Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Boring british Columbia

Boring british Columbia

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring british Columbia

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Where do you/did you all go where you feel/felt constrained by your "class" in the UK?

I don't recall ever coming across this in any shape or form in the UK.
If you didn't experience it then it must not exist, although I bet all those people wearing carpets on their backs in the House of Lords might have a different perspective.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If you didn't experience it then it must not exist, although I bet all those people wearing carpets on their backs in the House of Lords might have a different perspective.
So Alan Sugar was constrained by his "class" was he?

I am simply asking for examples. I have never experienced Greenland, but I don't doubt it exists. I would simply like to hear of some examples.

I choose not to believe I am a victim. I appreciate that others choose not to and will blame everything on their sex, sexuality, skin colour, height, weight [insert whatever is holding you back].
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

A (very) cursory look at the bios of a dozen or so of life peers appointed since 2010 finds as many, if not more peers with comprehensive school backgrounds as there are Eton / Oxbridge backgrounds...

Generally the split seems to follow party political allegiances FWIW...
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

A (very) cursory look at the bios of a dozen or so life peers appointed since 2010 finds as many, if not more peers with comprehensive school backgrounds as there are Eton / Oxbridge backgrounds...

Id say that the influence of class in the UK is well on the wane, its far more of a meritocracy than in the past.

If anyone cares to dig further the list is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...(2010-present)

Last edited by iaink; Jan 3rd 2013 at 8:55 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:55 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

So Alan Sugar was constrained by his "class" was he?

I am simply asking for examples. I have never experienced Greenland, but I don't doubt it exists. I would simply like to hear of some examples.

I choose not to believe I am a victim. I appreciate that others choose not to and will blame everything on their sex, sexuality, skin colour, height, weight [insert whatever is holding you back].
You only have to look at almost every major institution in the UK, whether its military, religious, governmental, judicial or industrial and take a look at the background of the people in the top positions. I realise the attractiveness of attributing free will to life and that people like to credit their intelligence and force of will to their existence, and while they may play some part in your outcomes, those of us who grew up the UK where/are to some degree conditioned/constrained by social class. To say otherwise is being obtuse.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
A (very) cursory look at the bios of a dozen or so life peers appointed since 2010 finds as many, if not more peers with comprehensive school backgrounds as there are Eton / Oxbridge backgrounds...

Id say that the influence of class in the UK is well on the wane, its far more of a meritocracy than in the past.

If anyone cares to dig further the list is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...(2010-present)
What about the heredity ones?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you/did you all go where you feel/felt constrained by your "class" in the UK?

I don't recall ever coming across this in any shape or form in the UK.
Really? Never? Ever?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You only have to look at almost every major institution in the UK, whether its military, religious, governmental, judicial or industrial and take a look at the background of the people in the top positions. I realise the attractiveness of attributing free will to life and that people like to credit their intelligence and force of will to their existence, and while they may play some part in your outcomes, those of us who grew up the UK where/are to some degree conditioned/constrained by social class. To say otherwise is being obtuse.
I am not attempting to state that I am brilliant and deserving and no others are, all I am saying is that I have never, ever, come up against an issue with "class" at any time during the 35 odd years that I lived in England. I note that many on here talk about chavs in the UK but that you appear never to have met one.

I accept that money confers advantages; I accept that this is the position in most of the developed world. I can see that, in certain cultures, caste would have huge implications. I simply don't accept that "class" is as much of an issue in social mobility and you appear to suggest it is. I accept that I am only basing this upon my personal experiences. That is why I have asked others to provide theirs. Despite it being, apparently, so pervasive, no one has done so.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 3rd 2013 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats
Really? Never? Ever?
That's what I have stated, on numerous occasions. As this appears to exasperate you, would you care to share any such experience that you have had with us?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:38 pm

That's what I have stated, on numerous occasions. As this appears to exasperate you, would you care to share any such experience that you have had with us?
It doesn't exasperate anyone, its just crap. Your outlook or your aspirations have been limited by your and your parents class background. There are many jobs you couldn't have got, thus you've been constrained.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 3rd 2013 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Your outlook or your aspirations have been limed by your and your parents class background. If you've never wanted to be a king. That is a job you could never get no matter how hard you try.
+1
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:42 pm

I am not attempting to state that I am brilliant and deserving and no others are, all I am saying is that I have never, ever, come up against an issue with "class" at any time during the 35 odd years that I lived in England. I note that many on here talk about chavs in the UK but that you appear never to have met one.

I accept that money confers advantages; I accept that this is the position in most of the developed world. I can see that, in certain cultures, caste would have huge implications. I simply don't accept that "class" is as much of an issue in social mobility and you appear to suggest it is. I accept that I am only basing this upon my personal experiences. That is why I have asked others to provide theirs. Despite it being, apparently, so pervasive, no one has done so.
Okay, try being King.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, try being King.
That's not a 'class' issue though is it?

you could go to the 1%ers and none of them could be king either there is only two men right now that can say they will become king and one of them is questionable.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think your view shows a lack of awareness of the world around you.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Okay, try being King.
Not sure that's a job. I am not sure that would have impacted the lives of posters on here. Any others?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.