Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Binge Drinking in BC becoming a problem

Binge Drinking in BC becoming a problem

Old May 11th 2012, 8:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Binge Drinking in BC becoming a problem

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Having 4 x young adults in my family situation 2 mine and 2 hers my view is that Canadian kids tend to pre game (going to a home and drink booze) before they hit the pubs and clubs. They tend to spend very little money on the booze in these places as they are quite hammered before they go out or they get a DD and take the booze with them. On the pretence of going out for a smoke they then throw a few more back.
It seems like the UK pubs offer specials like 20 quid drink as much as you can or between certain hours. Canada cant do this as we have minimum set drink prices and we cannot do the happy hour thing.
The UK culture is to drink in the town centres and then hit the chippys and kebab shops whereas Canadian kids will drink in the burbs without the need to go into the town or city centres.
I find there is less fighting between groups over here but there is violent crime here. Plus Canadian kids dont have that soccer hooligan mentality that we see lots of UK kids exhibit. They tend not to walk up streets chanting Who Are Ya or Here We Go etc etc.
I agree with most of that. Although around here we do have happy hours. But that's not so important: as you say, the binge drinking and drug consumption takes place in somebody's basement.
Old May 11th 2012, 8:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
this country is going to the dogs!
Nothing wrong with a bit of dog racing. It's the bollox.
Old May 11th 2012, 8:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Having 4 x young adults in my family situation 2 mine and 2 hers my view is that Canadian kids tend to pre game (going to a home and drink booze) before they hit the pubs and clubs. They tend to spend very little money on the booze in these places as they are quite hammered before they go out or they get a DD and take the booze with them. On the pretence of going out for a smoke they then throw a few more back.
It seems like the UK pubs offer specials like 20 quid drink as much as you can or between certain hours. Canada cant do this as we have minimum set drink prices and we cannot do the happy hour thing.
The UK culture is to drink in the town centres and then hit the chippys and kebab shops whereas Canadian kids will drink in the burbs without the need to go into the town or city centres.
I find there is less fighting between groups over here but there is violent crime here. Plus Canadian kids dont have that soccer hooligan mentality that we see lots of UK kids exhibit. They tend not to walk up streets chanting Who Are Ya or Here We Go etc etc.
Because they aren't very hard.
Old May 11th 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know you won't believe me, but I've no idea what was in fashion. I've never bothered with that stuff. I wore whatever stuff my parents bought for me and never took much notice.

After I went to Uni I wore jeans from the Salvation Army shop in Oxford and what were then called tennis shoes. Above the waist? Either a t-shirt or a pullover, depending on season.
I do believe you but dressing in what your mum and dad bought you?

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the term is vajazzle these days and they itch something rotten.
Oink - I had to look that term up.... aren't you a bit old for that sort of caper?
Old May 11th 2012, 9:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I do believe you but dressing in what your mum and dad bought you?
I can't imagine why you're surprised. Where else would I have got clothes?
Old May 11th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine why you're surprised. Where else would I have got clothes?
I'm not surprised your mum and dad bought them - I'm surprised you had no ideas of what you wanted to wear....
Old May 11th 2012, 10:18 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I'm not surprised your mum and dad bought them - I'm surprised you had no ideas of what you wanted to wear....
Who TF cares? I had better things to worry about. I still have, as those who've met me will confirm. The only thing that's changed is that I wear whatever the OH buys for me now.
Old May 11th 2012, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Who TF cares? I had better things to worry about. I still have, as those who've met me will confirm. The only thing that's changed is that I wear whatever the OH buys for me now.
Clearly not you!
Old May 12th 2012, 2:40 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to binge drink on my couch this evening. Then I'm going to give the cushions a good kicking.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:01 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I plan to binge drink on my couch this evening. Then I'm going to give the cushions a good kicking.
Hooded cushions?
Old May 12th 2012, 4:58 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

oi, what you looking at?
Old May 12th 2012, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Binge drinking here is dealt with completely differently than the UK. In Bristol, near where I lived in England, they set up special hospital tents in the city centre to treat drunk people wondering around. Compare that with Canada, where there is a zero tolerance policy for public drunkenness and haul you off and throw you in the drunk tank - they have recently talked about introducing this policy in the UK as well.

It's an unfortunate problem, but it's being recognized in the early stages and action is being taken. I don't foresee it making city streets must-avoid areas at night time with threatening behaviour the same way I experienced in England. As Former Lancastrian said it's less violent; Granville Street on a Friday/Saturday night reminds me more of european continental drunkenness with people just being silly and going a bit too far when having a good time. I still felt safe walking around.
Old May 12th 2012, 6:33 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Binge drinking here is dealt with completely differently than the UK. In Bristol, near where I lived in England, they set up special hospital tents in the city centre to treat drunk people wondering around. Compare that with Canada, where there is a zero tolerance policy for public drunkenness and haul you off and throw you in the drunk tank - they have recently talked about introducing this policy in the UK as well.

It's an unfortunate problem, but it's being recognized in the early stages and action is being taken. I don't foresee it making city streets must-avoid areas at night time with threatening behaviour the same way I experienced in England. As Former Lancastrian said it's less violent; Granville Street on a Friday/Saturday night reminds me more of european continental drunkenness with people just being silly and going a bit too far when having a good time. I still felt safe walking around.
You were clearly drunk and wondering when you wrote that. I rest my case. Point proven. Book him Danno

If drunken assaults on bus drivers or newspaper deliverers are people just being silly, I'd hate to meet you when you're in a bad mood
Old May 12th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

i must admit i am a little proud when people talk about binge drinking and hooliganism,
drunkeness in york.. the capital of gods county unheard of, its much worse the further you get into broken mining villages
Old May 12th 2012, 3:44 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
i must admit i am a little proud when people talk about binge drinking and hooliganism,
drunkeness in york.. the capital of gods county unheard of, its much worse the further you get into broken mining villages
Like fort mcmurray?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.