Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is It Blasphemy To Criticize Illegal Immigration?

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Because it is totally unfair to those who play by the rules. Plus they will not have to undergo proper background checks viz. security and medical screening. Plus if they can not find employment then how are they supposed to cope? Will they end up as welfare cases (if indeed they can obtain such help)? Or will they become charity cases? Or turn to crime to survive? In Canada one can not legally hire someone without that person having a Social Insurance Number or some kind of official dispensation. So these people are driven to the underground economy.
Nearly all middle class people here have illegal nannies, housekeepers and gardeners. Why not prosecte the employers?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Nearly all middle class people here have illegal nannies, housekeepers and gardeners. Why not prosecte the employers?
Yes I agree. But I don't know if it is a criminal offence to employ illegals.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:49 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

But I don't know if it is a criminal offence to employ illegals.
According to CIC's website:
As an employer, you are responsible for making sure that your workers have the necessary permits. Foreign workers are given Social Insurance Numbers that begin with a nine. This is not proof that the worker has a valid work permit.

You must also make sure that foreign workers working for you follow the conditions and time limits outlined on their work permits. Be aware of the conditions listed on your employees’ work permits.

It is illegal to employ a foreign national who does not have a valid work permit. You must adhere to the conditions described on work permits. See the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for more details on employers’ responsibilities.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But this is a capitalist country, work should go to the cheapest and the keenest and that's the illegals.

They come because they have work, industries based on illegal immigration, such as farming and construction, are very efficient in that regard. Illegal immigrants cannot risk getting arrested as they'll be deported so while a poor legal immigrant can steal to get by an illegal must work. Illegals also cannot be ill as they have to pay for healthcare, it's less than you think and doctors bend the rules but there's some cost involved.

No, only legal immigrants can be a burden on the system. Illegal immigrants are bound to be upstanding non-citizens.
Problem is that work will flow to the cheapest and this has to have a negative effect on other bonafide immigrants and citizens. Also on law abiding businessmen. Working for far less than what is the normal going rate might be fine for the illegals but what does it to wage levels? Not to speak of employment prospects for those legally here. Also how can those who don't or won't hire illegals compete with businesses that do exactly the opposite?

Illegals may, de facto, not use the public health care system but also they pay nothing towards schools and other public services. The various govt. levels do not collect personal income taxes as these people officially don't even exist although govt. at certain levels might collect consumption taxes and property taxes.

As for illegals keeping out of trouble, well sorry I am unimpressed. Even bona fide immigrations will probably do likewise, at least until they are 'safe' and become citizens.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
According to CIC's website:
As an employer, you are responsible for making sure that your workers have the necessary permits. Foreign workers are given Social Insurance Numbers that begin with a nine. This is not proof that the worker has a valid work permit.

You must also make sure that foreign workers working for you follow the conditions and time limits outlined on their work permits. Be aware of the conditions listed on your employees’ work permits.

It is illegal to employ a foreign national who does not have a valid work permit. You must adhere to the conditions described on work permits. See the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for more details on employers’ responsibilities.
Thanks for clearing that up. I trust that dbd33 has also taken note?

Last edited by montreal mike; Oct 29th 2006 at 12:00 am.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clearing that up. I trust that dbd33 has also taken note?
Vaguely. It doesn't have much to do with actual working conditions as it's about SINs, someone employing a bar tender or sewing machine operator , for example, knows there's no SIN to ask for.

A little background:

My brother worked here for eight years or so before becoming legal, for much of that time he lived in this house and so I met his bosses (twenty-five years incorporated in Canada, no work permits) and many of his colleagues (none of them legal, their big fear was being busted for something silly like drunk driving and being deported, it'd usually take a week or so before they'd be back) their whole industry operates on the assumption of illegality. He worked for an Irish firm, their rivals were Portuguese and Jamaican firms, no one working for, or owning, any of these firms had documentation for Canada. When there was a big bust they all went off to Boston and worked there; illegal here, illegal there, nature of the business.

For a year or so my oh has been working here, officially she's a tourist but, in her business, most no one is legal anyway. Her lack of a SIN is neither here nor there.

Illegal immigrants are more important to the country than legal ones because, while legal immigrants arrive on the basis that a salaried government employee thinks they'll find a job, illegal ones come because they already have a job offered by someone who's invested, someone who's going to pay them.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is that work will flow to the cheapest and this has to have a negative effect on other bonafide immigrants and citizens. Also on law abiding businessmen. Working for far less than what is the normal going rate might be fine for the illegals but what does it to wage levels? Not to speak of employment prospects for those legally here. Also how can those who don't or won't hire illegals compete with businesses that do exactly the opposite?
What you're missing is that Canada, like the US, runs on illegal immigrants; it's not a new idea to get some illegals but the bedrock of the economy. If there were no illegals new houses would not get built, crops would not get picked, beer would not be served. Legal immigrants are nice to have but they tend not to be interested in grunt work, they'd rather drive cabs and complain about not being doctors than dig holes. Someone has to do the work to keep the economy going and that's not the people blessed by the CIC.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

What you're missing is that Canada, like the US, runs on illegal immigrants; it's not a new idea to get some illegals but the bedrock of the economy. If there were no illegals new houses would not get built, crops would not get picked, beer would not be served. Legal immigrants are nice to have but they tend not to be interested in grunt work, they'd rather drive cabs and complain about not being doctors than dig holes. Someone has to do the work to keep the economy going and that's not the people blessed by the CIC.
Well that is a point of view. I am not sure I necessarily can agree with you. But on the other hand I do not have any basis to refute your assertion.

You may well be correct, in part or in whole, but does that make it right?

I think not.

I would imagine many posters and lurkers here who played by the rules and who waited patiently to come over and who came through the front door would not be flattered at such a depiction or inference.

Somehow I get the message from your post above that Canada should be grateful to these illegals. They are doing us all a huge favour?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 10:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

Somehow I get the message from your post above that Canada should be grateful to these illegals. They are doing us all a huge favour?
Yes, that's right.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, that's right.
didn't you get the sarcasm?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:30 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

M.Mike, the way this thread got sidetracked, and the responses you had to your original question, there's no way you'll get an informed debate on this. One of the dumbest responses I saw was "illegal immigrants are the best immigrants". A contradiction in terms, of course. I cannot believe that attitude in a country where the majority of the population is made up of "legal" immigrants who followed all the rules to get here. It really is a put-down to the rest of us. Illegal immigrants drive down the economy when they are willing to undercut everyone else in pay. They exploit other illegals and so the cycle continues. By the very fact that they have to keep a low profile they cannot contribute much to the community. My daughter in law was once "illegal", but only because she wouldn't leave my son, who was literally at death's door. She spent two years fighting to stay with him, and the rules seems archaic and totally lacking in compassion, but she did follow them. During that time she could not work, therefore could not contribute. Eventually, she won the battle, and now is a PR, is grateful to be here and is doing everything she can by way of volunteer work to give back to the community.

Illegal immigration as has been discussed on here seems to be a growing industry, and condoned by legal immigrants, to boot. But of course, only those that are already here, and not waiting and working to make it here.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AnnetteM

One of the dumbest responses I saw was "illegal immigrants are the best immigrants". A contradiction in terms, of course. I cannot believe that attitude in a country where the majority of the population is made up of "legal" immigrants who followed all the rules to get here. It really is a put-down to the rest of us. Illegal immigrants drive down the economy when they are willing to undercut everyone else in pay. They exploit other illegals and so the cycle continues. By the very fact that they have to keep a low profile they cannot contribute much to the community.

Illegal immigration as has been discussed on here seems to be a growing industry, and condoned by legal immigrants, to boot. But of course, only those that are already here, and not waiting and working to make it here.
Yes agreed. I tried to make those very same points as you just iterated. I hope those reading this thread can understand or appreciate all this. I am not saying they are morons, far from it, but I am suggesting a hell of a lot of apathy at this forum.

It strikes me incredible that there's no great outrage (anger, annoyance, disgust, however one would characterise it) against these illegals and the lack of response so far seems to be almost of gesture of condoning it.

I guess I will never understand human nature!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
Illegal immigrants drive down the economy when they are willing to undercut everyone else in pay.
Err... unrestricted competition in wages "drives down the economy". Hmmn, I don't think so. Competition for wages makes it more viable to employ people and creates jobs. For sure, it's not pleasant for low-paid workers (competition is never pleasant to people who can't compete: ask a steel worker in the USA). But to employers, and anyone who consumes the products and services of said employers, it's great.

K.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Very easy to have a cheap shot at illegals without being in their shoes, take the example of Nafta's effect on Mexico.
I find it very sad that awaiting immigrants or those here, have to have a dig at others who perhaps do not have the resources to go through legal routes.
Why on earth would other immigrants be angered with individual immigrant groups.
Its the Governments of the west, predominantly the US that has created this situation, as for driving down wages I have not seen many Canadians keen to take the grunt work as Dbd says the system is there ready to use them, whys that.
My validity as an immigrant is not tied up with someone Else's misfortune of coming here illegally, perhaps if you guys were happier with your lives you would not need someone to berate?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:45 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point is that the majority of "skilled workers" eg on this forum are not coming over here in order to get jobs as sales assistants and waiters, or to wash dishes and sweep floors etc. Many "home grown" Canadians will feel the same.

Those have entered the country illegally may be less choosy about the type of work they will accept, and probably are willing even to take a second or third job to get an adequate income. There are service industry jobs advertised wherever you look, in Calgary anyway, and many employers appear to find it difficult to fill these posts at the rates of pay people demand.

I see the result in the area of care support workers. I'm not suggesting that any of them are illegal, but many can hardly make themselves understood, and I'm afraid the standard of care is very variable. I'm not saying this is because they are immigrants (after all I am an immigrant myself), nor because they can't speak English well, but the shortage of available workers willing to work for the wage they offer makes it very difficult to find "good" people! Some of them are extremely good, kind and skilled workers, ...... but some are not!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.