41 years (from Liverpool)....I could not agree more with you... (how confused some of the other posts sound)
Old Feb 19th 2006, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not every British person is English to begin with

Thank you. I was getting a little tired of the same assumption.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.