Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Birth and child care in UK/Canada differences

Birth and child care in UK/Canada differences

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth and child care in UK/Canada differences

Out of curiosity, how common are homebirths in Canada? I've never had a baby in a hospital, and that seems to raise a few eyebrows in some circles. Not sure why - midwives are awesome!
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Out of curiosity, how common are homebirths in Canada? I've never had a baby in a hospital, and that seems to raise a few eyebrows in some circles. Not sure why - midwives are awesome!
I don't think they're that common over here, due to the over-medicalisation of childbirth. A friend just had one the other day. I was planning on one with an excellent team of midwives and heard many sharp intakes of breath from friends and colleagues when I was asked which hospital I was planning on going to. I unfortunately developed severe pre-eclampsia just prior to my due date, which ruled out the option. The midwife picked up on it, very appropriately got the OB involved (he sang her praises to me afterwards regarding her skill and professionalism!) and stayed with me throughout the induction/epidural/C-section saga. She attended to me in the hospital on a daily basis, gave kiddo his first bath and followed up with me at home/clinic for 6 weeks post-birth. Can't sing the praises of midwives high enough!!
Old Oct 29th 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
A little under 2% in Canada (1.8%; 2012). A little over 2% in England/Wales (2.3%; 2013). So not particularly common in either place. Under 1% in the US (although it varies by state; 0.2% in Lousiana; 2.6% in Montana; 2009).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle16050641/

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/...f-birth-2.html

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db84.htm

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 29th 2015 at 8:15 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I had my son in Leeds and several of the groups were in church halls.

Trust me tho - neither myself or any of the ladies I met were religious in any shape or form. Your wife will be fine.