Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Originally Posted by kt0157
Err... unrestricted competition in wages "drives down the economy". Hmmn, I don't think so. Competition for wages makes it more viable to employ people and creates jobs. For sure, it's not pleasant for low-paid workers (competition is never pleasant to people who can't compete: ask a steel worker in the USA). But to employers, and anyone who consumes the products and services of said employers, it's great.

K.
I think you already acknowledge the other side of the coin when you say it's not pleasant for low paid workers. As to employing more people and creating jobs well it seems to me that it is more a case of existing jobs going to the illegals. As to what one pays the illegals sorry but I don't get a lump in my throat since they work under the table and thus can not possibly pay income taxes given the fact that officially they do not exist.

I too would be extremely tempted to work for less if my gross pay were, de facto, my net pay. But I do pay my fair shares of income taxes, EI and govt. pension plan premiums just like most others.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hudman
Very easy to have a cheap shot at illegals without being in their shoes .. I find it very sad that awaiting immigrants or those here, have to have a dig at others who perhaps do not have the resources to go through legal routes.
Why on earth would other immigrants be angered with individual immigrant groups.

My validity as an immigrant is not tied up with someone Else's misfortune of coming here illegally, perhaps if you guys were happier with your lives you would not need someone to berate?
Sorry but it is not a question of cheap shots, having a dig at others, and being so miserable as to having to berate other less fortunate.

I have given my reasons, as have others, for being 100% against illegals. Repeating them at this stage serves no purpose.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I think you already acknowledge the other side of the coin when you say it's not pleasant for low paid workers. As to employing more people and creating jobs well it seems to me that it is more a case of existing jobs going to the illegals. As to what one pays the illegals sorry but I don't get a lump in my throat since they work under the table and thus can not possibly pay income taxes given the fact that officially they do not exist.
I'm not arguing that people should be able to work without paying taxes and bypassing all the immigration checks. It's just that it's not going to damage the economy. In fact, I rather suspect that the sclerotic Canadian economy is likely to benefit.

K.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

didn't you get the sarcasm?
I'm afraid not. I thought your sentiments overblown but if, for example, you eat food grown in Canada you should show some gratitude to the people who make it possible for you to buy it.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I think the point is that the majority of "skilled workers" eg on this forum are not coming over here in order to get jobs as sales assistants and waiters, or to wash dishes and sweep floors etc. Many "home grown" Canadians will feel the same.

Those have entered the country illegally may be less choosy about the type of work they will accept, and probably are willing even to take a second or third job to get an adequate income. There are service industry jobs advertised wherever you look, in Calgary anyway, and many employers appear to find it difficult to fill these posts at the rates of pay people demand.

I see the result in the area of care support workers. I'm not suggesting that any of them are illegal, but many can hardly make themselves understood, and I'm afraid the standard of care is very variable. I'm not saying this is because they are immigrants (after all I am an immigrant myself), nor because they can't speak English well, but the shortage of available workers willing to work for the wage they offer makes it very difficult to find "good" people! Some of them are extremely good, kind and skilled workers, ...... but some are not!
Then perhaps it is a problem with existing immigration policy which seems to place too much emphasis on bringing over skilled workers, professionals, and academics. I have heard this said but do not have the facts to back it up.

I recall, when on an assignment in Hamburg in 1973, that the then German government allowed in many Turks to do menial tasks. It seemed an idyllic arrangement since these legal guest workers sent back home valuable foreign exchange. But that was at another time at another place.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
M.Mike, the way this thread got sidetracked, and the responses you had to your original question, there's no way you'll get an informed debate on this. One of the dumbest responses I saw was "illegal immigrants are the best immigrants". A contradiction in terms, of course.
I'm prepared to debate this and am reasonably well informed.

How is saying that a subset of immigrants is superior to another subset of immigrants a contradiction in terms? You may think the idea wrong, you may even think it's blasphemy, but it's logically valid.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm afraid not. I thought your sentiments overblown but if, for example, you eat food grown in Canada you should show some gratitude to the people who make it possible for you to buy it.
Yes I do eat food grown here and I figure there must be some Canadian born (or legal immigrant) farmers who make it all possible.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Then perhaps it is a problem with existing immigration policy which seems to place too much emphasis on bringing over skilled workers, professionals, and academics. I have heard this said but do not have the facts to back it up.
I've heard a radical proposition for the UK, which would just as well apply to Canada: simply sell permits. A fixed number of permits per year, sold (for example) on EBay. That would very quickly solve all the issues of what is of value to Canada: employers and immigrants just put their money where their mouths are.

K.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I too would be extremely tempted to work for less if my gross pay were, de facto, my net pay. But I do pay my fair shares of income taxes, EI and govt. pension plan premiums just like most others.
My gross pay has been my net pay since I started earning more than $100,000 a year; that was in 1985. Tax reduction is a function of having enough income to pay accountants and lawyers more than one would pay in tax on the average wage. If I earned more, I would be able to pay negative tax due to efficient use of subsidies to my various companies. The Irvings McCains and Blacks of this world are not troubled by the tax bill because the system, at the top, is regressive.

I suppose one can say that an illegal immigrant is in a similar situation in that no tax is paid, but consider the case of the typical farm worker. He, or she, gets $3/hour for doing a dangerous job with no benefits and can only work when the crop is in season and the weather cooperates. If tax were suddenly levied the worker wouldn't have to pay it due to lack of income and would likely even get a GST rebate. I don't thinking taxing the poor is going to get us anywhere.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm not arguing that people should be able to work without paying taxes and bypassing all the immigration checks. It's just that it's not going to damage the economy. In fact, I rather suspect that the sclerotic Canadian economy is likely to benefit.

K.
For the life of me I can't see how the economy is any better off by having illegals who, even if they wanted to pay income taxes, can't

Also without security checks who is to know who gets in? I am not suggestng those 'legals' will never commit crimes once here but at least they have undergone basic screening.

While we're at it what about the idea of allowing anyone, in any country, to go anywhere on the planet, no passport needed, find work, and to move around at will?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've heard a radical proposition for the UK, which would just as well apply to Canada: simply sell permits. A fixed number of permits per year, sold (for example) on EBay. That would very quickly solve all the issues of what is of value to Canada: employers and immigrants just put their money where their mouths are.

K.
I am not necessarily opposed to the idea. It might work. It might fill a valid need. Who knows? But above I would imagine it would be have to be legal, sanctioned, above board, not clandestine, subject to scrutiny and audit.

But why hasn't the govt. acted on such a notion? Our immigration process is far from perfect. No secret there.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
My gross pay has been my net pay since I started earning more than $100,000 a year; that was in 1985. Tax reduction is a function of having enough income to pay accountants and lawyers more than one would pay in tax on the average wage. If I earned more, I would be able to pay negative tax due to efficient use of subsidies to my various companies. The Irvings McCains and Blacks of this world are not troubled by the tax bill because the system, at the top, is regressive.

I suppose one can say that an illegal immigrant is in a similar situation in that no tax is paid, but consider the case of the typical farm worker. He, or she, gets $3/hour for doing a dangerous job with no benefits and can only work when the crop is in season and the weather cooperates. If tax were suddenly levied the worker wouldn't have to pay it due to lack of income and would likely even get a GST rebate. I don't thinking taxing the poor is going to get us anywhere.
The tax system already provides for a basic sum to be tax free. So I would favour filling in a return annually and being told no tax owing.

In your case I don't have the details but I would imagine since you use accountants/lawyers it is all legal and above board. Tax avoidance is legal whereas tax evasion isn't.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

For the life of me I can't see how the economy is any better off by having illegals who, even if they wanted to pay income taxes, can't
Because there are some jobs that aren't economically viable otherwise. In these cases the choice is "job" or "nothing". The economy is expanded if something (rather than nothing) happens: the (little) money earned gets spent in shops, which pay GST, employ other people, etc.

K.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

But why hasn't the govt. acted on such a notion? Our immigration process is far from perfect. No secret there.
Can you really see "Canadian values" supporting the idea of it?

"My God, these people are just buying their way in! Outrageous!"

K.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The tax system already provides for a basic sum to be tax free. So I would favour filling in a return annually and being told no tax owing.

In your case I don't have the details but I would imagine since you use accountants/lawyers it is all legal and above board. Tax avoidance is legal whereas tax evasion isn't.
Illegal immigrants, in general, do not earn enough to pay taxes. The argument that they cause a loss of revenue doesn't hold up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.