Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Old May 8th 2011, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Nope, still don't get the connection with the homosexual thing.

I think that's what annoys me most about the whole hairdresser/gay thing with the MX5. If confronted, the abuser cannot actually give a good reason for the comment.

Can you?
I can't tell why a Miata is more camp than, say, a Mustang, any more than I can tell you why Liza Minelli is more camp than Megan Fox. However, I can tell you that, when driving a car of that nature, I get propositioned at many traffic lights. Access is part of it, one can hardly dangle one's bits into a Hummer in the same way as one can an open car, but some cars make a statement and the driver, being aware of the statement made, can reasonably be assumed to be buying into that statement. In the specific case of the Miata, I think the association originates from it being a copy of a famously fun but unreliable car distinguished by being reliable, that image of not quite being the real thing but more trustworthy makes it a bit naff, like a menthol cigarette or sex with a condom.

I applaud you, relatively few men will regularly venture out in something so widely thought effeminate. I could not. Indeed, when recently offered a Porsche Boxster as a trade, I felt my buttocks clench reflexively.

Last edited by dbd33; May 8th 2011 at 12:57 pm.
Old May 8th 2011, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't blame you, Boxters are for fags!

But seriously, I've done the big powerfull muscle car thing, and to be honest, you get a slagging either way.

If it's small soft top you drive, you might have a decent size wang, but use it "incorrectly"

If it's a 7 litre V8 coupe, you must have a tiny wang.

It's all ignorance and jealousy.

I'm just happy that it no longer bothers me how I am perceived.

Mybe one day you will reach that plateau too
Old May 8th 2011, 3:41 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

I have a feeling that cars should be standard when imported, I looked into it a few years back. That said it doesn't seem in general to be an issue, there are plenty of modified imported cars in the country. I like the Miata btw. What does that motor weigh? Manual tranny? (since we're talking about gayness)
Old May 8th 2011, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GavinR
I have a feeling that cars should be standard when imported, I looked into it a few years back. That said it doesn't seem in general to be an issue, there are plenty of modified imported cars in the country. I like the Miata btw. What does that motor weigh? Manual tranny? (since we're talking about gayness)

Lol, nice link

It weighs in at around 1000Kg, most are manual, a very small number of auto's were made. 50/50 weight ratio, independent double wishbone suspension all round, and disk brakes at each corner.

1.6 and 1.8 twin cam revvy engines in the front, driving the rear wheels as a a proper sportscar should.

With a bit of tweeking you can do this: (ignore the bit at the end, I must have hit some dirt or something )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxeHcZ2Zw2U
Old May 8th 2011, 6:07 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Lol, nice link

It weighs in at around 1000Kg, most are manual, a very small number of auto's were made. 50/50 weight ratio, independent double wishbone suspension all round, and disk brakes at each corner.

1.6 and 1.8 twin cam revvy engines in the front, driving the rear wheels as a a proper sportscar should.

With a bit of tweeking you can do this: (ignore the bit at the end, I must have hit some dirt or something )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxeHcZ2Zw2U
I guess daddy used a bit too much nitrous then!

I was actually asking about the engine, translation issue there, what does it weigh and what gearbox are you using for the conversion? I had a 5.0 Ford with T5 5 speed in my Lotus 7. I've seen Miatas over here with 5.0 Fords, and LS7 engines in them, a fairly popular conversion.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:08 pm
Meh

Just read you have a Supra 'box in it.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GavinR
Just read you have a Supra 'box in it.
Ah yes, translation issues, lol.

I need to read up on that stuff too.

Engine is not quite twice as heavy as the stock 1.6. It's all alluminium which helps a lot.

The weight distribution is going to be out, but I will load the boot with subs, amps and nitrous oxide bottles to balance it out
Old May 8th 2011, 7:50 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I think to have it accepted over here it needs a winter tyre modification permit.
Attached Thumbnails Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)-monster_300.jpg  
Old May 8th 2011, 10:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Mybe one day you will reach that plateau too
Oh, I do hope so.

Last edited by dbd33; May 8th 2011 at 10:18 pm.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:12 am
Account Closed

I just can't wait for you guys to tell the nice readers what YOU drive
Old May 9th 2011, 4:16 am
Meh

FYI, there are many Miatas used in racing, autocross, P1HPE and track days over here. Those in the know, know how good a car they are.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got my eye on a 1993 Merc 320ce convertible. Its left hand drive, manual shift, minted, and it I am told it was once registered in Canada, USA, then the UK. It belonged to a bloke from the States that worked at Menwith Hill, that had it shipped over with his stuff. He sold it to a bloke that was moving over to Spain, but he never moved there. So hence, it could be mine, if its a straight forward job to re-import it to Canada.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mojovibe
I've got my eye on a 1993 Merc 320ce convertible. Its left hand drive, manual shift, minted, and it I am told it was once registered in Canada, USA, then the UK. It belonged to a bloke from the States that worked at Menwith Hill, that had it shipped over with his stuff. He sold it to a bloke that was moving over to Spain, but he never moved there. So hence, it could be mine, if its a straight forward job to re-import it to Canada.
Nice

Hope you get it

I had this for a wee while. Never got round to fixing it up before I had to sell it

Drove it once, it was fantastic. (560 SEC)

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

300ZX twin turbo (medalion man car as my wife likes to remind me)
Damn cheek. I had 2 of them and never a hint of a medallion has ever been near me. Only thing against it is that the sainted Clarkson once included in a book of his favorite 50 cars.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice

Hope you get it

I had this for a wee while. Never got round to fixing it up before I had to sell it

Drove it once, it was fantastic. (560 SEC)

http://www.carartz.com/other/misc/6.jpg
Nice. I'm trying to find out whether or not the catalyst was fitted originally, or whether it had one fit when it came to the UK due to the year of its manufacture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.