Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Booze etc from US

Booze etc from US

Old May 18th 2012, 6:44 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booze etc from US

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Believe it or not I actually worked at Checkpoint Charlie when the wall was up. It was mainly West Berliners and Allied troops buying the crystal and other stuff at what was then 4 to 1 ratio in the Deutsche Mark. A quick trip to the currency exchange (all highly illegal) cross over and buy the stuff.
Ah the good old days
Believe it or not, I do believe it. Have clipboard, will travel.
Old May 18th 2012, 7:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
So, off to Niagara and into the US over the weekend. Will be out of Canada less than 24 hours. As we all know, CBSA enforce the rules re tax free allowances entirely randomly and with no attention to the actual law but based on mood. So, my question is, how much booze and clothes can I try to bring back (declaring them) while hoping to not be charged duty?
I'd be interested to know what they charge for a 20 or 30 litre keg of premium quality lager down there. If you are able to ascertain that information please pass it on.
Old May 19th 2012, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice

In my experience on shopping trips to Buffalo, they will usually let you off with a couple of hundred dollars worth of shopping - as long as you're honest and admit you've been in the US on a shopping trip for the day. Have your receipts handy for inspection, though, just in case they query anything. If you make their lives easier, they are less likely to bother you.

Booze, on the other hand, seems to be a different story. They always ask if you have any alcohol, which leads me to believe there is less tolerance if you want to take any back across the border.

It amazes me how cheap beer is in the States, though. I've seen 30 packs of beer (nothing special, mind you) for about $13! I also bought a 750 mL bottle of vodka (no name brand, but nothing wrong with it and still full strength) earlier this year in Florida for all of seven bucks!

This might go without saying, but you should also fill up your car with fuel when you're down there. Gas is quite a bit cheaper in the US (although it's annoying always having to prepay for fuel and not knowing how much a fill up costs).
Old May 19th 2012, 3:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aberdeen_Loon
it's annoying always having to prepay for fuel
You should try and get a credit card, even a prepaid one. That would solve that problem (though not admittedly if the pump is one that wants to validate your zip).
Old May 19th 2012, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Aberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really niceAberdeen_Loon is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
You should try and get a credit card, even a prepaid one. That would solve that problem (though not admittedly if the pump is one that wants to validate your zip).
The ZIP code was the issue (90210 didn't work)!
Old May 19th 2012, 10:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So if they strictly adhered to the law then being absent for less than 24 hours means you pay on all purchases being there is no personal exemption for less than 24 hours. Do you prefer they strictly adhere to the law and charge taxes or give travellers a bit of a break if not charging them?
Some of us prefer not to be known as the grocery Police.
Well, that's not the whole story because of NAFTA. Most grocery items are not subject to tax in Canada and being US-source there's no duty either so there is no tax to charge. I give CBSA my receipts at the POE sometimes, some of the grocery items like chocolate are subject to tax but given that it's about 10% of my shopping the tax would be less than $5 so they don't care.
Old May 19th 2012, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well, that's not the whole story because of NAFTA. Most grocery items are not subject to tax in Canada and being US-source there's no duty either so there is no tax to charge. I give CBSA my receipts at the POE sometimes, some of the grocery items like chocolate are subject to tax but given that it's about 10% of my shopping the tax would be less than $5 so they don't care.
True but who carries around the list of goods that are not subject to GST but subject to PST or subject to GST but not subject to PST or subject to HST or not subject to HST
Most CBSA officers will just punch in groceries in the computer as either taxable or not taxable rather than asking do you have more than 6 doughnuts in that package or are the nuts salted or not.
Some might even use this link
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html
Old May 19th 2012, 11:49 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Any more than a 6-pack and you'll be asked to cough up in my experience.... And whilst you're in there paying for that, you'll have to pay tax on everything else non grocery.... So it's not worth it IMO...
Old May 19th 2012, 11:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

True but who carries around the list of goods that are not subject to GST but subject to PST or subject to GST but not subject to PST or subject to HST or not subject to HST
Not an issue in Alberta. When it comes to groceries, either GST or no GST and I've got a pretty good idea what is subject to GST.
Old May 20th 2012, 4:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aberdeen_Loon
The ZIP code was the issue (90210 didn't work)!
It wants to validate against the one for your account. I don't know an easy way around that but, at least, it's only a few petrol stations.
Old May 20th 2012, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It wants to validate against the one for your account. I don't know an easy way around that but, at least, it's only a few petrol stations.
Wasnt there a thread on here about how to bypass the zip code requirement or did I read it on the Redflagdeals.com travel forum on how to get around it.
Its a bit of a pain even when you go inside with your credit card and they ask you how much do you think it will be for a fill?
I just get the OH to stand there with the card at the till while I fill up.
PITA but thats the US for ya.
Old May 20th 2012, 6:31 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Just stick them in the back of the car and say nothing. I regularly bring back 120 beers plus five or six big boxes of wine. Canadian border guards are dopey ****s. In my experience I don't think they hire the best and the brightest.
Shall I enter in an investigation
Old May 20th 2012, 7:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
They're for home consumption.
Old May 21st 2012, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boy d
Just pass his details to the Pacific Region IBET team Im sure they might follow up There again Oink could be just playing with us but if he was caught with the undeclared booze then his credit card might take a hit to get his vehicle or boat back.
Old May 21st 2012, 4:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Wasnt there a thread on here about how to bypass the zip code requirement or did I read it on the Redflagdeals.com travel forum on how to get around it.
You just go in and pay at the till, simple as that. Or get a credit card from an American bank and have a US address as the billing address. Which isn't really an issue as you can do it all on-line nowadays, the IRS don't really care about credit cards, but they care if you have a US bank account with a US address on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.