Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BRINGING A RED BRITISH PHONE BOX TO CANADA ?

BRINGING A RED BRITISH PHONE BOX TO CANADA ?

Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BRINGING A RED BRITISH PHONE BOX TO CANADA ?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, his is bust but mine isn't. Trouble is I forget what mine is now and I can't find it.
I think it's mean of you not to tell him how to fix it. Mind you that new one is too shouty, so maybe don't tell him
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I think it's mean of you not to tell him how to fix it. Mind you that new one is too shouty, so maybe don't tell him
New one? There's a new one? Not again! I've never got over William Hartnell kicking over the traces.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:53 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
New one? There's a new one? Not again! I've never got over William Hartnell kicking over the traces.
He was scary. Very scary.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Welsh Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DURHAM
I would love to bring an old red phone box from England. Any info on cost etc would be appreciated and where to actually buy the old red kiosks please.
I,m also interested in bringing over a red mail upright.
We looked into these for a couple of gig that we were doing. We decided not to go with originals as they were far too heavy to move around. The original ones weighed over a ton each being made of cast iron. the later K6's were lighter but still 3/4 ton each. We found this place which does replicas and they do ship world wide, but no idea on shipping costs...
http://www.thephoneybox.com/about-the-phoney-box.html

We also found someone who did MDF letter boxes, again because the cast ones were too heavy to lump about (currently using this one on the coca-cola truck tour). can't remember who we got it from but could find out if you interested...
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:14 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I have an entirely unrelated subject of conversation that I'd love to bring with me to the Canada discussion forum. What's the best way of going about it, please?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:25 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I have an entirely unrelated subject of conversation that I'd love to bring with me to the Canada discussion forum. What's the best way of going about it, please?
It's best that you just PM people, that way the forum remains uncluttered with any riff raff chit chat. Feel free to declare the sending and receiving of PMs, but please keep your messages brief and concise.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:37 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

It's snowing here and the phone box in our village is covered in snow. I thought it was important that this thread related the words "phone box" and "drift".

Sorry to bother you all with such trivialities.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:44 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
It's best that you just PM people, that way the forum remains uncluttered with any riff raff chit chat. Feel free to declare the sending and receiving of PMs, but please keep your messages brief and concise.
Oh, that's very helpful advice. Thanks so much. 'Cos I'd hate to clutter up the forum with riff raff chit chat. That would be so disrespectful to the original post in the thread, after all. It could end up almost, like, a clique or something, and we can't abide that sort of behaviour on here, now can we?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
It's snowing here and the phone box in our village is covered in snow. I thought it was important that this thread related the words "phone box" and "drift".

Sorry to bother you all with such trivialities.
Now that raises a very interesting point. The doors on proper old-fashioned red British phone boxes open outwards, rather than being the inherently dishonest bi-fold things seen on newfangled European monstrosities. Would this make them, in fact, an impractical proposition for Canadian climatic conditions anywhere north an east of Vancouver?

Discuss.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

many moons ago whist working for BT operator services, on the night shift you would get the usual drunk teenager dialling 100 to abuse the operator.

A colleague of mine had one such caller and he said "Theres a camera in the phone box and I can see you"

Kid "no there f****g isn't liar"

"mmmm, jeans, baseball cap, trainers - your mate stood outside?????" (just a wild stab in the dark based on every teenager doing it at the time)

"how dya know that?"

"told you theres a camera. theres also a door lock I can push to the kiosk"

"no theres not"

"well you try and push the doot open now and get out"

Sounds of kid yelling because he can't get the door open, because the doors pulled inwards to open

(kind of relevant)
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Now that raises a very interesting point. The doors on proper old-fashioned red British phone boxes open outwards, rather than being the inherently dishonest bi-fold things seen on newfangled European monstrosities. Would this make them, in fact, an impractical proposition for Canadian climatic conditions anywhere north an east of Vancouver?

Discuss.
An issue for the Fire Marshall, I'd think. House doors are regulated to open inwards, I believe that's so that, in the case of fire, one doesn't have to push them through the snow. One wouldn't want to have an egress issue in a smouldering phone box.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
many moons ago whist working for BT operator services, on the night shift
I did that for a couple of years (while programming in the day). Generally it was excruciatingly dull but not always. I had a call, to 999:

"Ambulance, please"

<operators were obliged to monitor emergency calls after connecting them>

"I'm going on the roof of the building at .... and I'm going to jump"

<realises that it's just across the road, rushes to the window, sees arcing body, returns to phone>

"No need to rush"

Not terribly relevant, but there was a phone box slightly splattered on impact.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:12 pm
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by dbd33
An issue for the Fire Marshall, I'd think. House doors are regulated to open inwards, I believe that's so that, in the case of fire, one doesn't have to push them through the snow. One wouldn't want to have an egress issue in a smouldering phone box.
and there was me thinking it was so you could get to your beer in an emergency

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

ErryBerry is an unknown quantity at this point

I've calculated the perfect phone box as follows:

phonesin(ax)sin(bx) - kcos(ax)cos(bx) + 1 = 0
sin(ax) [ boxsin(bx) - {kcos(ax)cos(bx)}/sin(ax) + 1/sin(BT) ] = 1
sin(ax) [ boxsin(bx)/4 - {kcos(ax)cos(bx)}/sin(ax) + 1/sin(BT) ] = 2/x
pho(ax)sin(bx) - kcos(ax)cos(bx) + 1 = 0
sin(ax)x3 [ boxsin(bxd) - {kcos(ax)cos(bx)}/sin(ax) + 1/sin(BT) ] = 1
sin(bx) - kcsc(ax)cos(bx) + cot(ax) = -1

As I've recently heard that there are a few "idiots" out there, I've simplified this as below:

lol(bx) - you(ax)2 – are(5,5) the(bx) + idiot(ax) = -1
phonesin(ax)sin(bx) - kcos(ax)cos(bx) + 1 = 0
sin(bx) - kcsc(ax)cos(bx) + cot(ax) = -1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.