Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Old Jun 4th 2011, 3:19 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Nice. I'm trying to find out whether or not the catalyst was fitted originally, or whether it had one fit when it came to the UK due to the year of its manufacture.
That an '89? Shouldn't think so. Cats weren't mandated until '92.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:11 am
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

The one I've got my eye on is a 93 and first registered in Canada from new, but I am waiting for the vendor to dig out all the relevent docs for it. It has a valid UK MOT (CA certified). So I'm just wondering if the law in Canada was implemented to have cats fit from new, like it was overhere in 93. Or whether one had been fitted to make it road legal over here, and whether or not it can be taken off if I manage to possess it and re import it to Canada.

I can't say I've had any bother with the cats on vehicles that I've possessed and driven. But I know they are only compatible mainly with fuel injection and not carbs. So with me being a frugle bloke, and comparing the gas mileage to a standard road car it makes me feel light headed. I'm going to try to improve its gas mileage and maybe look at having the cat taken off if I'm allowed to. I once had an Astra merit 1.4 single point injection with a cat, and I managed to get an average of 50 mpg out of it. Someone else had the same car and removed their cat temporarily as they couldn't afford a replacement, and they saw an improvement to its gas mileage. I know it doesn't even compare to such a classy car, but I've always said that one day I'll have a nice car to drive in. Even if its just for the weekends I will enjoy the drive in it, thats if I cn afford to run it. Thats if I end up with it as I haven't bought it yet.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 4:10 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

The one I've got my eye on is a 93 and first registered in Canada from new, but I am waiting for the vendor to dig out all the relevent docs for it. It has a valid UK MOT (CA certified). So I'm just wondering if the law in Canada was implemented to have cats fit from new, like it was overhere in 93. Or whether one had been fitted to make it road legal over here, and whether or not it can be taken off if I manage to possess it and re import it to Canada.

I can't say I've had any bother with the cats on vehicles that I've possessed and driven. But I know they are only compatible mainly with fuel injection and not carbs. So with me being a frugle bloke, and comparing the gas mileage to a standard road car it makes me feel light headed. I'm going to try to improve its gas mileage and maybe look at having the cat taken off if I'm allowed to. I once had an Astra merit 1.4 single point injection with a cat, and I managed to get an average of 50 mpg out of it. Someone else had the same car and removed their cat temporarily as they couldn't afford a replacement, and they saw an improvement to its gas mileage. I know it doesn't even compare to such a classy car, but I've always said that one day I'll have a nice car to drive in. Even if its just for the weekends I will enjoy the drive in it, thats if I cn afford to run it. Thats if I end up with it as I haven't bought it yet.
Yep, a 93 Canadian car will have a cat fitted. They've been around over here a lot longer than in the UK. Did you know that MGB's in the 70's had cats fitted for the N American market.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

No I never knew that, I didn't think the car polution squad existed back then.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 9:32 pm
Meh

No I never knew that, I didn't think the car polution squad existed back then.
It's been around for a long time over here. For the most part Canada has run the same new car regs as the US, of course emissions testing on old vehicles varies immensely across the country.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

After much thought, I am now thinking about bringing over my V8 project MX5.(I know I may only be able to use it on track days)

However, it is far from being a running car, so I'm going to contact a shipping company tomorrow to see if it's possible to do this.

Presumably I just need to get it to a crate, push it in, and pull it out at the other side. Then hire a trailer etc.

After all, what would they do if they transport a car which was running when they put it in, but refused to start when they got to the other side? keep it in a crate forever?

Main problem I can see is if they want to inspect it/steam clean it.

I'll report back to you after I've called the transporters.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:08 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
After much thought, I am now thinking about bringing over my V8 project MX5.(I know I may only be able to use it on track days)

However, it is far from being a running car, so I'm going to contact a shipping company tomorrow to see if it's possible to do this.

Presumably I just need to get it to a crate, push it in, and pull it out at the other side. Then hire a trailer etc.

After all, what would they do if they transport a car which was running when they put it in, but refused to start when they got to the other side? keep it in a crate forever?

Main problem I can see is if they want to inspect it/steam clean it.

I'll report back to you after I've called the transporters.
No, if Transport Canada and/or CBSA decides the vehicle is inadmissible, you either ship it back, or off to the car crushers it goes.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

Damn

So best idea then is to strip off the parts I want to put on a Miata when I get there?

Engine, gearbox, bellhousing, prop, diff.

Everything is easy enough except for the engine. It's a bit on the heavy side, and presumably I'd need to build a crate for it.

You're not making this easy for me
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
I applaud you, relatively few men will regularly venture out in something so widely thought effeminate. I could not. Indeed, when recently offered a Porsche Boxster as a trade, I felt my buttocks clench reflexively.
Don't you drive a Beetle or have I got that wrong!?

The MX-5 is widely known to be a great handling car - I think it had a bit of a girly image due to the relatively lame engine choice.. and the fact that they were mostly driven by girls. A V8 in one - that changes things
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:29 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
A V8 in one - that changes things
You can't polish a turd
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
Don't you drive a Beetle or have I got that wrong!?
Yes, Pastel Blue. I know my hairdresser cars.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:24 pm
Meh

Originally Posted by el_richo
You can't polish a turd
Of course you can, it just turns your polishing cloth brown.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Of course you can, it just turns your polishing cloth brown.
You have a point
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:27 pm
Meh

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Damn

So best idea then is to strip off the parts I want to put on a Miata when I get there?

Engine, gearbox, bellhousing, prop, diff.

Everything is easy enough except for the engine. It's a bit on the heavy side, and presumably I'd need to build a crate for it.

You're not making this easy for me
Are you saying take the parts off in the UK and then ship them over here? That would probably work. If Transport Canada decide your car isn't eligible for importation you won't have a chance to strip the parts off here, it'll be heading straight into the crusher without you even seeing it.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:03 am
Account Closed

Yes. Strip everything here, box it all up.

Will be a shame to scrap the shell as it's rust free, but hey ho. Might be able to flog it, but probably get more at the scrappy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.