Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Old May 7th 2011, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

Hi folks.

(We're in the very early stages of making a move to Canada)

Been doing a bit of forum searching on this subject, but as usual you can never find just the right answer to your questions, lol.

The car: 1990 Mazda MX5 (Which is obviously over the 15 year rule)

The mods: 4.0 V8 Lexus engine from a 1991 car. Supra gearbox

This is an ongoing project and is not yet complete.

The way I see it I have two options:

1 - Complete the project and try to import car and register

2 - Import as a parts car, and transfer all the parts onto a Miata once in Canada. (Miata is North american name for the MX5/Eunos Roadster)

Does anyone have any experience in this particular area?

Although I have spent a lot of time on this car, I am not obsessed with it, so I'm prepared for the "sell it and get a miata" responses.

However, I have noticed that Miata's in Canada are very expensive compared to the UK. Direct comparisons seem to be roughly a £1500 MX5 will cost $7000 in Canada.

I should also point out that I AM obsessed with the MX5/Miata so no other car will do, lol. (I have three at the moment) Total value is less than £2k, so don't go thinking I'm a rich man ;-)

Anyway, I await your responses with much anticipation.

Thanks,

Dave.
Old May 7th 2011, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing my modified car (UK to Canada)

What is the actual problem your facing? Have the customs said you can't import it into Canada because of the engine spec? Or are you trying to get round the customs import duty?
Old May 7th 2011, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Hi.

Not facing any problems as yet.

Also, not trying to dodge paying any taxes etc.

My concern is this...

The MK1 MX5 came with two engine choices. A 1.6 litre, and a 1.8

I am fitting a 4 litre V8 into one.

Since the MX5 was never designed with this engine in mind, it's not as simple as just sending a note to DVLA stating an engine swap.

I have had to fabricate engine mounts and gearbox mounts etc.

My question really is, would this sort of modification be allowed to be registered in Canada, or would I be as well to import the car as a weekend track toy that would never see a Canadian highway?

I know they have a similar "off the shelf" mod in the USA called "Monster Miata" which utilises a Mustang engine and drivetrain, but that's not Canada ;-)
Old May 7th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

if its over 15 years, (as it is) then as far as i know there are no rules to what mods an imported car can have.

oh.. and yes it is as simple as telling the dvla it has a different size engine, to change the log book. its only on occasions they inspect it or want engineers reports. thats more the thing insurance companies want.

I see your only issues as... is the cost of bringing it over, regestering it etc justified for the actual cars value. if it means the world then do it.

the other issue is you will have to have it registered in your name with the dvla for around 6 months i think so that you wont have to pay import taxes. (i'm not certain so you will need to check)

the other issue is if you ever wanted to sell it, the market for a rhd mx5 will be very limited no matter what engine is in it.
Old May 7th 2011, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

Ok, this is all sounding quite positive, thank you.

I know about the DVLA and engine swap notification thing, but It's not something to be taken for granted.

I have spoken to a couple of MOT guys, and they have both said "I will inspect the car as presented" which means, they would do the usual mot inspection, and the emmisions would be based on the engine and year.

Maybe I'm getting too old and mature for my own good, but I was more than a little shocked that they didn't even seem bothered about my home-made engine mounts

Now don't get me wrong, I have not bodged this job in any way, and as far as I'm concerned the fabrication work is as strong, or stronger than the original. Just a bit surprised it doesn't BY LAW need an engineers report.

Ok, I have owned the car, and have had it registered in my name for about a year, so proof of ownership for exportation purposes is not a problem

As for re-sale, really not an option.

If you have ever driven an MX5 you will understand the passion. To have one with a V8 rumble is the ultimate budget sportscar. You could view it as a Japanese version of a TVR Griffith. Fantastic performance, but won't break down half a mile from your house

Worst case scenario, I buy a Miata and transfer all the bits.

Thanks for all the advice so far

Oh, here's a couple of pics:

OH!, do you think my wife could bring her Scooby?
Old May 8th 2011, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

you should stick up a thread on driftworks.

they are liking mx5's at the moment, and there are a lot of crazy engine swaps going on there on many vehicles, they would be pretty interested in that, they will prob give you stick on the ride height and wheel offset etc.. but otherwise the engine conversion will interest them lots.

never had an mx5 myself, but when i lived in the Uk I imported a fair few cars from japan. Mainly skylines and the like.

I'd say if you can justify the costs bringing it, then i'd do it.
Old May 8th 2011, 1:26 am
Account Closed

I think I may have offended the drifters at one point.

I remember once on a forum I said something like...

"Drifting was invented by crap drivers with badly handling cars" or words to that effect

I feel pain for those poor MX5's that have been lowered so much their bellies are scraping the ground, and for those poor tyres that will only ever wear on the inside edges

But each to their own. I'm just happy that the MX5 is getting the respect it has always deserved.
Old May 8th 2011, 1:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
But each to their own. I'm just happy that the MX5 is getting the respect it has always deserved.
I suppose this is not the moment to mention it being a knock off Lotus Elan then. Hairdresser's car, no shame in that, a bit gay, no shame either, but being a copy of something else, well that's a bit shabby.
Old May 8th 2011, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks.

(We're in the very early stages of making a move to Canada)

Been doing a bit of forum searching on this subject, but as usual you can never find just the right answer to your questions, lol.

The car: 1990 Mazda MX5 (Which is obviously over the 15 year rule)

The mods: 4.0 V8 Lexus engine from a 1991 car. Supra gearbox

This is an ongoing project and is not yet complete.

The way I see it I have two options:

1 - Complete the project and try to import car and register

2 - Import as a parts car, and transfer all the parts onto a Miata once in Canada. (Miata is North american name for the MX5/Eunos Roadster)

Does anyone have any experience in this particular area?

Although I have spent a lot of time on this car, I am not obsessed with it, so I'm prepared for the "sell it and get a miata" responses.

However, I have noticed that Miata's in Canada are very expensive compared to the UK. Direct comparisons seem to be roughly a £1500 MX5 will cost $7000 in Canada.

I should also point out that I AM obsessed with the MX5/Miata so no other car will do, lol. (I have three at the moment) Total value is less than £2k, so don't go thinking I'm a rich man ;-)

Anyway, I await your responses with much anticipation.

Thanks,

Dave.
If you want to drive this car in Canada, you may want to check with Transport Canada-recently they announced a prohibition of the importation of right-hand drive cars into Canada. Am not sure of all the details of the announcement, but it is worth checking.
Old May 8th 2011, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose this is not the moment to mention it being a knock off Lotus Elan then. Hairdresser's car, no shame in that, a bit gay, no shame either, but being a copy of something else, well that's a bit shabby.
They never denied it was inspired by the great british sportscars of yesteryear. Main difference being it is ultra reliable.

Never quite understood the term "a bit gay". Do you mean I must be a homosexual to own one, or that the car itself has somehow grown genatalia and prefers to be romantically envolved with cars of it's own sex?

As I mentioned above, to drive one is to love one. You have no idea how many straight men have fallen prey to it's delights, and have had to admit it's appeal, lol.

I'm sure there are also gay people who like them. Hope I don't get in trouble for not mentioning them sooner

Look, I'm 43 now. I've been through it all. I had my first MX5 about twelve years ago. Loved it to bits, had it for 6 years.

Went on to Skylines, Impreza turbo's, 300ZX twin turbo (medalion man car as my wife likes to remind me), I even had an Australian V8 Muscle car, but at the end of the day I value the drive more than the image.

The 5 makes me smile every time I look at it. That's worth a lot in my book
Old May 8th 2011, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dave2003
If you want to drive this car in Canada, you may want to check with Transport Canada-recently they announced a prohibition of the importation of right-hand drive cars into Canada. Am not sure of all the details of the announcement, but it is worth checking.
Thanks Dave, I'll look into that.
Old May 8th 2011, 2:02 am
Account Closed

Ok, had a look for the right hand drive rule.

The 15 year rule takes care of that, phew
Old May 8th 2011, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

too much of a hassle-ive got $5k with your name on it, ship it to australia and ill take care of it for you
Old May 8th 2011, 2:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Never quite understood the term "a bit gay". Do you mean I must be a homosexual to own one, or that the car itself has somehow grown genatalia and prefers to be romantically envolved with cars of it's own sex?
It's one of those cars that suggests to passers-by that the driver is homosexual, one in which the driver is likely to be cruised at the traffic lights. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The 5 makes me smile every time I look at it. That's worth a lot in my book
I understand. I enjoy my Franklin Mint flock Mona Lisa.
Old May 8th 2011, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Nope, still don't get the connection with the homosexual thing.

I think that's what annoys me most about the whole hairdresser/gay thing with the MX5. If confronted, the abuser cannot actually give a good reason for the comment.

Can you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.