Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Border Security didn't take Goods To Follow List...

Border Security didn't take Goods To Follow List...

Old Oct 30th 2013, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Border Security didn't take Goods To Follow List...

Temporary workers, students and visitors don't need to provide a list of goods to follow when they initially arrive BUT if they have shipped goods to arrive after they have arrived then when those goods arrive then THAT is when a list of goods will be required.

Persons outside of Canada who have applied for PR status and then arrive to do the landing ARE REQUIRED to present a goods to follow list UNLESS not establishing a residence when landing.

Persons who are in Canada and have obtained PR status while living here and still have goods can then present a list of goods to follow when they do their landing.

If in doubt consult the CBSA website D Memorandums.

This one for temporary residents such as workers, student & visitors
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-1-1-eng.html

These ones for Settlers (becoming a PR) or Former Residents (Canadians, PRs who have been living outside of Canada and now returning)
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-2-1-eng.html
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...2-3-2-eng.html
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:26 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Have I done something wrong, then? We cleared a container load of goods shortly after arriving on TWP - some paperwork was stamped, I think, before the shippers could release the container, but this would have been just the shippers' inventory and wasn't any sort of formal GTF list. Nobody had looked at any kind of shipping list when we activated the TWP on first arriving through Pearson.

When we landed as PRs some years later, we wandered over the bridge at Niagara Falls on foot, and came back round the flagpole. All our goods had by then been in the country for a few years. Didn't have any paperwork with us concerning goods at all. Should I have done? Nobody at the border seemed remotely concerned at its absence...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Have I done something wrong, then? We cleared a container load of goods shortly after arriving on TWP - some paperwork was stamped, I think, before the shippers could release the container, but this would have been just the shippers' inventory and wasn't any sort of formal GTF list. Nobody had looked at any kind of shipping list when we activated the TWP on first arriving through Pearson.

When we landed as PRs some years later, we wandered over the bridge at Niagara Falls on foot, and came back round the flagpole. All our goods had by then been in the country for a few years. Didn't have any paperwork with us concerning goods at all. Should I have done? Nobody at the border seemed remotely concerned at its absence...
No.
You arrived on a TWP and shipped goods after you arrived. When the goods arrived to be cleared thats when a list should have been presented. Many CBSA officers will accept a shippers inventory/list in lieu of a list made by yourself.
As all of your goods were now in Canada when you became PRs then no list was required as there were no more goods to follow. A B4 form should have been completed when you did the landing and notated No Goods To Follow.

The point Im trying to make is regardless of a persons status in Canada is if goods have been shipped after they arrive then a list of goods is required to clear those goods. With no list how am I supposed to know whats in the container or several boxes?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:43 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No.
You arrived on a TWP and shipped goods after you arrived. When the goods arrived to be cleared thats when a list should have been presented. Many CBSA officers will accept a shippers inventory/list in lieu of a list made by yourself.
As all of your goods were now in Canada when you became PRs then no list was required as there were no more goods to follow. A B4 form should have been completed when you did the landing and notated No Goods To Follow.

The point Im trying to make is regardless of a persons status in Canada is if goods have been shipped after they arrive then a list of goods is required to clear those goods. With no list how am I supposed to know whats in the container or several boxes?
That's a relief then

I suppose I might have completed a B4 form, I don't recall. The border agent was so polite and chatty that the entire process flitted by in a breeze of Canadian civility - but don't worry, FL, your reputation as a hard-nosed seeker of miscreants remains unsullied, as the agent in question was female so I know it wasn't you!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
That's a relief then

I suppose I might have completed a B4 form, I don't recall. The border agent was so polite and chatty that the entire process flitted by in a breeze of Canadian civility - but don't worry, FL, your reputation as a hard-nosed seeker of miscreants remains unsullied, as the agent in question was female so I know it wasn't you!
At least I haven't been referred to as "That bitch in Calgary" that I saw quoted the other day.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:40 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
At least I haven't been referred to as "That bitch in Calgary" that I saw quoted the other day.
I'd suggest you'd have to go for some pretty serious surgery before that statement might apply