Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

at border control uk- which queue should I go in?

at border control uk- which queue should I go in?

Old Jul 26th 2021, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at border control uk- which queue should I go in?

Originally Posted by bats
I waa given a huge amount of grief by the border control people last time I tried to enter on a Canadian passport. Tgey were in the wrong but tgey still reduced me to tears. I won't risk it again.
What a load of BS, the UK is becoming America-lite with it's border police. So sorry you had that experience. You might not even have a UK passport even if you were born in the UK and have UK citizenship. Last time I visited the UK I used my Canadian passport I let my Canadian wife do all the talking (with her accent) to avoid any potential issues like that though, lol. If it became an issue I was just going to say I was born in the UK but don't have a UK passport.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Remember when showing the airline you passport (check-in / bag drop / boarding) to show the passport you used when booking the tickets regardless of which one you use at Immigration.

Otherwise, too much is being made of this. There are many dual citizens and lots more people who have changed citizenship, and they fly between countries, presumably without incident 99.9% of the time. In this case, I suggest having both passports in your pocket, so if the Immigration computer throws up a warning, e.g. the last time you left the UK it was on a UK passport and now you're entering on a Canadian passport, you can explain you are a dual citizen and show the UK passport as proof. If the official (mistakenly) insists you enter the UK on the UK passport, you say "whatever" and do so.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 1:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Similar article in the Graun yesterday implies that Brits vaxed abroad need to contract their GP (or former GP?) to get them to validate the jabs received abroad.: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other If true, seems utterly unworkable. I couldn't tell you who my GP was 17 years ago and I'm damn sure they have no records of me either.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Several countries are applying vaccine nationalism (not invented here syndrome). Often, the same vaccines are approved in different countries, yet they don’t recognise vaccines given in each other’s countries. It’ll be sorted out in time, but until then it’s an unnecessary obstacle to travel.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Uk just eased quarantine restrictions for fully vaccinated people from USA but not from Canada. Which seems a strange decision.
Canada not among countries exempt from quarantine for travel into England and Scotland | CBC News
Old Jul 28th 2021, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
What a load of BS, the UK is becoming America-lite with it's border police. So sorry you had that experience. You might not even have a UK passport even if you were born in the UK and have UK citizenship. Last time I visited the UK I used my Canadian passport I let my Canadian wife do all the talking (with her accent) to avoid any potential issues like that though, lol. If it became an issue I was just going to say I was born in the UK but don't have a UK passport.
Cut them some slack. UK Border Force staff are under a huge amount of pressure at the moment. Their workload has massively increased as a result of the double whammy brexit and covid but staffing levels have not. Add to that the pingdemic issue sending some staff home at the drop of a hat and it's not really a surprise that the welcome to the UK might not be as warm as we all would like it to be. They are doing their best under very difficult circumstances.
Old Jul 29th 2021, 12:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
Cut them some slack. UK Border Force staff are under a huge amount of pressure at the moment. Their workload has massively increased as a result of the double whammy brexit and covid but staffing levels have not. Add to that the pingdemic issue sending some staff home at the drop of a hat and it's not really a surprise that the welcome to the UK might not be as warm as we all would like it to be. They are doing their best under very difficult circumstances.
Regardless of all the excuses, there are no excuses for them bullying a lady to the point of tears, because she was travelling with 2 passports! Sigh

(i.e.
Originally Posted by bats
I waa given a huge amount of grief by the border control people last time I tried to enter on a Canadian passport. Tgey were in the wrong but tgey still reduced me to tears. I won't risk it again.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point

An update on my trip to UK LHR from YYZ Toronto.

I have just come back and wanted to report on what worked well for me, as a vaccinated dual citizen living in Canada.

PCR test done at shoppers drug mart in Aurora, promptly got results back, and it was the only company Air canada recommended, but highly priced at $220.

I then filled in the passenger locator form, and got the paper docs ready from the PCR , printed all off.

Arrived at Pearson early, and queued up at check out for over an hour, as all check in desks were dealing with lots of people, who were flying to different countries, different rules, and not everyone had documentation correct. But got through just fine, security was quiet.

Coming into Heathrow was a breeze just went through e gates with Canadian passport, no paperwork shown. maybe cos air Canada at Pearson had input all the details?

I used randox for the day 2, day5 and day 8 quarantine tests, not badly priced at £43 each, by post, and as I was staying at my daughters near a dedicated randox drop box, i got my results back within the same day, each time. Air canada had recommended them, and gave a discount code too.

the day before flying back to Canada, I had gotten my departure randox results, and used the web version of Arrivecan, inputted all the details, including passport, and vaccination information too. Then I printed randox pcr results, and web receipt from arrive can.

Heathrow airport was good too, flight at 2pm, breezed through checkin , where they wanted to see the pcr results, security was quick too.

at Pearson, i was pleasantly surprised to have not too long to wait for passport checks, and border control wanted to see my pcr test and passport, and said they could see all the arrivecan information on their screen , that I had downloaded before i left the uk..

No extra covid test done at the airport

Sue

Old Aug 20th 2021, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glad you had a smooth trip. Newspapers report many travel problems, which I'm sure a minority experience, but not everybody. Still a bit of a risk, e.g. if quarantine rules change mid-trip, but risk is (finally) reducing. Randox gave you a great service.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes randox were good, even thought they had gotten stacks of negative reviews, I think the fact there was a randox drop off box near to me, and doing the home test correctly, cam up trumps.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanmountain
An update on my trip to UK LHR from YYZ Toronto.

I have just come back and wanted to report on what worked well for me, as a vaccinated dual citizen living in Canada.

PCR test done at shoppers drug mart in Aurora, promptly got results back, and it was the only company Air canada recommended, but highly priced at $220.

I then filled in the passenger locator form, and got the paper docs ready from the PCR , printed all off.

Arrived at Pearson early, and queued up at check out for over an hour, as all check in desks were dealing with lots of people, who were flying to different countries, different rules, and not everyone had documentation correct. But got through just fine, security was quiet.

Coming into Heathrow was a breeze just went through e gates with Canadian passport, no paperwork shown. maybe cos air Canada at Pearson had input all the details?

I used randox for the day 2, day5 and day 8 quarantine tests, not badly priced at £43 each, by post, and as I was staying at my daughters near a dedicated randox drop box, i got my results back within the same day, each time. Air canada had recommended them, and gave a discount code too.

the day before flying back to Canada, I had gotten my departure randox results, and used the web version of Arrivecan, inputted all the details, including passport, and vaccination information too. Then I printed randox pcr results, and web receipt from arrive can.

Heathrow airport was good too, flight at 2pm, breezed through checkin , where they wanted to see the pcr results, security was quick too

Sue
Glad to read all went so well for you, particularly from my POV as we're doing the same route on Thursday. I assume you were in the UK for a while as you mention the expense of getting a PCR test to get there? My understanding is that now the much cheaper antigen test is adequate although PCR is still needed to fly back to Canada.
The AC site seems to have gone through an update now on its travel hub regarding entry advice - now you input your route and it personalises the advice as to what documentation and testing is required for each country.
Old Aug 29th 2021, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanmountain
Hi everyone, I am making a trip to see my daughter and mum in a weeks time, from Toronto to Heathrow, uk...

I am a Canadian and British citizen, with both passports, and resident in Canada. I have had my vaccines here in Toronto, and I understand I have to quarantine for 10 days when I get to the uk, have pcr tests 2 and 8 days, all booked, and pcr test to fly out each way.

I am flying out on my Canadian passport, but in normal times gone past, i have entered UK on my UK passport, quick and easy... But which queue do you suggest i go in this time?

Do i put my Uk passport details on the passenger locator form, or my Canadian? I would love to go in the shorter queue, which ever one that may be! I just don't want to confuse border control

Has anyone experienced this yet?

Sue
My wife just did this. She put her UK passport on the UK Passenger Locator Form. She travelled on her US passport Washington to Manchester via Paris. However, once in the UK, she went through immigration with her UK passport which turned out to be faster (it usually is in my experience). You're supposed to enter the UK with whatever passport you put on the Passenger Locator Form so you can't wait and see what the lines look like as this form has already been completed online before your flight to the UK (Air France checked this in Paris before she boarded the flight to Manchester). She used her US passport all the way on the trip back to the US.