Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

at border control uk- which queue should I go in?

at border control uk- which queue should I go in?

Old Jul 21st 2021, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

susanmountain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default at border control uk- which queue should I go in?

Hi everyone, I am making a trip to see my daughter and mum in a weeks time, from Toronto to Heathrow, uk...

I am a Canadian and British citizen, with both passports, and resident in Canada. I have had my vaccines here in Toronto, and I understand I have to quarantine for 10 days when I get to the uk, have pcr tests 2 and 8 days, all booked, and pcr test to fly out each way.

I am flying out on my Canadian passport, but in normal times gone past, i have entered UK on my UK passport, quick and easy... But which queue do you suggest i go in this time?

Do i put my Uk passport details on the passenger locator form, or my Canadian? I would love to go in the shorter queue, which ever one that may be! I just don't want to confuse border control

Has anyone experienced this yet?

Sue

Old Jul 21st 2021, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

la3morri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: at border control uk- which queue should I go in?

Hi sue,
Also a dual - I bring both passports with me and use whichever one gets me in the faster lane
Old Jul 21st 2021, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

I agree, i do that mostly too, my quandary is because of the passenger locator form, it asks which passport you are coming in on, which may be the uk, one, but won't correspond with the Canadian one I flew out on, also if i go in the UK queue , and present my PLF, I will have declared i am not UK vaccinated( canda vaccinated- doesn't count)

....a
Old Jul 21st 2021, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Don't sweat it. No-one knows which queue will be faster when you travel and the difference is unlikely to be excessive.
Old Jul 21st 2021, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

yes you are right, i wont sweat it, I have given myself 5 hours to get out of heathrow f and catch the train up north!
Old Jul 21st 2021, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

It took me 40 minutes to get through Heathrow a few weeks ago and some friends a similar time at a later date, notwithstanding newspaper reports of 6 hour delays. This was before the e-gates re-opened to speed things up, although passenger numbers were also lower then. I expect there are occasional long delays, but the exception not the rule. Of course, pre-covid you could walk through an e-gate in seconds.

Given at least some (all?) the e-gates are now open, the UK passport may be the better option.
Old Jul 24th 2021, 10:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la3morri
Hi sue,
Also a dual - I bring both passports with me and use whichever one gets me in the faster lane
I waa given a huge amount of grief by the border control people last time I tried to enter on a Canadian passport. Tgey were in the wrong but tgey still reduced me to tears. I won't risk it again.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

I would use whatever passport is on your COVID documentation to avoid any issues. The documentation is rigidly checked for completness before they let you through check in. A number of people had issues with their documentation at check in. We traveled back to the UK last weekend via Heathrow. It was chaos in Terminal 2. We entered on a British passport as we will not be returning to Canada and it didn't seem to matter whether you were entering the Uk as a UK citizen or non citizen, they just bundled everyone into 1 queue. It took us about 11/2hrs to get through customs.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
I waa given a huge amount of grief by the border control people last time I tried to enter on a Canadian passport. Tgey were in the wrong but tgey still reduced me to tears. I won't risk it again.
the uk border officers got upset with you for using a Canadian passport to come into the uk? Instead of your uk one?
Old Jul 25th 2021, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
I would use whatever passport is on your COVID documentation to avoid any issues. The documentation is rigidly checked for completness before they let you through check in. A number of people had issues with their documentation at check in. We traveled back to the UK last weekend via Heathrow. It was chaos in Terminal 2. We entered on a British passport as we will not be returning to Canada and it didn't seem to matter whether you were entering the Uk as a UK citizen or non citizen, they just bundled everyone into 1 queue. It took us about 11/2hrs to get through customs.
Hi Sparky, yes it does make sense to use the passport listed on the passenger locator form, which will be my Canadian passport, but then some say its best to use the UK passport, . But if we are all in one queue, it wont matter will it? i don't mind 1 1/2 hours if i know I don't have to go to the toilet mid queue!
Old Jul 25th 2021, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Entering using the passport on the passenger locator form would allow you to use the e-gates, which should be faster (just checked and Canadian passports can use the e-gates, hadn't known that). If you have a manual check, it's slightly easier if the entry passport matches the locator form but shouldn't make any real difference. If it were me, I'd enter using the matching passport to keep it simple, and use the e-gate unless the manual check queue is moving faster (unlikely).
Old Jul 25th 2021, 11:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susanmountain
the uk border officers got upset with you for using a Canadian passport to come into the uk? Instead of your uk one?
yep, they were pretty nasty about it too.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Good news for double jabbed xpats returning to uk
Double-jabbed British expats could see travel rules eased next month | Daily Mail Online
Old Jul 26th 2021, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
yep, they were pretty nasty about it too.
For the US a citizen is supposed to enter, and leave on a US passport, I thought for British citizen technically the same rule entering the UK.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

It's not rocket science. What do the signs say at the airport on arriving?
If the sign says UK passport holders and you are carrying a UK passport then it cant be much simpler than that.
If the sign says UK residents then as long as you are living in the UK then not a problem.
A lot of airports now use the e gates or kiosk systems so you are dealing with a machine.
Now if you are actually dealing with a human being then the only thing they are concerned with is does the person in front of them have a right of entry into the UK or can they be refused.

The US is a different animal all together but this thread talks about entering the UK so lets keep it to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.