Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brampton ON on a scale of 1 to 10?

Brampton ON on a scale of 1 to 10?

Old May 31st 2013, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brampton ON on a scale of 1 to 10?

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Brampton?
Thanks
Old May 31st 2013, 1:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brampton ON on a scale of 1 to 10?

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about Brampton?
Thanks
We go there sometimes for a curry. There are lots and lots and lots of curry places.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

My nephew and his wife live there as she is from that area. They both hate it and are hoping to move north asap, there are some nice places down town in the heritage area but a lot of new build too.

There are a few webcams if you want to see the area: http://www.brampton.ca/EN/Info-Centr.../BRAMCams.aspx

Not having lived there myself, I will leave it to others that do to give you more info.

Old May 31st 2013, 1:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't lived there either, but a former colleague did some time ago because it was "affordable" then in comparison to other parts of the GTA.

He now lives in Illinois and is divorced.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

But a job there doesn't imply living there. When I lived north of Shelburne quite a few neighbours worked at, or from, the airport.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But a job there doesn't imply living there. When I lived north of Shelburne quite a few neighbours worked at, or from, the airport.
Ah, I see what you're getting at. As ever you're sharper than me.

Yes, Brampton is easily accessible from much better places to live. If it helps ( the OP) I work at or near the most notoriously dodgy intersection in the whole GTA.

But I live a comfortable commute away.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah, I see what you're getting at.
I'm just thinking that people don't choose Brampton at random, I suspect it's near possible work. If that work was at Pearson then there are lots of feasible places to live. The choice depending on the usual factors; how urban/suburban/rural is wanted, how much money will there be, and so on.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. We were looking at places within a commutable distance to the airport...
Old May 31st 2013, 1:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

I commuted past the airport from the Beach, that wasn't too bad. By that standard much of Toronto, anywhere along the 427/QEW/Gardiner would be an urban option. If you wanted rural then Caledon is nice but expensive so I'd either go up as far as Orangeville (along the 410) or west along the 401 towards Guelph (the 401 is a very busy road mind). Orangeville is quite a nice town if you don't mind everyone being white and half of them English. If you want suburban well, surely not, but Mississauga is right there and exactly like where Edward Scissorhands came to live.

More, informed and understated(!) opinion tomorrow.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:39 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
My nephew and his wife live there as she is from that area. They both hate it and are hoping to move north asap, there are some nice places down town in the heritage area but a lot of new build too.

There are a few webcams if you want to see the area: http://www.brampton.ca/EN/Info-Centr.../BRAMCams.aspx

Not having lived there myself, I will leave it to others that do to give you more info.

Amazingly good webcams though !
Old May 31st 2013, 1:46 am
Born again atheist

The options for that are innumerable. All sorts of alternatives, but you're going to have to say roughly what you're looking for.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The options for that are innumerable. All sorts of alternatives, but you're going to have to say roughly what you're looking for.
Well OH would be working shifts at the airport.
Currently we live in rural NS about 30 mins from Yarmouth on a beautiful lake with no neighbours! There's a little store 10 mins away where we can buy a few bits and gas.
I would like somewhere where the 2 boys could play with other kids on the street as they are seriously missing that here.
Looking at MLS we have reached the conclusion that we have to aim for a house up to about $600,000 and are nervous of being on top of the neighbours as we are used to a lot of privacy!!!!
Old May 31st 2013, 1:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Amazingly good webcams though !
I actually saw a zebra crossing in one - yes, truly!

(I can't remember seeing one in Canada before)

Old May 31st 2013, 1:56 am
Born again atheist

Currently we live in rural NS about 30 mins from Yarmouth on a beautiful lake with no neighbours! There's a little store 10 mins away where we can buy a few bits and gas.
I would like somewhere where the 2 boys could play with other kids on the street as they are seriously missing that here.
Looking at MLS we have reached the conclusion that we have to aim for a house up to about $600,000 and are nervous of being on top of the neighbours as we are used to a lot of privacy!!!!
Then dbd33's suggestion of Caledon and it's environs might be something to look at.

Just to make it plain, in Brampton you'd have neighbours looking into your bathroom.
Old May 31st 2013, 1:58 am
Banned

For that, you can get a lot of house in a reasonable area... no need to pick Brampton!

Caledon: http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=-297070730

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.