Blu Ray

Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

kaz19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blu Ray

Does anyone know if blu ray DVD's bought in the UK will work in Canada. I know normal DVD's come in Region 1 and 2 and you need a multi region DVD player to play both but is this the same for Blu Ray.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blu Ray

I'm not certain, but I believe Blu-Ray is even more crippled with 'digital rights management' than DVDs; that's why I haven't bought any yet.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkG
I'm not certain, but I believe Blu-Ray is even more crippled with 'digital rights management' than DVDs; that's why I haven't bought any yet.
DRM is a little different to region encoding. There are less Blu-ray regions than there were with DVD. In fact a lot of Blu-ray discs are region free (unlike DVD) check this list for which discs work on which players:

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s....php?p=7404883
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

When we looked at blu-ray we did see that it was regional coded like DVD's
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

pcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the roughpcuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kaz19
Does anyone know if blu ray DVD's bought in the UK will work in Canada. I know normal DVD's come in Region 1 and 2 and you need a multi region DVD player to play both but is this the same for Blu Ray.
The short answer is yes. Uk is in Zone B and North America is A.

Some titles are not region encoded but to be on the safe side expect discs purchased over in Canada not to work on a player purchesed in europe. Some multi-region players are starting to appear but they are still pretty expensive at the mo.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:59 am
Just Joined

onside is an unknown quantity at this point

Try unlocking a DVD player because it's not too hard. First, check out the models available for sale on the websites of all the major electronics retailers and then check http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks to see if there is a hack for the model of DVD player. I easily unlocked a Toshiba DVD player this way... though it's not a Blu Ray. I can play any DVD from around the world on my player.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
When we looked at blu-ray we did see that it was regional coded like DVD's
Yes, but like I said there are less regions and studios are free not to follow it. Many don't as a lot of discs play on any player - see my link again for the list.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 10:34 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Yes, but like I said there are less regions and studios are free not to follow it. Many don't as a lot of discs play on any player - see my link again for the list.
You also need a player which will output NTSC if you are using a standard NTSC Canadian TV as most don't display both in comparison to UK TVs which will display PAL and NTSC.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:17 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

About 70% of blu-ray disks are not region coded. If they are region coded then they have to have the region printed on the packaging. Region codes can be found on the back of the boxes, with a letter in a hexagon. Got a single hexagon with a letter in it (A for Americans, B for Europe and Africa) then it's region coded. No hexagon, or three hexagons with A, B and C then you've got a region free disk.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
You also need a player which will output NTSC if you are using a standard NTSC Canadian TV as most don't display both in comparison to UK TVs which will display PAL and NTSC.
Are you sure? I was under the impression blu-ray outputs HDMI signal which, being all-digital, does not use a tuner (the NTSC or PAL bit inside a TV) to carry the signal to the screen. Any HDMI-equipped TV should work with any HDMI-equipped blu-ray player.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Are you sure? I was under the impression blu-ray outputs HDMI signal which, being all-digital, does not use a tuner (the NTSC or PAL bit inside a TV) to carry the signal to the screen. Any HDMI-equipped TV should work with any HDMI-equipped blu-ray player.
My laptop has blu-ray, it will conect to any hidef tv via a HDMI lead
Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

PAL/NTSC is irrelevant for BluRay, it outputs a 1080p signal through HDMI. If you're hooking it up to an old NTSC cathode ray tube TV then I'd suggest you could save quite a bit of money by just buying a VCR
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:03 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
PAL/NTSC is irrelevant for BluRay, it outputs a 1080p signal through HDMI. If you're hooking it up to an old NTSC cathode ray tube TV then I'd suggest you could save quite a bit of money by just buying a VCR
Not strictly true - it's still possible to have a 50hz or 60hz signal, though most if not all blurays are 24fps or 60hz. My experience of Canadian/US TV's is that they won't display a 50hz signal, I have both a Panasonic plasma and a Samsung LCD, neither of which will display a 50hz picture. I know this because I have a UK bought HD camcorder which outputs 1080i/50hz via HDMI and it no worky on either on them
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tangram
I'm making the assumption that if you are running blu-ray you are running one of the hi-def resolutions (1080p 720p etc) across HDMI etc. in which case NTSC/PAL is irrelevant. If you are running NTSC/PAL standard def out of the player what on earth are you running blu-ray for????
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:53 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Not strictly true - it's still possible to have a 50hz or 60hz signal, though most if not all blurays are 24fps or 60hz. My experience of Canadian/US TV's is that they won't display a 50hz signal, I have both a Panasonic plasma and a Samsung LCD, neither of which will display a 50hz picture. I know this because I have a UK bought HD camcorder which outputs 1080i/50hz via HDMI and it no worky on either on them
blu-ray specifications include both 24fps and 60fps (progressive or interlaced) refresh. HDMI specifications also include both these frame rates. Any blu-ray player that complies with the standard's agreed specifications will output via HDMI interconnect to any HDTV that complies with the standard's agreed specifications, regardless of the source.

Of course, that doesn't help with your HD camcorder, but shouldn't be an issue for the OP's bluray player

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.