British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Booking you dog with Air Transat - How Long to Confirm?? Been a week!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/booking-you-dog-air-transat-how-long-confirm-been-week-923222/)

Lion Heart Mar 14th 2019 12:04 pm

Booking you dog with Air Transat - How Long to Confirm?? Been a week!!!

Hi guys

We're using a Pet Travel company to book our dog London to Toronto. She's a big girl so is going cargo (55kg).

Booked her in Friday of last week. The company checked beforehand and confirmed the space was available on the flight we wanted, so we booked.

I expected to hear back Friday afternoon with confirmation so we could go ahead and book our own flights, but nothing. So called them up and they advised that Air Transat are very slow confirming, and the typical turnaround time is a week!!!

That was Friday last week, Thursday today. Called them again, still no update, but they advised they cannot even chase Air Transat before a week has passed as that's the 'typical' timescale.

Can Air Transat really be that appalling at taking the money and confirming the space??? Or are we being given the runaround so they can try and book some space cheaper later??????

Really REALLY annoying as we fly out in 3 weeks and need this sorted! And paid good money for the service (£1,200).

People reading who have used Air Transat for this route before for dogs in CARGO (not in hold or cabin) - can you recall how long it took to get your confirmation back once you booked with your pet travel company?

Lion Heart Mar 15th 2019 2:56 pm

Re: Booking you dog with Air Transat - How Long to Confirm?? Been a week!!!

Oficially one week ago today and still no confirmation!!

Anyone?

Siouxie Mar 15th 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lion Heart (Post 12653505)
Hi guys

We're using a Pet Travel company to book our dog London to Toronto. She's a big girl so is going cargo (55kg).

Booked her in Friday of last week. The company checked beforehand and confirmed the space was available on the flight we wanted, so we booked.

I expected to hear back Friday afternoon with confirmation so we could go ahead and book our own flights, but nothing. So called them up and they advised that Air Transat are very slow confirming, and the typical turnaround time is a week!!!

That was Friday last week, Thursday today. Called them again, still no update, but they advised they cannot even chase Air Transat before a week has passed as that's the 'typical' timescale.

Can Air Transat really be that appalling at taking the money and confirming the space??? Or are we being given the runaround so they can try and book some space cheaper later??????

Really REALLY annoying as we fly out in 3 weeks and need this sorted! And paid good money for the service (£1,200).

People reading who have used Air Transat for this route before for dogs in CARGO (not in hold or cabin) - can you recall how long it took to get your confirmation back once you booked with your pet travel company?

Curious as to why you didn't book directly with Air Transat Cargo - much cheaper and easy to contact them yourself to book it. There isn't any requirement with Air Transat to use a 3rd party booking service as far as I am aware, unlike Air Canada /BA

That fee is quite hefty but consists mainly of the pet freight company fees - rather than Air Transat's I suspect! My son had boxes and boxes sent air cargo, enough to fill the back of a long wheel base pick up truck, stacked, and it cost a couple of hundred pounds. It would be interesting to see what price you could get quoted by contact Air Transat Cargo directly :)

https://www.leisurecargo.com/airport...twick-airport/ or you could send an email enquiry
https://www.leisurecargo.com/e-servi...oking-enquiry/

raindropsandroses Mar 15th 2019 9:05 pm

No that's ridiculous. We didn't fly our pets with Air Transat, they went Air Canada Cargo, but that's absurd that you haven't had confirmation.

Our pet travel company were in contact every day confirming things and reassuring me from around a month prior to our flights.

Time for a very firm phone call I think.

Magiscribe Mar 15th 2019 10:34 pm

Hopefully you will hear something soon...which pet travel company is it? Have they been good at keeping in contact? We are about to book our pet flight and corresponding personal flights ...flying Air Canada though....

have you you tried calling Air Transat direct to confirm actual booking?

hope things work out for you

Magiscribe Mar 15th 2019 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12654431)
Curious as to why you didn't book directly with Air Transat Cargo - much cheaper and easy to contact them yourself to book it. There isn't any requirement with Air Transat to use a 3rd party booking service as far as I am aware, unlike Air Canada /BA

That fee is quite hefty but consists mainly of the pet freight company fees - rather than Air Transat's I suspect! My son had boxes and boxes sent air cargo, enough to fill the back of a long wheel base pick up truck, stacked, and it cost a couple of hundred pounds. It would be interesting to see what price you could get quoted by contact Air Transat Cargo directly :)

https://www.leisurecargo.com/airport...twick-airport/ or you could send an email enquiry
https://www.leisurecargo.com/e-servi...oking-enquiry/

just to to answer that question....I asked Leisure Cargo for a direct quote to transport my 40kg dog to Toronto direct in early May...they quoted £1050.00....without any paperwork, vet checks or crate.....flight only!

Hurlabrick Mar 15th 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Magiscribe (Post 12654519)

just to to answer that question....I asked Leisure Cargo for a direct quote to transport my 40kg dog to Toronto direct in early May...they quoted £1050.00....without any paperwork, vet checks or crate.....flight only!

Must have been putting him in the business class seats!

Siouxie Mar 16th 2019 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Magiscribe (Post 12654519)

Yikes!

You would be expected to supply the paperwork, get a fit to fly certificate and supply the crate, of course - they are not a pet flight company, they are an international Cargo company, the arrangements are your responsibility, they just do the physical part of transporting from airport a to airport b.

I am shocked at the quote you received though as Air Transat are charging $275 from the UK to Canada as checked.baggage (they only have to go cargo if over 45k incl crate - or flying FROM Canada to the UK). https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...d-service-dogs

Magiscribe Mar 16th 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12654596)
Yikes!

You would be expected to supply the paperwork, get a fit to fly certificate and supply the crate, of course - they are not a pet flight company, they are an international Cargo company, the arrangements are your responsibility, they just do the physical part of transporting from airport a to airport b.

I am shocked at the quote you received though as Air Transat are charging $275 from the UK to Canada as checked.baggage (they only have to go cargo if over 45k incl crate - or flying FROM Canada to the UK). https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...d-service-dogs

the joys of Cargo!......

Magiscribe Mar 16th 2019 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12654521)
Must have been putting him in the business class seats!

I had one pet transport company quote me £2600.00!!!!!....( actual real life, no joke, quote).....I responded I only wanted to transport my dog safely not have her sat next to the Captain for duration of the journey eating caviar bones and sipping on Perrier water.......

Lichisadave Mar 18th 2019 9:33 pm

Hi we transported our Lab last year with Airtransat in checked Baggage I think it took around 10 days for them to confirm I was getting a bit stressed at the wait. Hope you hear soon.

That was business days

Lion Heart Mar 19th 2019 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Lichisadave (Post 12655985)
Hi we transported our Lab last year with Airtransat in checked Baggage I think it took around 10 days for them to confirm I was getting a bit stressed at the wait. Hope you hear soon.

That was business days

Just got confirmation yesterday. Took 10 days total. Appalling service from Air Transat...

In fact the is a Cargo company that handles all the cargo for Air Transat and quite a few other airlines too. The sole official agent. It's more likely them than Air Transat themselves, but either way terrible service all things considered.

They confirmed the spaCe for our dog was available. We paid in full. That should have been the end of it, all booked. Turns out that's just the start of a long and needless process !!

Lichisadave Mar 19th 2019 7:11 pm

We where lucky we didn’t need to use a company our dog was slightly over the weight but he fitted in an X-large crate which is under the max crate size for checked baggage. If it’s any consolation it was much less stressful than I imagined it would be.