Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Booked our currency exchange

Booked our currency exchange

Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of
Default Re: Booked our currency exchange

Originally Posted by budcolin
We're doing the same...furnished apt in Halifax for the 1st month, then hope to secure something longer termHope you're all organised with the packing, sorting etc.....just like usi wish
Yeah, I'm procrastinating big time!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:03 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Found this site which I'm now going to be looking at daily while I wait to bring my money over.

The pound is getting stronger (BBC story for £ against Euro), I'm hoping that althrough the trends on this site are still down that it's bottomed out and heading the other way now, albeit slowly.

Mainly posting as it has the history back in 1948 - if only I'd been bringing money then (oh and alive!) I would have got $4 for my £1

Last edited by Hobbess; Jun 11th 2009 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 4:17 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hobbess
Found this site which I'm now going to be looking at daily while I wait to bring my money over.

The pound is getting stronger (BBC story for £ against Euro), I'm hoping that althrough the trends on this site are still down that it's bottomed out and heading the other way now, albeit slowly.

Mainly posting as it has the history back in 1948 - if only I'd been bringing money then (oh and alive!) I would have got $4 for my £1
I dont think i want to look at this
that $4 in 1948 would have bought a house and a brand new car (in black) with a wind up starter
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of

We spoke with Money Corp this afternoon and they said they couldn't see it going about 1.85 for some time to come ...... I guess they might have just been trying to get a sale too though
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:41 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Booked our currency exchange

Originally Posted by luvmykids
We spoke with Money Corp this afternoon and they said they couldn't see it going about 1.85 for some time to come ...... I guess they might have just been trying to get a sale too though
I reckon it's best to keep an eye on it yourself and go with instinct.xe.com is pretty accurate
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

If you need a little tool to help you watch the live rates go here http://quote2.fxtrek.com/Misc/promoC...sp?df=iwizard2 the CAD is currently at 1.826 and rising you could easily expect it to hit 1.85 by next week provided there is no bad news from government in the UK and the price of oil doesnt rocket, Hope this helps
Old Jun 12th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

I'm an absolute idiot, I just placed an order with HiFX accidentally because I clicked the wrong button ... to add salt to injury I've accidentally bought the currency I actually wanted to sell... good heavens
Old Jun 12th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Booked our currency exchange

we are looking at a few of these brokers. is halo generally the best? ive also looked at hifx
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:12 pm
Wellington NS

Originally Posted by Paul5455
we are looking at a few of these brokers. is halo generally the best? ive also looked at hifx
I think they're all roughly the same, Halo were very helpful and informative about the market, and kept us informed.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

I use interchangefx.co.uk they seem to offer a good rate, and the transfers were done in 24hrs at no charge, but this depends on the amount being transfered, if you transfer say 5k then there would probably be a £10 charge,and a lower exchange rate, I transfered £36k to begin with, there were NO charge and the rate was just 1 cent lower than the inter banking rate Once you get over the 100k mark the rates are even better around 1/4 of a cent less, Hope this helps
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:39 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

It's worthwhile taking a little bit of time and setting up accounts with at least 2 if not 3 brokers. If you're bringing over significant cash then it means you can get a few quotes and even the small difference can meam a couple of hundred extra bucks in your pocket.

I used Currencies Direct the one time I have done the move, but have accounts with HIFX and XEtrade.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hobbess
It's worthwhile taking a little bit of time and setting up accounts with at least 2 if not 3 brokers. If you're bringing over significant cash then it means you can get a few quotes and even the small difference can meam a couple of hundred extra bucks in your pocket.

I used Currencies Direct the one time I have done the move, but have accounts with HIFX and XEtrade.
I'll go with that...just remember it can somtimes take a couple of days to set the account up as well (depending on who you use)as they require stuff like copies of passports, utility bills etc, most will except scanned copies emailed, others want them in the post.....So set the accounts up now.... and wait for the loonie to get to the right price that you are comfortable with then it is a simple case of making a couple of calls......all the brokerage firms I tried will answer really quickly, i dont think any of them have queing systems (not that i know of)
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:59 pm
Wellington NS

Smile Re: Booked our currency exchange

Yep, we set up accounts with Halo, HIFX and Moneycorp.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by luvmykids
The loonie is just half a cent of the 1.85 you wanted....came around sooner than i said currently 1.8466
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by phat-dave
I'm an absolute idiot, I just placed an order with HiFX accidentally because I clicked the wrong button ... to add salt to injury I've accidentally bought the currency I actually wanted to sell... good heavens
Can you contact them and explain the error and see if they will revert it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.