Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Biggest mistake?

Biggest mistake?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:55 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Biggest mistake?

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Ok,I googled Smalltown and there isn't such a place duh to me! Where do you live and what's so bad?
Hi Lorna...no you won't find "Smalltown", but that's what it should be called. It's a blip on the map in SW Ontario, between Goderich on the coast of Lake Huron and Stratford, famous for it's Shakespeare festival. I've mentioned certain things about Smalltown in previous posts......basically, it's a very pretty little place but without a focal point. A lot of the shops on Main Street have shut because the owners have retired and the younger generation don't want to continue with them.....even Crappy Tire pulled out, and Tim Hortons, MacDonalds and various other similar establishments aren't allowed near. Not that this is a bad thing......personally, I'm happy with that, as I never go into them anyway, but I thought it was done to enable the town to keep it's individuality. However, it's the few cronies who run the town, and own the two coffee bars who don't want to lose the business. Fair enough, I can live with that. Problem is the town is inhabited by narrow-minded bigots who have a dislike for anything and anyone new, so as well as shutting out businesses, they're shutting out new people who could inject a bit of life and energy.
As I've mentioned before, I've been told to lose my accent and join one of the many churches, the better to be accepted! Sorry - no can do to the first ridiculous suggestion, and why would I want to join a church to be welcomed by a group of hypocrites who won't accept us for who we are in the first place!
We were blatantly lied to about many aspects of the town...........it's like living in a Stephen King novel at times.......
I cannot stand the shallow, narrow mentality of the so-called "Friendly" people, who feel the necessity to announce their "friendliness" on big boards as you drive into town. If you have to announce such a thing, it doesn't usually exist.
Can't wait to leave..........as soon as the house is sold, we're off!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oldbag
Hi Lorna...no you won't find "Smalltown", but that's what it should be called. It's a blip on the map in SW Ontario, between Goderich on the coast of Lake Huron and Stratford, famous for it's Shakespeare festival. I've mentioned certain things about Smalltown in previous posts......basically, it's a very pretty little place but without a focal point. A lot of the shops on Main Street have shut because the owners have retired and the younger generation don't want to continue with them.....even Crappy Tire pulled out, and Tim Hortons, MacDonalds and various other similar establishments aren't allowed near. Not that this is a bad thing......personally, I'm happy with that, as I never go into them anyway, but I thought it was done to enable the town to keep it's individuality. However, it's the few cronies who run the town, and own the two coffee bars who don't want to lose the business. Fair enough, I can live with that. Problem is the town is inhabited by narrow-minded bigots who have a dislike for anything and anyone new, so as well as shutting out businesses, they're shutting out new people who could inject a bit of life and energy.
As I've mentioned before, I've been told to lose my accent and join one of the many churches, the better to be accepted! Sorry - no can do to the first ridiculous suggestion, and why would I want to join a church to be welcomed by a group of hypocrites who won't accept us for who we are in the first place!
We were blatantly lied to about many aspects of the town...........it's like living in a Stephen King novel at times.......
I cannot stand the shallow, narrow mentality of the so-called "Friendly" people, who feel the necessity to announce their "friendliness" on big boards as you drive into town. If you have to announce such a thing, it doesn't usually exist.
I went to Bayfield once for a couple of days. In March. Long couple of days.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Are you just leaving the town and moving somewhere else or are you leaving Canada?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want to buy 4 Avril Lavigne tickets? That'll cheer you up.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

fedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nice

Giving out our address!!!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:11 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Driving along after playing football.
Football, or the far more effette 'soccer'?

R.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:14 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Imagining that we'd be mortgage-free!!!!! I even had grandiose ideas about buying a vacation property somewhere nice!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:16 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fedupwithwaiting
Giving out our address!!!
To whom?
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest mistake? Asking on the previous page if I need to fill in tax returns, find out I do and then download them and now realise it'll be me that has to wade throught them all for me and Mr MMC tonight after a particularly hectic day today

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
To whom?
Relatives...maybe?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:18 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Biggest mistake? Asking on the previous page if I need to fill in tax returns, find out I do and then download them and now realise it'll be me that has to wade throught them all for me and Mr MMC tonight after a particularly hectic day today
You should still stop in at the post office/outlet and pick up the package as it has the envelope with the address on it.

Next year you will be able to file online.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Next year you will be able to file online.
Good job can't do that this year or I suspect my filing it online will consist of drop kicking the laptop through the living room window
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

fedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nicefedupwithwaiting is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Relatives...maybe?
yah, elderly parents descending on us for 1 month in June just as hubby goes away on 2 weeks business and we're moving house....talk about great timing and in between of course you have to play tour guide barbie and smile and wave
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:42 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Do you want to buy 4 Avril Lavigne tickets? That'll cheer you up.
That'll send her over the edge.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:45 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by fedupwithwaiting
yah, elderly parents descending on us for 1 month in June just as hubby goes away on 2 weeks business and we're moving house....talk about great timing and in between of course you have to play tour guide barbie and smile and wave
Awwww they can't be that bad!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.