Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Old Oct 30th 2006, 1:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Originally Posted by montreal mike
While we're at it what about the idea of allowing anyone, in any country, to go anywhere on the planet, no passport needed, find work, and to move around at will?
Well that's pretty much how it has been until the last 75 years or so. Certainly the vast majority of immigrants to Canada before then did exactly that. Furthermore, many of them didn't find work first, they just used force of arms to displace the indiginents from land they fancied.

Still the same most places.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 1:37 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And, as a certain R. Zimmerman put it:

I pity the poor immigrant
Who tramples through the mud,
Who fills his mouth with laughing
And who builds his town with blood,
Whose visions in the final end
Must shatter like the glass.
I pity the poor immigrant
When his gladness comes to pass.

Shalom.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well that's pretty much how it has been until the last 75 years or so. Certainly the vast majority of immigrants to Canada before then did exactly that. Furthermore, many of them didn't find work first, they just used force of arms to displace the indiginents from land they fancied.

Still the same most places.
Again please take note that my comment was meant to be taken as extreme sarcasm.

I do not dispute that some 75 years ago or earlier this may well have been the case. But we live in a different world. Even income taxes were enacted as a temporary emergency measure during the Great War (as it was then known).

But we have moved on. At least in the western world.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Illegal immigrants, in general, do not earn enough to pay taxes. The argument that they cause a loss of revenue doesn't hold up.
By my calculations if you are correct then they would have to be starving or close to it. The first 9,000 dollars earned is tax free. That works out to some $25.00 a day.

$25.00 a day for the bare necessities of life?

1. to eat (even junk food doesn't come cheap)
2. to put a roof over ones head and stay warm. Even if one stayed in a homeless shelter it would still be hell.
3. to clothe oneself
4. transportation to the job site.

Perhaps one could survive on 25.00 $ CDN in some third world country where living is relatively cheap, but certainly not in this country.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kt0157
Because there are some jobs that aren't economically viable otherwise. In these cases the choice is "job" or "nothing". The economy is expanded if something (rather than nothing) happens: the (little) money earned gets spent in shops, which pay GST, employ other people, etc.

K.
I guess you are alluding to the multiplyer effect (an economics term).

Jobs are not viable if no one wants them or consides the wages as substandard. But if there were no illegals then others (legals) would be forced to take them. Example:In the summer of 1962 I came to Canada. I worked as a dishwasher for a short while. I didn't bother me in the least. In England I had a similar menial job (for the grand sum of three shillings and sixpence an hour) in a bowling alley (Streatham) and it didn't bother me either. I eventually found a better job with long term prospects. But I had to start somewhere. What's wrong with that?
Old Oct 30th 2006, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Jobs are not viable if no one wants them or consides the wages as substandard. But if there were no illegals then others (legals) would be forced to take them. Example:In the summer of 1962 I came to Canada. I worked as a dishwasher for a short while. I didn't bother me in the least. In England I had a similar menial job (for the grand sum of three shillings and sixpence an hour) in a bowling alley (Streatham) and it didn't bother me either. I eventually found a better job with long term prospects. But I had to start somewhere. What's wrong with that?
Illegal immigration is an issue but don't let it get to you too much.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Jobs are not viable if no one wants them or consides the wages as substandard. But if there were no illegals then others (legals) would be forced to take them.
I was referring to the interaction with the minimum wage and illegal immigration. Illegals will take the job because the wages are illegal.

K.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Illegal immigration is an issue but don't let it get to you too much.

It is interesting to see some of these viewpoints because out of the dozen or so people who have been contributing it appears quite a few are in favour and indeed welcome illegal immigrants without predjudice. I am sure that you would get completely the opposite response if you asked the question to Brits living in the UK.
Illegal immigrants are often the subject of much fierce debate in the UK and many people are very definitely against it.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Illegal immigrants are often the subject of much fierce debate in the UK and many people are very definitely against it.
Yes, and many people are for the death penalty, locking up terrorist suspects without trial, and torture. The same "many people" were also up for burning people who said that the Earth went around the Sun. Many people are idiots. The art of politics is taming these idiots. It doesn't always work, especially when the idiots become politicians (e.g. Nazi Germany).

Immigration (legal, illegal) and asylum (genuine, bogus) is a complex issue. It doesn't reduce to simple statements. Anyone reading the tabloids in the UK would think that the English words "asylum seeker" equated to "baby eater".

K.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

By my calculations if you are correct then they would have to be starving or close to it. The first 9,000 dollars earned is tax free. That works out to some $25.00 a day.

$25.00 a day for the bare necessities of life?

1. to eat (even junk food doesn't come cheap)
2. to put a roof over ones head and stay warm. Even if one stayed in a homeless shelter it would still be hell.
3. to clothe oneself
4. transportation to the job site.

Perhaps one could survive on 25.00 $ CDN in some third world country where living is relatively cheap, but certainly not in this country.
Agreed. Food bank operators might say that the working poor, people who barely qualify to pay taxes, are worse off but I shouldn't want to try living like that.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and many people are for the death penalty, locking up terrorist suspects without trial, and torture. The same "many people" were also up for burning people who said that the Earth went around the Sun. Many people are idiots. The art of politics is taming these idiots. It doesn't always work, especially when the idiots become politicians (e.g. Nazi Germany).

Immigration (legal, illegal) and asylum (genuine, bogus) is a complex issue. It doesn't reduce to simple statements. Anyone reading the tabloids in the UK would think that the English words "asylum seeker" equated to "baby eater".

K.
So are you suggesting that anybody who is dead against illegal immigration is an idiot????
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

So are you suggesting that anybody who is dead against illegal immigration is an idiot????
Some people have studied the issue and reached their anti-immigrant conclusions based on their studies. Some people just believe the facile rubbish spewed by the tabloid TV/newspapers. The latter are idiots.

K.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A blasphemer, surely?
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some people have studied the issue and reached their anti-immigrant conclusions based on their studies. Some people just believe the facile rubbish spewed by the tabloid TV/newspapers. The latter are idiots.

K.
It would be interesting to know what percentage of people actually disagree with illegal immigration in Canada (or the UK for that matter)
So far on this thread we only have the views of a few people.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people actually disagree with illegal immigration in Canada (or the UK for that matter)
So far on this thread we only have the views of a few people.
Well it's no good asking on this board. Most posters here are imigrants, they just want to fill the country up with people who look like them, eat and drink their strange foods and speak their language.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.