Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing in a Large Sum of Money - How To?

Bringing in a Large Sum of Money - How To?

Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bringing in a Large Sum of Money - How To?

For all of you who are concerned with my dental health, I am sorry to disappoint you that I have never had a cavity in my life.

For all of you who are talking about beating me up, well it just goes to show your originality. What do you expect from eurotrash who draw their examples based on soccer hooliganism experiences? What a shame!

Well, I guess it's not even worth trying to ask a serious question in here anymore. It has become a collective masturbation forum.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by prodigyking
For all of you who are concerned with my dental health, I am sorry to disappoint you that I have never had a cavity in my life.

For all of you who are talking about beating me up, well it just goes to show your originality. What do you expect from eurotrash who draw their examples based on soccer hooliganism experiences? What a shame!

Well, I guess it's not even worth trying to ask a serious question in here anymore. It has become a collective masturbation forum.

Gee....we were just trying to show you how caring Canadians can be even to immigrants the likes of you......

Last edited by willmore; Mar 1st 2005 at 6:34 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:33 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT!!!

You actually know where Europe is!!!!! :scared:
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:46 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Prodigyking,

Perhaps if you hadn't been so offensive in the past, you wouldn't provoke these reactions from people.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pearly_Spencer is on a distinguished road

A warm welcome to Canada, Prodigyking.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:51 pm
Fabulous Member

CasaSemanas is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times before, I can't find anything at this point.

So, what is the best/safest way to bring my savings to Canada? Is a cashier's check from my New York bank (citibank) the way to do it? If you have experience with this matter, please help.

Just think, twenty two more days, and I will be a Canuck, eh? Are you jumping from joy yet? :scared:

Yours Truly!
Hi Prodigyking,

About moving money. We had this issue when we bought a house in BC last year. It turns out that banks don't give you the best exchange rate. There is a site/service that worked very well for us. We watched the exchange rate and hit the "do it now" button when it hit where we wanted it to be. It was way more exciting than watching the "in process" on e-client. Anyway it takes a couple of days to get your account set up with them, but then you have The Power and you're free to obsess about exchange rates. Good luck!
https://www.xe.com/fx/
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:55 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

It has become a collective masturbation forum.
Which wouldn't be complete without you!
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:26 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

As somebody else has posted, setting up your account in montreal, and getting your funds wired over from NY citibank to your new account is the easiest.

FYI, TD Canada allows you to have a US$ account to, so you could transfer money that way thus bypassing the exchange rate for the minute until you really need to.
US currency is pretty weak at the moment, not good to be exchanging from it...
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Oh PK is probably some short a$$ little git that will get his clock cleaned in Montreal....!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

edgey is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Bringing in a Large Sum of Money - How To?

Does anyone know how much you can take through customs in cash. i haven't got a bank account when i arrive so i will need some 'pocket' money until my first pay check..
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edgey
Does anyone know how much you can take through customs in cash. i haven't got a bank account when i arrive so i will need some 'pocket' money until my first pay check..
As much as you want. If it's over 10,000 CAD you'll need to declare it though.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:30 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edgey
Biiiiink is right that you can bring as much cash as you want. However, you might want to bring only a little in the form of actual cash, and then some more in the form of travellers' cheques. If you have a debit card from your British bank, you can withdraw additional Canadian cash from an ATM (automated teller machine).

However, it's possible that from an ATM here in Canada you could withdraw cash only from a chequing account in the UK and not from a savings account in the UK. I'm not sure about that, but that is a restriction that often is in effect when North Americans travel abroad.

If you just happen to have a debit card from Barclays in the UK, you can use Scotiabank ATMs without incurring an International ABM Access Fee, because the two banks belong to a Global ATM Alliance.

http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/conten..._LIDen,00.html

Another thing you can do, if you have a UK debit card, is simply to use the debit card to purchase items in Canada (groceries, petrol ... umm gasoline, etc., etc.).
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:06 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Another thing you can do, if you have a UK debit card, is simply to use the debit card to purchase items in Canada (groceries, petrol ... umm gasoline, etc., etc.).
Hmmm, just realised that that may not be the case. Yes, a UK debit card will work in a Canadian ATM if it belongs to the same international network (Plus, Cirrus or whatever). However, I don't know if it's accurate to say that you can use a UK debit card to pay for groceries and other purchases from a retail store.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:32 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hmmm, just realised that that may not be the case. Yes, a UK debit card will work in a Canadian ATM if it belongs to the same international network (Plus, Cirrus or whatever). However, I don't know if it's accurate to say that you can use a UK debit card to pay for groceries and other purchases from a retail store.
I paid for a hotel once with one a long time ago...as it was a Visa debit card and worked through their credit card channels.

Debit here works on a different system called Interac, which is more like a cash machine...you need to enter your PIN rather than just sign for it like you do (did?) in the UK.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
I paid for a hotel once with one a long time ago...as it was a Visa debit card and worked through their credit card channels.

Debit here works on a different system called Interac, which is more like a cash machine...you need to enter your PIN rather than just sign for it like you do (did?) in the UK.
All pin-ed to heaven here in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.