Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bittersweet Christmas

Bittersweet Christmas

Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:35 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bittersweet Christmas

Originally Posted by G77
Then you'll be more concerned about frostbite or mossie bites than chavs and yobs
Have to say both are huge concerns of mine - particularly mossie bites as I am allergic and get a terrible reaction. The makers of that repelent stuff will make a bundle from me when we move, if you are a gambler put money into shares of these companies and watch their profits rise
Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinytears
IMHO it has gone to the dogs. There are big anti-social behaviour problems, even where I live which is supposedly an affluent area.

The economy has been driven into the ground.

There is very little incentive to work. In fact quite the opposite.

This was all explored in a recent post I did entitled tonight.
tinytears, I've just been reading The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It's a politically correct cookbook and describes contemporary meat shopping at supermarkets, farms and butcher's shops in England. At no point does it mention a risk of being robbed of one's purchase or assaulted while acquiring a brace of grouse. In fact, it's all about animal husbandry and the delights of eating. I'm unable to reconcile this account of life with your description of a country that's fallen in anarchy; can you explain how people manage to go about raising and eating cattle apparently without fear for their lives?
Old Dec 26th 2008, 9:59 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
tinytears, I've just been reading The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It's a politically correct cookbook and describes contemporary meat shopping at supermarkets, farms and butcher's shops in England.
When was that written, was it in your suitcase when you arrived here?
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:10 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

tinytears, I've just been reading The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. It's a politically correct cookbook and describes contemporary meat shopping at supermarkets, farms and butcher's shops in England. At no point does it mention a risk of being robbed of one's purchase or assaulted while acquiring a brace of grouse. In fact, it's all about animal husbandry and the delights of eating. I'm unable to reconcile this account of life with your description of a country that's fallen in anarchy; can you explain how people manage to go about raising and eating cattle apparently without fear for their lives?
This doesn't warrant an answer. I think that the key words in this whole post is "politically correct" - think about it.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G77
Then you'll be more concerned about frostbite or mossie bites than chavs and yobs
Given what she's described, "Bring it on" Mossie's

Y
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tinytears
This doesn't warrant an answer. I think that the key words in this whole post is "politically correct" - think about it.
Hear, hear!

Y
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dbd33,

I think you need a reality check! What on earth has this:

"The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall" got to do with the reality of where Tiny Tears lives??

If you think what she is describing is not real, take me up on this offer!

I live in a tiny village 20 miles South of Birmingham, it's a nice place, no scumbags, no ASBO's, and what Tiny describes is a million miles from where I live.

However, 5 miles South of here is an area called "Redditch" - yes the good old constituency of our prize joker the home secretary "Jackie Smith" who cannot even control the area she represents - let alone the nation!

Redditch is made up of lots of districts, the majority of which Tiny describes would be a nightly event.

Now, never mind the book, lets get real! I'd have a bet with you on here that you could not walk through a part of Redditch - at night without being attacked, or being subjected to some sort of altication.

That's fact! It's not fairy tale, but fact! If you think for one minute you can compare a book - a politically correct one at that, to Tiny's real life experience, well it's laughable!

PM me if you want me to set the walk up for you through Redditch, then when you do get mugged, maybe you can show the Thug that does it, -

Your PC Book Because after all, it says you don't! So I'm sure he'll understand, say sorry, and let you on your way

Yeah Right!

y

Last edited by Yogi-Bear; Dec 26th 2008 at 10:49 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 10:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

At no point does it mention a risk of being robbed of one's purchase or assaulted while acquiring a brace of grouse.
That sums up the different realities of different folk rather well.
Probably quite safe shopping for grouse.
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That sums up the different realities of different folk rather well.
Probably quite safe shopping for grouse.
Yes that's true, you're hardly going to get your average thug wearing a Barbour or a Musto are you? Or, they could've stolen one of course!

There'd be rich pickings amongst shoppers looking for grouse.

Y
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G77
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a bookshop the other day looking at the calenders (so overpriced) ..

I noticed a not so typical England calender (typical in that there were no castles, rolling hills, beautiful architecture) .. no this calender was sick in that it showed pictures of someone with the crack of their arse hanging out with their muffin top spilling over the sides, obsene graffiti sprayed on the wall, fists with lots of gold rings .. well you get the idea .. i did giggle at it, thinking im away from all that now ..

My husband when he first moved to England expected Pink floyd/Beatles/Radio head, just like the songs .. reality check .. He left England so angry, bitter and frustrated.

England is an angry place, im 29 and to be honest i am an angry person, i am always pissed off at something or someone. If someone (male or female) was to start a fight with me, i wouldnt hesitate to hit them back.

I am amazed being here for only almost 3 weeks that i havent got angry with anybody (everybody is far to nice), i am annoyed with the bus strike but i wont let it consume me like i would of in England ..

Its a new sas-lou .. AND I LIKE IT ..
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sas-lou
I was in a bookshop the other day looking at the calenders (so overpriced) ..

I noticed a not so typical England calender (typical in that there were no castles, rolling hills, beautiful architecture) .. no this calender was sick in that it showed pictures of someone with the crack of their arse hanging out with their muffin top spilling over the sides, obsene graffiti sprayed on the wall, fists with lots of gold rings .. well you get the idea .. i did giggle at it, thinking im away from all that now ..

My husband when he first moved to England expected Pink floyd/Beatles/Radio head, just like the songs .. reality check .. He left England so angry, bitter and frustrated.

England is an angry place, im 29 and to be honest i am an angry person, i am always pissed off at something or someone. If someone (male or female) was to start a fight with me, i wouldnt hesitate to hit them back.

I am amazed being here for only almost 3 weeks that i havent got angry with anybody (everybody is far to nice), i am annoyed with the bus strike but i wont let it consume me like i would of in England ..

Its a new sas-lou .. AND I LIKE IT ..
Hey, Good for you Sas I know just where you're coming from with the "Angry" point I was in Calgary in March of this year and could not believe how "stress free" driving was, and as you say, how relaxed the people are.

People are angry here, there's no doubt about that were like sardines in a tin waiting to explode!

Nice poster by the way

Y
Old Dec 26th 2008, 11:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Copywrite 2006 so I suppose written in 2004.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
dbd33,

I think you need a reality check! What on earth has this:

"The River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall" got to do with the reality of where Tiny Tears lives??

If you think what she is describing is not real, take me up on this offer!

I live in a tiny village 20 miles South of Birmingham, it's a nice place, no scumbags, no ASBO's, and what Tiny describes is a million miles from where I live.

However, 5 miles South of here is an area called "Redditch" - yes the good old constituency of our prize joker the home secretary "Jackie Smith" who cannot even control the area she represents - let alone the nation!

Redditch is made up of lots of districts, the majority of which Tiny describes would be a nightly event.

Now, never mind the book, lets get real! I'd have a bet with you on here that you could not walk through a part of Redditch - at night without being attacked, or being subjected to some sort of altication.

That's fact! It's not fairy tale, but fact! If you think for one minute you can compare a book - a politically correct one at that, to Tiny's real life experience, well it's laughable!

PM me if you want me to set the walk up for you through Redditch, then when you do get mugged, maybe you can show the Thug that does it, -

Your PC Book Because after all, it says you don't! So I'm sure he'll understand, say sorry, and let you on your way

Yeah Right!

y

Good God, in no circumstances would I go to the north. Of course when you get near Birmingham you're in hell. Always was, if you live up there of course you want to emigrate. I'm sorry, I always assume posters live in reasonable parts of England.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
She doesn't tell us where she lives. Obviously, if she lives in the north, she'd want to emigrate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.