Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Birthday trip to Vancouver Island

Birthday trip to Vancouver Island

Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Birthday trip to Vancouver Island

Can anyone on the Island, or even someone who has done the trip before, tell of any good stopping sightseeing touristy kind of things to do between Parksville and Tofino? How lovg is that drive, work colleagues tell me like two hours and others say four?

We are going April 10-14.....is it likely to be pissing with rain the whole time? As I live in the BC Interior no doubt my April experiences with weather are a lot different!

Anyone done the Hot Springs tour in Tofino??
Old Jan 15th 2016, 1:08 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birthday trip to Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by AlvicBC
Can anyone on the Island, or even someone who has done the trip before, tell of any good stopping sightseeing touristy kind of things to do between Parksville and Tofino? How lovg is that drive, work colleagues tell me like two hours and others say four?

We are going April 10-14.....is it likely to be pissing with rain the whole time? As I live in the BC Interior no doubt my April experiences with weather are a lot different!

Cathedral Grove is worth a stop - massive old growth cedars. Once you reach Long Beach there are plenty of opportunities to park and get out. There is an interpretation centre in the National Park that is worth a visit.

I would plan on near four hours than two. And yes, it will most likely be persisting down.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Cathedral Grove is worth a stop - massive old growth cedars. Once you reach Long Beach there are plenty of opportunities to park and get out. There is an interpretation centre in the National Park that is worth a visit.

I would plan on near four hours than two. And yes, it will most likely be persisting down.
Thanks JonboyE!! I might have to invest in sone Goretex clothing and a brolly then
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JonboyE!! I might have to invest in sone Goretex clothing and a brolly then
You should rent a motorbike and ride across the island.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 3:19 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If you are a masochist or... 100% waterproof
Old Jan 15th 2016, 3:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
If you are a masochist or... 100% waterproof
One of the best ways to see the island with opportunities to stop and for sightseeing. Might do a few days ourselves this summer.

By air is also awesome, but stopping opportunities are more limited.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:22 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
One of the best ways to see the island with opportunities to stop and for sightseeing. Might do a few days ourselves this summer.

By air is also awesome, but stopping opportunities are more limited.
Summer, yes- early to mid April? Risky
How is the bike? Did you have to wait long for the replacement?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
Ha ha.... Nice and all as that would be, my mum and Aunt from the UK will be with us and methinks they would not appreciate this
Old Jan 15th 2016, 4:43 am
I need a walk

Ha ha.... Nice and all as that would be, my mum and Aunt from the UK will be with us and methinks they would not appreciate this
Two bikes with sidecars and it would be like a Canadian episode of Wallace and Gromit- sorted

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 15th 2016 at 6:03 am.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 5:31 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Coombs Old Country Market is a popular short stop, it's close to Parksville. Sproat Lake makes another interesting short stop, especially if the Martin Mars is there. Ucluelet is great, the Wild Pacific Trail is a lovely walk.

Personally, I love Chesterman beach ... You can stand in the middle, close to Frank Island, & watch the tide come in on either side of you & the sunsets are fab! In Tofino town, Tonquin Beach is a 20 minute walk from Main St & is quiet & beautiful!!

If you don't stop its approx 3 hours, I was there a couple of months ago & it took me 5 because I kept stopping to take photos! (I attached one )

Of course it'll rain ... Apparently it never stops here
Attached Thumbnails Birthday trip to Vancouver Island-image.jpeg  
Old Jan 15th 2016, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Two bikes with sidecars and it would be like a Canadian episode of Wallace and Gromit- sorted
Lol be more like an episode of Carry On Round the Island
Old Jan 15th 2016, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Coombs Old Country Market is a popular short stop, it's close to Parksville. Sproat Lake makes another interesting short stop, especially if the Martin Mars is there. Ucluelet is great, the Wild Pacific Trail is a lovely walk.

Personally, I love Chesterman beach ... You can stand in the middle, close to Frank Island, & watch the tide come in on either side of you & the sunsets are fab! In Tofino town, Tonquin Beach is a 20 minute walk from Main St & is quiet & beautiful!!

If you don't stop its approx 3 hours, I was there a couple of months ago & it took me 5 because I kept stopping to take photos! (I attached one )

Of course it'll rain ... Apparently it never stops here
Well hallo you!!!! Sounds like something we will be doing too - stopping around every corner for photos lol. Thanks for the ideas, will look into them too. I'm so excited!!! I don't care if it rains all week lol.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 6:35 am
I need a walk

Lol be more like an episode of Carry On Round the Island
Maaaaatron!- Will you be the young Barbara Windsor?
Old Jan 15th 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maaaaatron!- Will you be the young Barbara Windsor?
not sure if I could fill Barbara Windsors "shoes" cough cough
Old Jan 15th 2016, 3:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Summer, yes- early to mid April? Risky
How is the bike? Did you have to wait long for the replacement?
All got sorted, we got a different bike in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.