Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BRINGING A RED BRITISH PHONE BOX TO CANADA ?

BRINGING A RED BRITISH PHONE BOX TO CANADA ?

Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

DURHAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BRINGING A RED BRITISH PHONE BOX TO CANADA ?

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Google tells me here:
http://www.britishbits.co.uk/

Cool idea. I'd like one for the front garden.
I want to put the old red phone box K2 on my front garden and the round mailbox would be installed on the side of my driveway .
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:01 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DURHAM
I want to put the old red phone box K2 on my front garden and the round mailbox would be installed on the side of my driveway .
Who says these are old?
We still have loads of these in Derbyshire - the nearest one is up the road near the pub in our village.
You can make them into shower enclosures, you know. I think using one as an outdoor shower for the summer would be brilliant.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

For full authenticity the phone box should come with several smashed windows, a ripped up copy of the phone book, suspect grafitti including several phone numbers one might call for 'services' scrawled around with magic marker and a lingering smell of piss.

Ah nostaglia.....
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
For full authenticity the phone box should come with several smashed windows, a ripped up copy of the phone book, suspect grafitti including several phone numbers one might call for 'services' scrawled around with magic marker and a lingering smell of piss.

Ah nostaglia.....
Ah the memories are flooding back with a little too much realism
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:23 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Ah nostaglia.....
See post #8
Old Nov 30th 2010, 4:56 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Not that I'm answering your question, but Fairhaven, the village/community next to Bellingham proper (in Washington state, 20 minutes from the Peace Arch Border) has a bloody ton of the red phone boxes - goodness knows why (anyone any clues?). Looks lovely though.

Last edited by mattieuk; Nov 30th 2010 at 4:58 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't they bloody heavy?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

DURHAM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mattieuk
Not that I'm answering your question, but Fairhaven, the village/community next to Bellingham proper (in Washington state, 20 minutes from the Peace Arch Border) has a bloody ton of the red phone boxes - goodness knows why (anyone any clues?). Looks lovely though.

Are these the British phone kiosks or what ? I,m like 10 mins drive from the border and i,m gonna check out this Fairhaven village asap.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Just fix it with your sonic screwdriver, obviously.
Why go to all that hassle? Why not just use the chameleon circuit of your TARDIS to give the desired appearance?
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Why go to all that hassle? Why not just use the chameleon circuit of your TARDIS to give the desired appearance?
cos it's bust innit? Been bust for donkey's years.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 7:52 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I suppose you could then get a K9 as opposed to a K2
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:05 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DURHAM
Are these the British phone kiosks or what ? I,m like 10 mins drive from the border and i,m gonna check out this Fairhaven village asap.
So far as I could tell, they were British ones, yes. Fairhaven is counted as part of Bellingham these days, but according to Google it used to be a seperate village. I've only been there once, but there were at least 2 phone boxes that I saw in my short walk from the car park to the village green - kind of threw me, seeing those there. Phone boxes, its a lovely little place for a visit at the weekend.

Can't find any information about why phone boxes are there (I had a look inside one, and it was completely stripped of all interior decor/equipment). I'll have a look out next time I'm down there to see if I can figure out what its all about (and confirm to myself that I've not gone mad with homesickness and started mistaking everyday items with British phone boxes! ).

Just looked on Google Maps, and whilst street view doesn't cover the whole place, there are at least 3 phone boxes that have been photographed and put up by random members of the community. One is next to Skylark Cafe - you can see the phone box on the picture of the cafe front - http://www.skylarkshiddencafe.com/

Last edited by mattieuk; Nov 30th 2010 at 8:10 pm. Reason: Found some more information.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk

Interesting, reminds me of the UK road signs in Boston, MA:
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

There is a red phone box by the community center on Commercial Drive in Vancouver. You could make them an offer and forget the international shipping!

The windows are pre-broken, but the offensive odour is far from adequate I am affraid.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 9:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
cos it's bust innit? Been bust for donkey's years.
Yes, his is bust but mine isn't. Trouble is I forget what mine is now and I can't find it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.