Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brampton ON on a scale of 1 to 10?

Brampton ON on a scale of 1 to 10?

Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brampton ON on a scale of 1 to 10?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Brampton?
Thanks
I lived in Brampton for a couple of years. I was in the Heart Lake area which was OK. Lots of green space for the kids. The houses on our street were close together but we had no-one behind us as we backed on to a park. The rest of Brampton is...meh. I don't have anything bad to say about it. We were able to afford a house there and I could commute to my job in Mississauga in 20-25 mins. It has all the amenities you need but, with your budget and desire for privacy, maybe not the best choice. You could go further out and get a nice house on a decent lot but the balancing act is the commute to the airport. I think I'd be tempted to add a bit to the commute to get a bigger house and lot.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jun 1st 2013 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody for the feedback. It is so helpful to actually hear from people who have lived there. Street view is only so good...

Let's see whether he gets the job first then it'll be panic panic panic!!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:29 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Look at post 2 again and figure out what lots and lots and lots of curry places really means.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Look at post 2 again and figure out what lots and lots and lots of curry places really means.
That a knowledge of Urdu, Saraiki, Punjabi or Balti may be an advantage?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Originally Posted by macadian
That a knowledge of Urdu, Saraiki, Punjabi or Balti may be an advantage?
Oh yes I had figured that one out... I think I've been convinced as much as I can from online research that Orangeville, Halton Hills and that vicinity seem to be the way to go.
Have to see it in 3D to really know though...
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes I had figured that one out... I think I've been convinced as much as I can from online research that Orangeville, Halton Hills and that vicinity seem to be the way to go.
Have to see it in 3D to really know though...
I have a friend who moved from Brampton to Orangeville and she really likes it. A bit of a hike to Pearson though.

I also have a friend who has lived in Georgetown for many years and he really likes it there. That would be a better commute to Pearson.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I have a friend who moved from Brampton to Orangeville and she really likes it. A bit of a hike to Pearson though.

I also have a friend who has lived in Georgetown for many years and he really likes it there. That would be a better commute to Pearson.
I am hopefully emigrating to Georgetown on 1st August, after just selling my house, and I agree it is a pleasant little town with low crime rate and a new larger Walmart that just opened in April in their mall. The people are friendly but alas for me the houses are more expensive. Not many curry houses though!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie
I am hopefully emigrating to Georgetown on 1st August, after just selling my house, and I agree it is a pleasant little town with low crime rate and a new larger Walmart that just opened in April in their mall. The people are friendly but alas for me the houses are more expensive. Not many curry houses though!
Well I'll be there when you arrive... I'm visiting my son for a couple of weeks at the beginning of August and am planning a little nosey around... Without the kids knowing at this stage as nothing is yet confirmed!
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Oh really? Was hoping it would be an easy commute is such things exist with that density of population... How long do you think it would take... Bearing in mind he would be working shifts so wouldn't be travelling at rush hour...
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really? Was hoping it would be an easy commute is such things exist with that density of population... How long do you think it would take... Bearing in mind he would be working shifts so wouldn't be travelling at rush hour...
It's 64 km each way. Google say 45 min., which might be right on a Sunday afternoon, with no snow.

I'd look a bit closer if I was the commuter.

Maybe have a look near Kleinburg... straight down 27/427 to YYZ and there's a French language school there. I'll admit it might be a bit more pricey, but it's a lovely village.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 2nd 2013 at 9:31 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's 64 km each way. Google say 45 min., which might be right on a Sunday afternoon, with no snow.

Maybe have a look near Kleinburg... straight down 27/427 to YYZ and there's a French language school there. I'll admit it might be a bit more pricey, but it's a lovely village.
Hmmm... That's a bit far. We used to live 32 miles from Gatwick and that was far enough tbh. I shall check out Kleinburg... I'm assuming it's small?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Hmmm... That's a bit far. We used to live 32 miles from Gatwick and that was far enough tbh. I shall check out Kleinburg... I'm assuming it's small?
Also I suppose it would be helpful to know where the staff parking is. That could make a big difference too
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it used to be. I'm afraid there has been a bit of wanton development in the last few years. But it's still nice and home to the McMichael Gallery and it's neighbouring lovely countryside (by southern Ontario standards).
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Use google maps (or something similar) to get a rough idea on driving distances & times between areas of interest and Pearson. It'll give accurate distances for different routes but only a rough idea on driving times since much depends on traffic and weather conditions.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 10:11 pm
Born again atheist

Also I suppose it would be helpful to know where the staff parking is. That could make a big difference too
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewt...p?f=54&t=37831

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.