British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   bonfire night in toronto??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/bonfire-night-toronto-262033/)

nybrandon Oct 24th 2004 10:00 pm

bonfire night in toronto???

i'm a university student in buffalo and some of the british students and myself were wondering if there are any planned events for bonfire night. we've been looking, but to no avail... any help would be great.

iaink Oct 25th 2004 12:52 am

Re: bonfire night in toronto???

Never heard of anything in my time here. Sorry.

Originally Posted by nybrandon
i'm a university student in buffalo and some of the british students and myself were wondering if there are any planned events for bonfire night. we've been looking, but to no avail... any help would be great.

ray1968 Oct 25th 2004 12:55 am

Me too ..nothing organised here that I know of

willmore Oct 25th 2004 1:11 am

We do have a bonfire in Victoria run and controlled by the fire department of course...it's a family affair..food and drink provided......and lots of junk for kids.....great family fun....if you can stand the cold weather...... :D

wizzard Oct 25th 2004 1:35 am

One problem in trying to arrange it would probably be the laws around fireworks. You'd have to get some sort of special permit and then find somewhere to actually buy fireworks unless you saved some from Canada Day.

Noone here cares really, it's a very British holiday event as it pertains specifically to British history and so doesn't really translate well inernationally. I mean really, if you try and explain how some guy a few hundred years ago allegedly tried to blow up parliament to kill the government and the king but failed and nothing happened except him and his conspiritors got executed and so every year people burn effergies of him , it all comes accross as a little odd. I mean the US doesn't even burn effergies of Osama on 9/11 and he succeeded in his plot. Even then can you imagine trying to explain such a holiday in say 200 years. I had to take my wife to the York Dungeons where they were doing a Guy Fawkes section illustrating the whole thing to get it to make sense.

Drew

nybrandon Oct 25th 2004 2:02 am

that's true, i suppose it doesn't mean much. we'll just have to figure something out.

thanks anyways.

ClareBC Oct 25th 2004 5:33 am

I'm amazed that anyone knows what you are talking about! I've lost people on the word "bonfire"!!!

:D

Covenant Oct 25th 2004 10:00 am

Point of interest is that its traditional to have firworks on Diwali, a Hindu and sikh Festival (Festival of Lights) and this is normally very close to Bonfire Night, ie this year it's on 12 November. It may be possible to buy fireworks from some Asian stores, but tbh best if Ray 1968 answers this one, as he might know of retailers in the area.