British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Border Security didn't take Goods To Follow List... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/border-security-didnt-take-goods-follow-list-813393/)

NewbieCanadian Oct 27th 2013 1:02 pm

Border Security didn't take Goods To Follow List...

We have come to Canada under a Work Permit and CBSA rejected Goods To Follow list as it was hand written and he didn't like the format (although it seems to be laid out as per advice on this website!)

He gave us an info sheet that said we could submit it to CBSA later, but before clearing our Goods.

Has anyone experienced this before and were there any problems?

The4BellsLondon Oct 27th 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Border Security didn't take Goods To Follow List...

Originally Posted by NewbieCanadian (Post 10963702)
We have come to Canada under a Work Permit and CBSA rejected Goods To Follow list as it was hand written and he didn't like the format (although it seems to be laid out as per advice on this website!)

He gave us an info sheet that said we could submit it to CBSA later, but before clearing our Goods.

Has anyone experienced this before and were there any problems?

Yup - our lady didnt like that it had a mattress on it . . .took it to CBSa when we went to clear the container , armed with the link that matresses didnt need to be fumigated , CBSA lady didnt even question the mattress, just signed it all off!

wolstie Oct 28th 2013 3:34 pm

You don't need a goods to follow list on a temporary work permit - as it's assumed the goods will leave the country when you do.

When you clear the goods at the customs house on arrival, they will document what you've brought and stamp it. You can take your prepared inventory with you, as it will speed things up.

The4BellsLondon Oct 28th 2013 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by wolstie (Post 10965338)
You don't need a goods to follow list on a temporary work permit - as it's assumed the goods will leave the country when you do.

When you clear the goods at the customs house on arrival, they will document what you've brought and stamp it. You can take your prepared inventory with you, as it will speed things up.

But . .what happens if you get PR and stay?
Thats what we did and were hoping to do from day1 . .hence we had a GTF list.

In fact shippers insisted we had one.

Former Lancastrian Oct 28th 2013 10:11 pm

Those who move to Canada on a TWP and ship goods to Canada have to declare the goods. If the goods are in a sea/shipping container and have to be cleared by CBSA then how would a CBSA officer know whats in the container without a list of goods;)
Those who become PRs also ship their goods and the same rule applies.
The confusion arises about how to interpret what a goods to follow list is.
Settlers or persons becoming PRs goods are treated differently as those on a work permit in respect to their goods.
Those working here but still have goods in the UK or other countries and awaiting to get PR status will be allowed to bring in those goods at a later date once they activate their PR status and do the formal landing then they produce that list.
CBSA don't expect those coming on 2 year work permits to be bringing all their worldly belongings as there is no guarantee they will be staying here permanently and will only be bringing a portion of those goods as at the time of entry the goods are expected to be sent back when those on a TWP return to their home country.

Anyone who sends goods to Canada regardless of what status they are on or expecting to be on should provide a list of goods as CBSA NEED TO KNOW whats being shipped. As stated before without that list my X Ray vision is slowly failing and do we really need to open every container to see whats in it.

Common sense folks. MAKE A LIST.

Zoe Bell Oct 28th 2013 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10966029)
Those who move to Canada on a TWP and ship goods to Canada have to declare the goods. If the goods are in a sea/shipping container and have to be cleared by CBSA then how would a CBSA officer know whats in the container without a list of goods;)
Those who become PRs also ship their goods and the same rule applies.
The confusion arises about how to interpret what a goods to follow list is.
Settlers or persons becoming PRs goods are treated differently as those on a work permit in respect to their goods.
Those working here but still have goods in the UK or other countries and awaiting to get PR status will be allowed to bring in those goods at a later date once they activate their PR status and do the formal landing then they produce that list.
CBSA don't expect those coming on 2 year work permits to be bringing all their worldly belongings as there is no guarantee they will be staying here permanently and will only be bringing a portion of those goods as at the time of entry the goods are expected to be sent back when those on a TWP return to their home country.

Anyone who sends goods to Canada regardless of what status they are on or expecting to be on should provide a list of goods as CBSA NEED TO KNOW whats being shipped. As stated before without that list my X Ray vision is slowly failing and do we really need to open every container to see whats in it.

Ermm , they did
it wasn't accepted for whatever reason

NewbieCanadian Oct 29th 2013 1:45 am

My list was 'too detailed' (there was an entry for every box) and 'in the wrong format' (it was hand written).

You can't win. Bloody public servants.

Common sense CBSA....

PS: Did I mention that they ran out of Work Permit forms on Saturday and didn't seem to know what to do....

bats Oct 29th 2013 3:34 am

We had a goods to follow list and CBSA were not remotely interested. They also tried to send us straight out of Pearson til we pointed out we had a cat to be inspected and a goods to follow. There was much huffing and puffing over the list. I think a copy was made. The cat was looked at through the box grill, yup it's a cat, go kovrrvthere and pay $50.

When our furniture arrived customs in Peterborough were interested and didn't mind it being hand written. They wouldn't let us have our stuff though as somehow itbhad been removed from the warehouse without being cleared.

They probably didnt like yours being handwritten as they coukdn't read too well.

wolstie Oct 29th 2013 11:36 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10966010)
But . .what happens if you get PR and stay? Thats what we did and were hoping to do from day1 . .hence we had a GTF list.

In fact shippers insisted we had one.

It's pretty simple. You take the stamped form that they give you when clearing your goods, (Form E29B I think), with you when you land as PR. That is then considered your 'Goods to Follow list', and it is stamped again as such.

We prepared a list prior to arrival, but the CBSA officer who gave us our work permits did not want to see it and told us to take it to the customs house when clearing the goods

wolstie Oct 29th 2013 11:41 am

The inventory that's compiled by the shippers?

CBSA were more interested in this than my prepared list.

The4BellsLondon Oct 29th 2013 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by wolstie (Post 10966736)
It's pretty simple. You take the stamped form that they give you when clearing your goods, (Form E29B I think), with you when you land as PR. That is then considered your 'Goods to Follow list', and it is stamped again as such.

We prepared a list prior to arrival, but the CBSA officer who gave us our work permits did not want to see it and told us to take it to the customs house when clearing the goods

I know .. We did that . But your first response said you needed no list to clear any goods .. Which you do , as confirmed by FL.

wolstie Oct 29th 2013 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10967003)
I know .. We did that . But your first response said you needed no list to clear any goods .. Which you do , as confirmed by FL.

But you don't need to present a list when landing, as someone landing as a PR would. You present the list when clearing the goods at the customs house.

The4BellsLondon Oct 29th 2013 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by wolstie (Post 10967049)
But you don't need to present a list when landing, as someone landing as a PR would. You present the list when clearing the goods at the customs house.

Whatever.. I really cba to argue over a list.

I'm going with what FL says and what we had to do .

wolstie Oct 30th 2013 1:15 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 10967455)
Whatever.. I really cba to argue over a list.

I'm going with what FL says and what we had to do .

And i'm just going off my experience :p

I agree, no harm in making a list on a TWP (we did), but don't expect them to give a damn about it when they process your permits when you arrive.

__TJ__ Oct 30th 2013 6:03 am

When we arrived twp they didn't want the list assuming goods would leave with us when we did.
We now (finally) have pr and when we land officially will have fully prepped gtf list to submit. (Yes we shipped if all back again after the debacle. Not relevant right now) if you are pr and shipping they are supposed to stamp gtf unless rules have changed?!