Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bricklayers in Ontario

Bricklayers in Ontario

Old Nov 16th 2021, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Bayford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bricklayers in Ontario

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it if necessary!
I'm interested in hearing from bricklayers, or construction in general, on behalf of my husband.
We're moving in approximately 3 weeks to Vaughan, Ontario and have been trying to find out a bit more about what happens during the winter and Christmas compared to the UK. Obviously builders in Canada will be better prepared for winter than us, just wondering what they have in place...or if it's just a case of toughening up and wearing extra layers! 🙂
From what information I've found, it seems that in general, builders have Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day off, I guess depending on the employer.
Any advice in general from experienced bricklayers would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you
Old Nov 16th 2021, 11:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bricklayers in Ontario

Originally Posted by Bayford
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it if necessary!
I'm interested in hearing from bricklayers, or construction in general, on behalf of my husband.
We're moving in approximately 3 weeks to Vaughan, Ontario and have been trying to find out a bit more about what happens during the winter and Christmas compared to the UK. Obviously builders in Canada will be better prepared for winter than us, just wondering what they have in place...or if it's just a case of toughening up and wearing extra layers! 🙂
From what information I've found, it seems that in general, builders have Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day off, I guess depending on the employer.
Any advice in general from experienced bricklayers would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you
My brother came to Canada as a bricklayer (more accurately, he was a bricklayer in the UK, was here as a tourist, was offered a job, and stayed). He's gone to England to visit his mother so I can't ask him right now but, as I recall, the important thing was to get block work on industrial estates; more meterage and sheeted. He wore everything he owned to work including tights. Christmas involved a lot of being in The Longest Yard in Davisville.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your reply. So if my tights suddenly start disappearing I won't worry! Ok, so lots of hanging about drinking coffee? I'm sure he'll cope with that....the shock to the system working in the snow...time will tell, I don't envy him!
Old Nov 17th 2021, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for your reply. So if my tights suddenly start disappearing I won't worry! Ok, so lots of hanging about drinking coffee? I'm sure he'll cope with that....the shock to the system working in the snow...time will tell, I don't envy him!
Coffee? Er, no. The firm my brother worked for was the Irish one. They competed with the Jamaican one, the Polish one, the Italian one, etc. Few of the people involved had work permits so they were forever getting deported and coming back again. It seemed altogether an unruly business and one without much in the way of health and safety.

Brave man to move to that job in December!
Old Nov 17th 2021, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

I imagine that's the problem in many places, I'm sure its probably still like that here.
I know, we wouldn't have gone in December by choice, just the way it's worked out. New employer is keen
Old Nov 17th 2021, 12:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

New employer is keen
That's good, from the occasional thread I recall from bricklayers the biggest problem is winter layoffs, hopefully if the employer has lots of work that'll be less likely to happen.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Let's hope so! I do wonder if employees still get paid if they're laid off due to weather or if that varies from company to company. Not something we thought of asking we were just pleased he'd had a job offer! My husband has always been self employed so it's going to be very different. He has a 2year contract and we're going out on work permits so I'm hoping that'll give us some security 🤞
Old Nov 17th 2021, 12:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope so! I do wonder if employees still get paid if they're laid off due to weather or if that varies from company to company. Not something we thought of asking we were just pleased he'd had a job offer! My husband has always been self employed so it's going to be very different. He has a 2year contract and we're going out on work permits so I'm hoping that'll give us some security 🤞
I'd suggest you try and get PR sorted asap if you want security, unfortunately on a work permit you're tied to that one employer so it's not very secure at all. Maybe even try and apply before you go if eligible?

Re: employees not being paid if they are laid off for a period of time, I'd imagine it will depend on his contract? So make sure he checks that carefully.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Absolutely, we do intend to apply for PR as soon as we can.
Thanks for your help, I'll double check the contract....
Old Nov 17th 2021, 8:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Some people apply for Employment Insurance (EI) when they are 'temporarily laid off' = 'seasonal layoff' - Unlikely to be paid by the employer if you aren't working.- but you need a minimum amount of hours worked to get it..

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd suggest you try and get PR sorted asap if you want security, unfortunately on a work permit you're tied to that one employer so it's not very secure at all. Maybe even try and apply before you go if eligible?

Re: employees not being paid if they are laid off for a period of time, I'd imagine it will depend on his contract? So make sure he checks that carefully.
This. There is little to no job security here... so the sooner you apply for PR (Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker, Trades - or similar) the better .. if he has a valid job offer (with an LMIA) I wouldn't hesitate - apply now!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 17th 2021 at 8:51 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 1:12 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather lay bricks in the winter than in August. Far too hot!
Old Nov 18th 2021, 6:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'd rather lay bricks in the winter than in August. Far too hot!
I couldn't agree more!
Old Nov 18th 2021, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Some people apply for Employment Insurance (EI) when they are 'temporarily laid off' = 'seasonal layoff' - Unlikely to be paid by the employer if you aren't working.- but you need a minimum amount of hours worked to get it..

This. There is little to no job security here... so the sooner you apply for PR (Express Entry Federal Skilled Worker, Trades - or similar) the better .. if he has a valid job offer (with an LMIA) I wouldn't hesitate - apply now!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html
That's good to know, I'll look into it.
He does have the job offer/LMIA, we'll start now! Thanks for your help