Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:18 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck

England: 3 bedroom semi in South East England downstairs open plan lounge, dinning room, kitchen, upstairs 3 bedrooms plus bathroom. Built 1971

Canada: 4 bedroom detached 2500 sq feet, double garage, mud room, 4 bathrooms, 2 additional bedrooms in basement, oh yeah and a pool. . Built 1990

Bought this for less than what we sold our house in UK for back in May.

Raine

Last edited by raine66; Oct 18th 2006 at 12:09 am.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't have a house in England. I was only sixteen when I left.

Canada: 1,500 sq feet on three levels of a four level split built in 1972 plus another five hundred sq feet of mostly developed basement, over sized double detached garage. Corner lot sized 60'x110'.

Purchased for $108,000 in 1987 currently worth in excess of $420,00 a ridiculous amount but I guess that the current market.

Last edited by Hangman; Oct 17th 2006 at 11:53 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

stavex will become famous soon enough

4400 sq. ft. 5 bed log house, on 120 acres woodland/pasture with river frontage, built 1994
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

England: (1939) Max 700 sq ft 2 up 2 down semi with 120 ft garden.

Red Deer:1st house (2000) 1500 sq ft (up) smallish garden house much too big
2nd home (1979)1200 sq ft (up) 2 dble garages and lovely sized garden WE LOVE OUR HOUSE HERE. JUST RIGHT!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:32 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

My neighbour's army boots can beat up all your mawmie's honour stoodents.

Also, it's check, not checck, Novo - I thought you were a bit anal about that sort of thing? (If you need advice about lubricants, just ask.)

Last edited by hot wasabi peas; Oct 18th 2006 at 2:38 am.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

My neighbour's army boots can beat up all your mawmie's honour stoodents.

Also, it's check, not checck, Novo - I thought you were a bit anal about that sort of thing? (If you need advice about lubricants, just ask.)
Which lubricant do you recommend HWP?

To everyone else, let's leave price out of this. Or we'd have to bore each other.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Which lubricant do you recommend HWP?
Oh well, that's easy.. KY Gel all the way... long lasting, good tasting and cheap... just like me.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, that's easy.. KY Gel all the way... long lasting, good tasting and cheap... just like me.

My favourite too. But....get thee to the Maple Leaf, Strumpet!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:55 am

My favourite too. But....get thee to the Maple Leaf, Strumpet!!!!
Sometimes (of the month) I can not contain myself!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:59 am
Born again atheist

Sometimes (of the month) I can not contain myself!
OK. Today's the 17th. When can we talk again?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:06 am

OK. Today's the 17th. When can we talk again?
I'm actually not sure.... I'm 38, feel good and heading towards 'peaking' : it could be a while.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:11 am
Born again atheist

I'm actually not sure.... I'm 38, feel good and heading towards 'peaking' : it could be a while.
Good. Could you please peak in private, or at least on another thread?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:18 am

Good. Could you please peak in private, or at least on another thread?
Of course! I'm happy to put my fingers at a more pleasurable use.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:15 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

UK: 1,100 sq ft detached house, built 1996
Canada: 3,000 sq ft, detached, built 2002

The "Yard" (aka "Garden") in Canada 4 times the size of the UK house but the real space comes from the surrounding area; 1 minute's walk from the house and you're in the woods at the base of a mountain. Go the opposite direction and you're in the town within a 5 minute walk. Nice...

A lot of people seem to come here for "bigger homes" and/or "more space"... so let's see how people already here made out. Also, inspired by a conversation on another thread, just for interest, when was it built?

I'll start: Single detached ~2100 square feet: big yard, 70x450 ft (3/4 acres), built in 1954.
Attached Thumbnails Bigger house - more land: The Reality Checck-neighbourhood2.jpg  

Last edited by Chops; Oct 18th 2006 at 9:16 am.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:29 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this thread a little obvious.... doesn't everyone know that generally Canadian houses and plots are much larger than in the UK.

It's definately a plus to give yourself more room to live and the sense of 'breathing space' - totally different ( but not necessarily 'better' than our 16th century home ). Having visited my cousin in New Brunswick I did ask how much time she actually spent at the end of her 1 acre front garden to which the answer was her hubby travels down to it with the motorised mower occasionally. So if that's the case, what's the point in having it just for the sake of saying " I have a 1 acre front garden " LoL.

Anyway, it did look good looking out of the front window and the back garden had an out of ground pool in it which was nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.