Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bl***y rude Canadian employers or just the way it is?

Bl***y rude Canadian employers or just the way it is?

Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bl***y rude Canadian employers or just the way it is?

Originally Posted by matt_t
I think you misunderstood, I was agreeing that it's a typical "human resources" attitude where people in the administration/recruiting role for that specific company are probably on a power trip, therefore thinking they don't have to give them them the polite "you were unsuccessful email" or just cannot be bothered. Thats the impression I get anyway.
Actually you do raise an interesting point, about the "power trip". Perhaps it's because of the sycophantic nature of applicants, the number of applicants per position, the fact that it's more challenging to get a job nowadays, or whatever. Recruiters often seem to bask in the small opportunity of power they are given. It's a bad strategy though, because if they are an internal recruiter, they may not make the hiring decisions, and end up having daily contact with someone they treated like shite during the interview process.

The first time I was 'part' of a decision team on a new hire, I was showered with gifts and cards from the candidates. I've heard that this is the done thing in North America, but I see straight through it, and in fact take exception to it. It's a bit insulting really, as it kind of suggests that I'm the kind of person to be lulled by such gestures. Oh what the hell, you're hired and bring another 2 boxes of those when you start.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hear, hear, alan!

its just one of those things in the usa and generally in north america...nobody thinks its necessary to reply.

whether or not its due to business practices, i dont know and wouldnt hazard to guess, but could it be...possibly, that the uk is a teeny-weeny bit more politer (!)?

i know, i know, before i get my head bitten off, again, its getting to be the case in the uk too nowadays, where you have to ask for a response..its not automatic.

i dont know....take the case for courtesies...in the uk when a motorist stops for you, either if youre at a crossing or to let your car pass in a narrow street, its kinda automatic, and accepted behaviour to raise a hand in thanks to the other guy, or at least flash your lights...but in canada, i dont think i ever saw that....i even tried it myself when motorists stopped for me to let me cross, in a mall car park etc, and i thanked them, and they just looked at me as if was a weirdo or something...or may be itwas just me....

in a nutshell, i got my job there by cold calling, ie dropping off my cv to every company in a certain area....i had applied by email as well, but like all the respondents on here, it never got anywhere...!

could have been just luck...but hey, in my books, youve got to make your own luck....!

anyway, any QA jobs going anywhere at all pls....

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah, taking 30 seconds out of an hour to manually enter 6 email addresses into the bcc field of a pre-drafted email would be impossible. You'd need a professional team of HR personnel dedicated to just that task. No wonder nobody bothers.

Come on RICH, the reason you don't do it isn't because you don't have time. You don't do it because you don't have to and people will accept it because it's the way things are done.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 2:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

One cannot help but wonder, after several thousand views, a hundred or more replies of varying degrees of usefulness, if anything has or will change?

Debating the issue is pointless unless you are in a position to make or influence a change or get yourself into a position to make a change.

When you go to work today or this week, would you go the HR or the person responsible for hiring and make your views known and stand up for your views where it counts? Would you be prepared to risk your job for what you believe strongly about? If applying for a job, would you let a prospective employer know how rude you think it is not to reply?

Being indignant on a website will make no difference.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 18th 2011 at 2:57 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:38 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
One cannot help but wonder, after several thousand views, a hundred or more replies of varying degrees of usefulness, if anything has or will change?

Debating the issue is pointless unless you are in a position to make or influence a change or get yourself into a position to make a change.

When you go to work today or this week, would you go the HR or the person responsible for hiring and make your views known and stand up for your views where it counts? Would you be prepared to risk your job for what you believe strongly about? If applying for a job, would you let a prospective employer know how rude you think it is not to reply?

Being indignant on a website will make no difference.
You just defined internet forums.... time for everyone to go home.... or out.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:57 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that this is the done thing in North America, but I see straight through it, and in fact take exception to it. It's a bit insulting really, as it kind of suggests that I'm the kind of person to be lulled

And who is you've heard this from? Is it one person, one thousand people or tens of thousands of people? I have been responsible, over the years, for hiring many people from middle management to executive level and never once have I encountered such behavior. It probably exists in isolation but it is not the done thing in North America, IMO.
These "I have heard" generalizations serve no-one.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:03 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Why you didn't get the job
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been a couple of days since receiving an email from the HR manager for a position I applied, he stated if I was interested in speaking further about the role and whether I was comfortable with the salary.

I emailed him that I was interested, but did not hear back. Is it too early or shall I just move on ?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blendin
It's been a couple of days since receiving an email from the HR manager for a position I applied, he stated if I was interested in speaking further about the role and whether I was comfortable with the salary.

I emailed him that I was interested, but did not hear back. Is it too early or shall I just move on ?
You may hear back you may not. Without being in the head of the HR person you'll never know. They may have sent the same e-mail to 20 others as well, we could speculate all day (but we won't).

Keep looking, don't sit and wait for one job, if you find another and get two offers you can take your pick. If you wait, you'll be the only loser.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blendin

I'm very sorry to inform you on a public forum but i'm afraid you didn't get the job

Thank you for applying and they will keep your records on file should a suitable position arise.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

I found it is just their way. If you don't hear after a reasonable time, I would contact them again, or if the job is still advertised, send in another application.

I find Canadian employers not rude exactly, it seems that if you are not what they are looking for, they just dismiss your application without so much as a thanks, but no thanks, or a sorry, you weren't successful this time.

I run my own company in Calgary, and I sub contract to larger companies, and the company I currently have a contract with, I submitted an application 4 times before I got a reply ( and the contract)
They said my application stood out as it kept reappearing every other week!

I guess if a company has 50 to 100 applications for one job, it takes a bit of time to contact all the unsuccessful applications, but it is frustrating not hearing anything. I wouldn't worry about companies not hiring you for annoying them, in my experience persistence pays off, and is sometimes admired by Canadian employers.

I have also found that a British, or in my case Scottish, accent, does go a long way in Canada. You will stand out and be remembered if nothing else!

Good luck, and just keep plugging away!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You may hear back you may not. Without being in the head of the HR person you'll never know. They may have sent the same e-mail to 20 others as well, we could speculate all day (but we won't).

Keep looking, don't sit and wait for one job, if you find another and get two offers you can take your pick. If you wait, you'll be the only loser.
Agree.
I applied for the position last Thursday and got his email this Monday.
I guess I am not used to a "follow-up" email to check if I am comfortable with the salary and interested in speaking further about the position.

Usually, it's either a rejection, interview or no reply.