Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A brave and modest country

A brave and modest country

Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

deangb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A brave and modest country

Sunday Telegraph Article From today's UK wires: Salute to a brave and modest nation - Kevin Myers, The Sunday Telegraph LONDON -

Until the deaths of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan , probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops are deployed in the region. And as always, Canada will bury its dead, just as the rest of the world, as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything Canada ever does.

It seems that Canada 's historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored.

<snip>

Last edited by Biiiiink; Apr 16th 2007 at 3:33 pm. Reason: Copyright - please give the link to the article instead, see site rule #6
Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A brave and modest country

Originally Posted by deangb
Sunday Telegraph Article From today's UK wires: Salute to a brave and modest nation - Kevin Myers, The Sunday Telegraph LONDON -

Until the deaths of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan , probably almost no one outside their home country had been aware that Canadian troops are deployed in the region. And as always, Canada will bury its dead, just as the rest of the world, as always will forget its sacrifice, just as it always forgets nearly everything Canada ever does.

It seems that Canada 's historic mission is to come to the selfless aid both of its friends and of complete strangers, and then, once the crisis is over, to be well and truly ignored.
I thought there was pathetically little coverage of the loss of Canadian lives in the British media. The above article sums it up!

Few people realise that Canada declared war on Germany in Decenber 1939 - long before the US!!!!!!! My father was one of the first Canadians to volunteer for the army in the spring of 1940. He was 17 and still at college. He served in Europe for the whole duration of the war, in England, France and Italy. His father served in Europe for both the first and second world wars.

We all owe Canada a big debt for being such a "selfless friend". I am proud to be Canadian and am looking forward to spending the rest of my life living in a great country.

Joanne

Last edited by Biiiiink; Apr 16th 2007 at 3:34 pm. Reason: Copyrighted text
Old Apr 16th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the post, an interesting read I missed first time around!

Cheers, Iain
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

One of those poor lads killed is in the same unit as my cousins fiancee.

I heard about it last weekend,, basically cousins fiancee's brother was driving (should have been in the back apparently),, had he been in the back he would have been killed !!

I believe they are all from NB & NS.

I dont think we hear alot from Canada full stop really do we ?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

<snip>
That article appears to be five years old.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:21 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Bloody hell have we (Canada) been in Afghanistan that long already.

I embarrassed to admit that.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:30 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Bloody hell have we (Canada) been in Afghanistan that long already.

I embarrassed to admit that.
Yup. And we haven't been doing what we originally signed up for, which was UN peacekeeping. The rules got changed, just a tad, and Canada couldn't really back out.

I think the motivation has changed somewhat too. A fair number of the CF guys out there volunteered, and not always out of a sense of humanity.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mumof2

I dont think we hear alot from Canada full stop really do we ?
One of the things I love about this country is the dignity and the unassuming way they go about things.

Compare this to our neighbours down below and the way their military chants, whoops, punches the air and generally savours death and destruction and you can see why they're held in such low regard the world over.

Is it any wonder Americans pretend to be Canadian when abroad to avoid getting so much negative attention?

I'm convinced if other nations had as much diginty and professionality when it comes to situations like these conflicts, life would be a lot safer for many, many people in their home countries and in the mid east.

Another country that springs to mind here is Poland, they have (had?) a notable presence in the Gulf, but you wouldn't know it. And they've been through a hell of a lot in the last century - but you wouldn't hear them griping about it or trying to make you feel sorry for them - too much pride, rather like Canada.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 4:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionel_in_Ontario
Is it any wonder Americans pretend to be Canadian when abroad to avoid getting so much negative attention?
They don't. It's a myth fostered by those self-regarding Canadians.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Yup. Published April 22nd 2002, just after 4 CF personel were killed by US friendly fire.

Plus ca change....
Old Apr 16th 2007, 5:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Until the deaths of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan , probably almost no one outside their home country...

<snip>
deangb, any explanation as to (a) why you claim that this was on "today's UK wires" and (b) why you edited the first sentence to remove reference to the actual events?

Just curious.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 16th 2007 at 5:46 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are an arse.

I've been in Europe many times and never pretended to be Canadian. In fact until I met my Canadian husband I had never been in Canada and never thought to go there. So stuff your attitude about Americans where the sun doesn't shine. That is spoke by an American with an Attitidue ... you bigot.

One of the things I love about this country is the dignity and the unassuming way they go about things.

Compare this to our neighbours down below and the way their military chants, whoops, punches the air and generally savours death and destruction and you can see why they're held in such low regard the world over.

I'm convinced if other nations had as much diginty and professionality when it comes to situations like these conflicts, life would be a lot safer for many, many people in their home countries and in the mid east.

Another country that springs to mind here is Poland, they have (had?) a notable presence in the Gulf, but you wouldn't know it. And they've been through a hell of a lot in the last century - but you wouldn't hear them griping about it or trying to make you feel sorry for them - too much pride, rather like Canada.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dbd33
They don't. It's a myth fostered by those self-regarding Canadians.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm is the article that put that idea in my head... never heard it from anyone over here.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You are an arse.

I've been in Europe many times and never pretended to be Canadian. In fact until I met my Canadian husband I had never been in Canada and never thought to go there. So stuff your attitude about Americans where the sun doesn't shine. That is spoke by an American with an Attitidue ... you bigot.
I'm crying.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4881474.stm is the article that put that idea in my head... never heard it from anyone over here.

Lots of comments there about Americans who have heard of Canada knowing they could pretend to be Canadian but very few about actually doing it. This sums it up well:

"I was aware before I moved here that when you travelled abroad it was always better to say you were Canadian if you could get away with it. But we treated it more like a joke."

The idea's a bit silly, lots of people resent England and the English but we don't go around pretending to be Welsh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.