British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Brampton, looking for a british store! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/brampton-looking-british-store-770078/)

saphira93 Aug 31st 2012 4:36 am

Brampton, looking for a british store!

So I'm moving to Brampton in a few days and I'm looking for a British store to replace the one i currently use in London. Are there any recommendations? British style restaurant recommendations are welcome as well :-)

Nursing Canada Dreams Aug 31st 2012 7:35 am

Re: Brampton, looking for a british store!

You must really miss the UK?

dbd33 Aug 31st 2012 11:15 am

There are such stores in Orangeville and Guelph. Brampton, I dunno, it seems demographically improbable.

ultrarunner Aug 31st 2012 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by saphira93 (Post 10256253)
So I'm moving to Brampton in a few days and I'm looking for a British store to replace the one i currently use in London. Are there any recommendations? British style restaurant recommendations are welcome as well :-)

Why bother moving here then? If you must have your Brit stuff, there is a Brit store in Mississauga, Oakville and Stratford, St Catherine and Niagara-on-the-lake if you ever end up there

saphira93 Sep 1st 2012 2:26 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10256932)
Why bother moving here then? If you must have your Brit stuff, there is a Brit store in Mississauga, Oakville and Stratford, St Catherine and Niagara-on-the-lake if you ever end up there

Im a student, studying at Sheridan :) i cant drive so travelling out of the GTA is out of the question. i kinda figured there has to be one around somewhere :p

saphira93 Sep 1st 2012 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Nursing Canada Dreams (Post 10256422)
You must really miss the UK?

the food and the people lol. i just love the British stores! walking into them brings back a lot of good memories for me :)

Novocastrian Sep 1st 2012 3:08 am

Originally Posted by saphira93 (Post 10257992)
the food and the people lol. i just love the British stores! walking into them brings back a lot of good memories for me :)

Memories of what specifically?

saphira93 Sep 1st 2012 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10258023)
Memories of what specifically?

lol just random memories XD

MarylandNed Sep 4th 2012 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by saphira93 (Post 10256253)

Not Brampton but not far away. They also sell online:

http://www.abitofhome.ca/location-and-hours.html

Tomken Shopping Centre
925 Rathburn Road East
Unit C10
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
L4W 4C3
T: 905.804-1731
T: 800.889.9121 (Canada)

There are quite a few British and Irish pubs in Brampton. Here's one:
http://crownandlion.com/Pub_Fare.html
No British menu would be complete without a chicken curry!

For good fish & chips:
http://www.heritagefishnchips.com/locations.php

larrym75 Sep 21st 2012 4:56 pm

There's a British shop in Mississauga at the same plaza as No Frills! on Rathburn and Tomken...
:)

JamesM Sep 21st 2012 4:59 pm

Why not move here and also enjoy things you used to enjoy elsewhere as well?

It is called the best of both worlds.

Carrie051 Sep 22nd 2012 3:23 pm

For someone who doesn't see a need for British shops you certainly know where to find them all! :nod:

magnumpi Sep 22nd 2012 3:31 pm

The above link for the chippy on Queen st is awesome. We stayed in the hotel across in our early weeks here and used that fish n chippy, I have yet to taste any better anywhere else. For that reason I put up with all the Scottish tack within....lol

Tony73tt Sep 22nd 2012 7:52 pm

So sorry.. Call me what you want. I have lived in the U.K all my life apart from 6 years in the Army and I can never understand why people will not let go of the U.K!! Why bother moving?????
I spent 6 months in he winter of 83-84 in Medicine Hat Alberta, I can tell you that the stunning steaks I ate, far outweighed any poxy British fish n chips! And I am allowed to voice that as a British citizen...:)

Oink Sep 22nd 2012 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tony73tt (Post 10294634)
So sorry.. Call me what you want. I have lived in the U.K all my life apart from 6 years in the Army and I can never understand why people will not let go of the U.K!! Why bother moving?????
I spent 6 months in he winter of 83-84 in Medicine Hat Alberta, I can tell you that the stunning steaks I ate, far outweighed any poxy British fish n chips! And I am allowed to voice that as a British citizen...:)

My girlfriend who's Canadian visited the UK with me in the summer and couldn't get over how good the fish a chips were. We also had fresh peas in a restaurant, you don't see that at steakhouses in Canada.